PCPilot

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach E, FE
Country flag
For the last couple of weeks PAAK completely stopped working on my iPhone. I have tried resetting it in the vehicle, then removing and setting it up again on the phone. When I go through the setup, it always stalls after the prompt to copy the access code, then the phone says the setup failed. However, I get a notification through the app that paak has been enabled, and it shows on the list of devices, but I still get no response from the vehicle when trying to use it.

Anyone have any tips or tricks?
Sponsored

jddrews

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E Premium ER AWD Dark Matter Grey
Country flag
I'm having the exact same issues. Mine stopped working a couple of days ago after a month of near flawless operation. Resets won't hold. It's listed in the app but still gives me the prompt to set up PaaK and it's completely unresponsive. I know there was an iOS update recently so that may be a factor.

Thank goodness for FOBs.

SnBGC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E FE, 2021 Wrangler 4xe High Altitude
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
I use Android but same issue here as well. PaaK completely went offline about 12-14 days ago. PaaK has never been reliable enough for me to leave home without the fob but while at home I used to use PaaK to access the car for loading or unloading or moving it to a different parking spot in the driveway etc. The last couple of weekends haven't worked for PaaK. Either I go inside and get the fob or use the pillar and start code.

It hasn't been important enough for me to try and figure out how to get it working again. Will probably be getting a new phone in a month or two so maybe I will try setting it up on that device? Or maybe not.....not really something that I want to put too much effort into.

zvez

First Name
chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 GT PE Carbonized Grey with Nite Pony package
Occupation
retired
Country flag
For the last couple of weeks PAAK completely stopped working on my iPhone. I have tried resetting it in the vehicle, then removing and setting it up again on the phone. When I go through the setup, it always stalls after the prompt to copy the access code, then the phone says the setup failed. However, I get a notification through the app that paak has been enabled, and it shows on the list of devices, but I still get no response from the vehicle when trying to use it.

Did you delete the existing PAAK before you tried to do another one? On my droid had similar issue and found that deleting the existing PAAK phone sorted the issue.

If not, here is a step by step done by DTBaker61 on this forum. I don' t have a link to the original post but this is cut and paste, it's worked for others with PAAK issues."

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
My Goal in documenting this process was to complete config of FordPass - PAAK to enable setting a BackupStartCode that could be entered on Console if and when needed. Not really concerned with using PaaK on a daily basis or remote start... Just wanting a way to get into the car, and start it without EITHER Fob or Phone present in case of loss, damage, or dead batteries in Fob and Phone.

The Problem with PaaK config on some Android 9 phones (like mine) in the current (3/2021 PAAK), is that the FordPass app displays a screen in the very beginning saying that your 'Device is not supported' for Phone As A Key (PAAK) functionality. Don't be discouraged! The current release is a little flaky, and it may randomly drop the Bluetooth connect for Automatic FordPass features, but you WILL be able to set a Backup StartCode ... and have a 'virtual spare key' even if you lose both your Fob and your Phone.

After several days of trial and error, and some helpful communication from the PAAK development team at Ford, I was able to piece together a few not-well-documented details in the procedure that FINALLY got me thru with a valid Phone setup, and set a StartCode. With your 5-digit DoorCode, and Backup StartCode, you are set!

First steps are to clear any partial or 'failed pairings' from both your phone, and your MME console.

A - phone -
1. delete FordPass app from your phone
2. delete any previous Bluetooth pairings between phone and MME by
phone>settings>Connections> tap on Bluetooth
if there is any MME pairing, tap the 'settings' icon next to it, and unpair
There MAY be two depending how far you got before! delete both.
3. turn phone OFF, and restart

B.1 - in MME - It is probably a good idea to enable the Wifi Connectivity in your MME before enabling PAAK. If you have WiFi in your home, or whever you park your MME to do this Config, and future OTA updates, you might want to make sure that your MME recognizes the Network, has a password if needed, and can auto-re-connect when in range.

B.2 - in MME - Reset Phone as a Key to clear any partial Key stored in MME using the following steps on MME console after
starting MME. This is mostly from p63 of user manual, but I've included some pictures to help find the right place in the Console Settings:

1. Press Settings on the console touchscreen(upper right)
2. Press General.
3. Press Reset.
4. Press FordPass Connect Reset.
6. Confirm you would like to continue with erasing all Phone as a Key,
and Backup Start Passcodes by Pressing 'Continue' on the pop-up dialog.

C - in MME - delete the 'regular' Phone pairing as well so that you have a clean slate

1. Press Settings on the console touchscreen(upper right)
2. Phone> 'remove' if you had entered it previously, you will re-pair AFTER PAAK
3. turn OFF your MME, and exit the vehicle with your Fob and phone....

D - web - on your laptop or phone.... you will need your Ford.com email, password, and VIN

1. confirm/setup your MME, with VIN in your Ford.com account online
https://www.ford.com/profile/myprofilev2/innersettingspage/?navpath=ford-vehicle

verify that your vehicle appears under My Ford Vehicles, and the VIN number is correct, etc.

D - phone (while in MME) - Finally, to set up PAAK on the phone! you will need to enter your Ford.com email/password/PIN while sitting in MME during the process, so bring your login notes.....

1. Get your Fob and phone, and go sit in your MME...
2. foot on brake, 'Start' button to turn on, leave it in park
3. REMOVE foot from brake for remainder of config
4. download/install current version of the FordPass app on your phone from PlayStore
5. open FordPass app on phone when install is complete
6. login using Ford.com profile email and password (that you used in step C)
7. set/use your 4-digit FordPass PIN
8. allow full access to phone for contact lists, etc
9. you will FINALLY get the FordPass dashboard open, and below the on-App 'start' button, you
10. touch 'Setup Phone As a Key'

11. you may get a 'device not supported' dialog pop-up... click 'continue, I understand'
12. name your Phone to use as PAAK, continue....
13. App displays 6-digit temp Bluetooth passcode,
click the 'copy and continue' to put it in the phone clipboard
14. App asks for PIN, and hints it is usually 0000 or 1234.... it is NOT, its the 6-digit code you just copied to clipboard
15. tap-hold in the PIN entry area, and paste in the 6-digit passcode from previous step
16. if pairing FAILS, you have to delete EVERYTHING and start over

17. if pairing succeeds, the MME console will pop-up a dialog asking if you want to set up a Backup Start Passcode...
YES! Set up a StartCode you will remember if and when needed to ever start the MME without either a Fob OR phone present. This does not have to be numbers, you can use the full keyboard, and alpha& numbers for a decent password style StartCode

E - MME - re-pair your 'regular' phone Bluetooth connection

1. Settings > Phone List > add phone
2. follow prompts and re-pair 'regular' phone functions
3. turn MME OFF
4. exit MME, and put Fob somewhere more than 10' away, and turn OFF you phone, or put in 'airplane mode' so that the MME cannot connect to it

F - Verify that you can open and start MME without EITHER Fob or phone

1. approach your MME without Fob OR phone,
with 5-digit door code (on card or memorized), and use it to unlock and get in

------ this is the part not well documented... to START using the Backup StartCode -------

2. do NOT put your foot on the brake, just hit 'Start' button, Console will think for a bit,
and display a screen to allow entry of your Backup StartCode password set during config
3. touch the entry area, and enter your StartCode with the Console keyboard
4. THEN foot on Brake and 'Start' button can be used!

...done!

I have found that having both my Fob and Phone with me when entering the MME tends to 'confuse' the system. I would recommend choosing between:

1. putting the Fob in a drawer for 'spare', and use PAAK functionality... usng DoorCode+StartCode if and when the PAAK functionality screws up and doesn't see your phone.

2. delete FordPass App from your phone, never using PAAK, and use the Fob as a key... still with the Door+StartCode available if you lose the Fob. This should avoid your MME from getting confused if both Fob and Phone are present. You could re-install FordPass App on phone later without re-configuring PAAK if PAAK is 'fixed' in future OTA update.

-------

I hope this works for any/all of you who have been having trouble setting up and using PAAK, and were as nervous as I was about not having a 'spare'. - Dan

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Gary Hankins

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Edge
Occupation
retired
Country flag

Have you contacted the Ford representatives through the help page on the app? I had a similar issue some time ago and they walked me right through. Actually, they have always been helpful whenever I am stumped.
Sponsored