How are you paying for your Mach E?

• Total voters

back_at_it_19

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Job 1 GB FE and '22 Red Prem4x
Country flag
I did a comparison of 48 Mo Options and 48 Mo financing with a very large down payment. Came out that Options would only cost about $1,000 over 4 years.
Yep. Exactly the incentive, plus the option to bail. Now if u get $2500 incentive, that c changes a bit.
Sponsored

JDRGolfer1

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Mach E
Country flag
By that logic, why wouldn't you go borrow as much as you possibly can and turn around and invest it? It honestly makes no sense to me why you would go into debt for a car.
Because there's a certain amount of leverage you should(n't) have and borrowing as much as you possibly can would be a bad idea but you do you. Not going to argue over it, just stating the facts.

hybrid2bev

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Job 1 Premium4X - EAP Member
Country flag
Understood. I appreciate the reminder.

However if I am bailing after only a few years it will be because the FMV is significantly below the ‘balloon’ amount. If I am offered 20k in trade towards a 2024 MME but my balloon is 24k, is Ford going to call it even—assuming I am within miles and have no extraordinary wear?

Edit: or will I be able to use the balloon amount as a floor for a trade on a new Ford?
Below are the end of term options. Hope this helps. If I didn't explain it well I can try again. LOL.

If you return the vehicle an amount equal to the originally scheduled final balloon payment will be applied toward the satisfaction of any remaining obligations. (If that amount applied does not cover what you owe on the contract then you will pay the difference. This should only happen if you pay the loan late or less than your scheduled payments.)

Example scenarios:
1. After you've paid 35 monthly payments you owe $24k, the FMV (trade value) is $20K and your balloon note is $24k. You decide to turn it in then the amount of $24k balloon note will be applied towards the amount you owe ($24k) and you owe the disposal fee + mileage/wear charges. Walk away without any negative equity.

2. After you've paid 35 monthly payments, the Trade in value is $28K and your balloon note is $24k. You decide to trade it in then the amount of $24k balloon note will be paid off in the trade and you keep the $4k remaining or apply it as a down payment on your next vehicle. There is no disposal fee or mileage/wear charges.

Speculation:
**I don't know this for sure but I'm assuming if you have paid more during your contract term and you owe less than your balloon note at the end of your term and you return the vehicle to Ford Credit. We'll apply the balloon note amount as a credit towards your account and you may receive a refund of the over payment that is left over. But don't quote me on that.**

But if the vehicle is worth more than you owe, either because of a higher FMV or the fact that you've paid more than your scheduled payments: then it's probably better to trade it in or refi the balloon and sell it on your own for a profit. But that's up to you.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Poll: Ford Options vs Finance 1611368390416

shutterbug

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue FE
Country flag

AndyS_OSU

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Chevrolet BoltEV
Occupation
Educator
Country flag
Well some of us only get $1000 incentive, fyi... ?
This is the most perplexing part of car buying. How is it determined what incentives should be by region? I'm sure there are government things and sales figures things. But if I just think about the word by itself it suggests that money is there to incentivize a sale. Like EV's don't sell that well here in TX so why aren't they incentivized more here (we only get the $1000 currently)? Like I said there's probably a good reason but I've just never heard a great explanation.

Woeo

First Name
Woeo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Fusion Energi
Country flag
Below are the end of term options. Hope this helps. If I didn't explain it well I can try again. LOL.

If you return the vehicle an amount equal to the originally scheduled final balloon payment will be applied toward the satisfaction of any remaining obligations. (If that amount applied does not cover what you owe on the contract then you will pay the difference. This should only happen if you pay the loan late or less than your scheduled payments.)

Example scenarios:
1. After you've paid 35 monthly payments you owe $24k, the FMV (trade value) is $20K and your balloon note is $24k. You decide to turn it in then the amount of $24k balloon note will be applied towards the amount you owe ($24k) and you owe the disposal fee + mileage/wear charges. Walk away without any negative equity.

2. After you've paid 35 monthly payments, the Trade in value is $28K and your balloon note is $24k. You decide to trade it in then the amount of $24k balloon note will be paid off in the trade and you keep the $4k remaining or apply it as a down payment on your next vehicle. There is no disposal fee or mileage/wear charges.

Speculation:
**I don't know this for sure but I'm assuming if you have paid more during your contract term and you owe less than your balloon note at the end of your term and you return the vehicle to Ford Credit. We'll apply the balloon note amount as a credit towards your account and you may receive a refund of the over payment that is left over. But don't quote me on that.**

But if the vehicle is worth more than you owe, either because of a higher FMV or the fact that you've paid more than your scheduled payments: then it's probably better to trade it in or refi the balloon and sell it on your own for a profit. But that's up to you.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Poll: Ford Options vs Finance 1611368390416
Sorry I think I was just talking gibberish in my last post.

If FMV is below balloon amount and I want to escape I can:

....pay the disposal fee and go on my way with Ford crediting my account an amount equal to the balloon.

0r

.....avoid the disposal fee by trading the car on a new Ford, but that ‘trade-in’ will not benefit me beyond avoiding the fee. Ford would credit my account an amount equal to the balloon.

Last edited:

shutterbug

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue FE
Country flag
Makes no sense to me why anyone would pay cash when money is so cheap. That cash can be invested and earn a much better return than the amount you'd pay out in interest. Just my two cents.
You may get a better return by investing in stocks, but stock market has been known to to lose 30% or more in a very short time and then taking years to climb back out. Safer instruments are currently paying zilch.

Woeo

First Name
Woeo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Fusion Energi
Country flag
Pretty sure that $16,000 down payment will be less that 30% of my FE. Regardless, I intend to put down the maximum amount I can.
Fair enough. Originally you said you ran the numbers with a very large down payment. I didn’t want you to be surprised when you went into your dealer.

Last edited:

shutterbug

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue FE
Country flag
Fair enough. Originally you said you ran the numbers with a very large down payment. I didn’t want you to be surprised when you went into the your dealer.
Yes. I plan to be prepared when the car actually gets here.

JDRGolfer1

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Mach E
Country flag
You may get a better return by investing in stocks, but stock market has been known to to lose 30% or more in a very short time and then taking years to climb back out. Safer instruments are currently paying zilch.
Lol but why would you throw in $50-60k in short term to lose 30% (highly unlikely this will happen again in the next 10 years), statistically speaking, the chance that you make less than 2% on the market per year on average over 5 years is VERY low. But like I said, do as you please, I'm done with this conversation. Just take a finance class one time and those of you in disagreement will learn something.

Woeo

First Name
Woeo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Fusion Energi
Country flag
Lol but why would you throw in $50-60k in short term to lose 30% (highly unlikely this will happen again in the next 10 years), statistically speaking, the chance that you make less than 2% on the market per year on average over 5 years is VERY low. But like I said, do as you please, I'm done with this conversation. Just take a finance class one time and those of you in disagreement will learn something.
Yes how silly to invest short term to lose 30%. What could you be thinking? Take a class and learn something. The next decade is going to be smooth sailing. No one ever got bit by a small chance.

You’ll find me and JD on the golf course, smoking big stogies and laughing at you fools who think about things & take precautions with stuff like your money.

Last edited:
Reactions: DBC

DBC

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volt ELR
Country flag
Why would Options necessarily be better for the first three years because of the incentive? In my state the Options incentive is, as I mentioned, $1000. Still leaves ~$750 in interest to pay over 36 mos. [50k 2.25%]
Remember that you're not paying interest on the entire purchase price. You're paying interest on the declining balance. Just approximating, the question would be whether $1000 or $2500 is greater than (.025 - .009) X ($24,000 + $12,000) X 3.

Given the $1000 incentive doors not compensate for the higher APR over 48 mos and only matches at 36 mos, I would only consider Options if there was a chance I might not want to keep the car and would want to escape by turning the car over to Ford. If I plan to keep the car at all costs there is no need to consider Options.
This was my point -- a valid reason for choosing Options or Financing would be whether you were certain a BEV was for you and that BEV was the MME.

The disposal fee is sufficiently large enough to consider in that decision making. It may only be roughly a percent of the cost of the car, but $475 is a large amount for most people.
How would the amount of the disposal fee compare to a price cut of $11K on the MSRP of the MME? I can't remember the numbers off the top of my head, but Tesla cut the price of the Model S during the last year by something like $15K, and that was after the tax credits were gone. IOW does $475 matter if the choice is between buying out a three year old MME for $24K or buying a new one for $35K?

One reason you might want to do this is to reduce the amount of interest that accrues at the higher Options rate.

One reason you might not do it? Perhaps you find it morally wrong to game the system in that manner, knowing that if a sufficient number of people do so, Ford may not offer a program like Options in the future.
Actually you're just taking advantage of the rules to get another $1000 or $2500 off the purchase price. I don't see this as morally offensive. Ford dusted off Options because of the tax credit. If you can take advantage of the rules to save yourself a few thousand dollars do it. But as noted this is using Options as an alternative to purchasing without financing not purchasing with financing. Realistically not many people will do that.

mburtsvt

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Just 1 Rapid Red Mach-E
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Makes no sense to me why anyone would pay cash when money is so cheap. That cash can be invested and earn a much better return than the amount you'd pay out in interest. Just my two cents.
Correct answer....