Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
It's not just ICE drivers blocking charger spaces, it's other EV drivers too. There have been pics posted of that happening as well.

I hate that term "ICEd". It's got "-ism" written all over it, except I just can't figure out what the root noun should be. Fuelism?
fossilism? narcisism? sadism? ignoramusism? inhibitism?

How about watt-blocking?
Sponsored

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
fossilism? narcisism? sadism? ignoramusism? inhibitism?

How about watt-blocking?
I think you had it right in the latter part of your first post... Simply @$$holes. No matter what type of vehicle they're parking in the way.

OP
OP
timbop

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
OK, just because I have nothing better to do, I checked the EVgo station at the grocery store near my house. Granted the chargers are slower (50kw) and take longer to use, but 4 of the 6 chargers are in use at 5PM on a saturday afternoon.

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
OK, just because I have nothing better to do, I checked the EVgo station at the grocery store near my house. Granted the chargers are slower (50kw) and take longer to use, but 4 of the 6 chargers are in use at 5PM on a saturday afternoon.
I think that's more usage than I've ever seen when looking at chargers (not counting Tesla SCs). Seems like 95% of the time they're all empty. Not sure I've even seen 2 in use at once. Granted, I don't check them frequently, but in the last 7 months I've started looking more actively.

On our drive back from Vegas Thursday, I checked 2 ChargePoint chargers in the hospital parking in Richfield UT (there's a few hotels within walking distance so they're viable overnight candidates). They looked good, but when I got online I found the gotcha in the pricing -- $0.50/hour for the first 2 hours, $10/hr thereafter. Crap. That does no good. Need to be able to park it ONCE for the night and plug in an L2. If I can't do that, then I'm stuck just using EA.

I can see why daytime pricing would discourage someone hogging it it for 8 hours, but after 8pm or something it should just revert to the cheap pricing to allow for overnight charges. No one is gonna need it for a 2am arrival.

JamieGeek

Threads
Reaction score
Website
spareelectrons.wordpress.com
Vehicles
Mach-E, old: Bolt, C-Max Energi, Focus Electric
Country flag

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag

ab13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rav4 Hybrid
Country flag
I think that's more usage than I've ever seen when looking at chargers (not counting Tesla SCs). Seems like 95% of the time they're all empty. Not sure I've even seen 2 in use at once. Granted, I don't check them frequently, but in the last 7 months I've started looking more actively.

On our drive back from Vegas Thursday, I checked 2 ChargePoint chargers in the hospital parking in Richfield UT (there's a few hotels within walking distance so they're viable overnight candidates). They looked good, but when I got online I found the gotcha in the pricing -- $0.50/hour for the first 2 hours, $10/hr thereafter. Crap. That does no good. Need to be able to park it ONCE for the night and plug in an L2. If I can't do that, then I'm stuck just using EA.

I can see why daytime pricing would discourage someone hogging it it for 8 hours, but after 8pm or something it should just revert to the cheap pricing to allow for overnight charges. No one is gonna need it for a 2am arrival.
You can look for hotels with overnight chargers. Even Tesla L2 destination chargers could be used with a "Teslatap" adapter.

Kamuelaflyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Premium Infinite Blue. ER AWD. 2020 Raptor
Country flag
In the FWIW department: Ii do not have an EV (yet), but I've always paid attention to the chargers at the various stores and shopping centers around here. At Target there are 4 ChargePoint level 2 chargers, usually only one is occupied and charging. Those are in the center of the lot not convenient to either entrance/exit. Across the street there is another level 2, SemaConnect (?), its around a corner and out of the way. Never seen a car there ever.

The Hawaiian Electric DC fast Charger is about 1/4 of the mile away from those and it's almost always empty. In Waimea (aka Kamuela) up north, another DC fast charger is behind a grocery store that requires you go in a separate driveway, empty as well.

We're hardly a huge population center, 184,000 estimated in 2020 for the whole island, but apparently our EV drivers don't like walking either. ;)

Of course, a more logical explanation is that the EV drivers are charging at home.

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Of course, a more logical explanation is that the EV drivers are charging at home.
Especially in Hawaii. I've always said the perfect place for a BEV is an island. Range is a virtual non-issue when it's only a fraction of a charge from one side of the island to the other.

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
You can look for hotels with overnight chargers. Even Tesla L2 destination chargers could be used with a "Teslatap" adapter.
Problem is we're talking small towns along the way, not cities. There's just not much. One or two of the more expensive hotels have them, but that hotel cost difference is more than what it would cost just to charge at the EA station for $30 or something.

It's not that it can't be done, it just seems like a waste of money not to be able to charge cheapely on L2 overnight.

Kamuelaflyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Yeah for the most part. On Hawaii island the "Belt Highway," which doesn't exactly circumnavigate the entire island (but as close as is actually possible in any ground-based vehicle), the total distance is about 230 miles. That is mostly rolling hills but it climbs from sea level to 4500 ft at least twice. If you take the cross-island round, you can plan sea level to 7000 before starting the descent (either direction). There are sufficient fastchargers that range shouldn't be an issue, ever.

On the other islands, it's far better. The Dick Evan's Memorial Bike ride, which the Ironman bike ride was based upon, circles Oahu in 112 miles.

Hawaii state's EV adoption rate is the second highest in the nation, for good reasons it would seem too.

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Hawaii state's EV adoption rate is the second highest in the nation, for good reasons it would seem too.
Yep. Compounded further by expensive gas since it all has to be shipped in.

Not sure how electric rates compare there. Seems an ideal place for a lot or wind and solar, although I know views and asthetics sometimes present an obstacle.

Kamuelaflyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
HELCO, the Hawaii island utility is 49¢ per kWh during off-peak hours (9 am through 5 pm). That alone is the highest in the country (by far). During the overnight hours? 62¢ per kWh.

The off-peak time is 9 - 5 due, in a large part, to a large amount of residential net metering solar available during the day. As that dwindles away to nothing rates rise.

We personally have 36 solar panels, 3 inverters, and 2 batteries. We're essentially off-grid, though we are connected. There are no net-metering schemes of any sort available up here as there's a very large private solar array in the immediate area selling back to the grid and that took almost all available units up here. (That solar farm is offsetting the overnight use of deep freshwater well pumps which ultimately keeps our water bills down, so I'm not that upset. :) )

Charging the MME will usually occur in midday so that the batteries have a chance to replenish before late afternoon.

OP
OP
timbop

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
HELCO, the Hawaii island utility is 49¢ per kWh during off-peak hours (9 am through 5 pm). That alone is the highest in the country (by far). During the overnight hours? 62¢ per kWh.

The off-peak time is 9 - 5 due, in a large part, to a large amount of residential net metering solar available during the day. As that dwindles away to nothing rates rise.

We personally have 36 solar panels, 3 inverters, and 2 batteries. We're essentially off-grid, though we are connected. There are no net-metering schemes of any sort available up here as there's a very large private solar array in the immediate area selling back to the grid and that took almost all available units up here. (That solar farm is offsetting the overnight use of deep freshwater well pumps which ultimately keeps our water bills down, so I'm not that upset. :) )

Charging the MME will usually occur in midday so that the batteries have a chance to replenish before late afternoon.
Sounds like there are some negatives. On the plus side YOU'RE LIVING IN HAWAII.

Why am I still living in New Jersey....
Sponsored