Billyk24

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford C-Max Energi, Premium Mach-E ordered
Country flag
I am more than a little embarrassed to say that I have no idea what you are talking about, haha.....I'm glad no one on the forum knows me, haha.....the reason I have high MPG's is that I do most of my driving using the battery of the plug-in.....of my 38000+ miles, over 32000 are EV miles, so over the last 7 years, very little gas driving.....all the numbers I mention are from the lifetime summary as provided by the car......which is why I am a defender of plug-ins, I've driven it more like a EV than plug-in hybrid....I'm sorry that my lack of knowledge, some would call ignorance, doesn't allow me to answer your question.......I find that often the "tech" talk is way beyond me.....
Fill it up. put in EV Now and drive. When you run out look at the dash and the KWh usage. That is the test. An example of how inadequate the thermal regulation is, a member of a different forum drove 18K of the his first 20k in EV and posted high mpg. But he started bitching when he realized he lost 1.0kWh of capacity due to heat and stress related issues on the small battery pack. He changed his driving methods, charging practices and reported only a 0.5kWh loss in capacity during the next 50K miles.
An expert in solar and battery management with an advance degree in such, drove 46,000 miles and reported a capacity of 5.5kWh when 5.6 is the new usable capacity. Over the last 8,000 miles I have a mpg reading of only 50.6 but the lone kWh capacity test I did resulted in 5.6. It will go down with usage but retaining the current practices should retain the capacity at a greater rate than one posting near or at triple digit mpg numbers.
Sponsored

c max

First Name
phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 Premium Rapid Red
Occupation
retired
Country flag
Fill it up. put in EV Now and drive. When you run out look at the dash and the KWh usage. That is the test. An example of how inadequate the thermal regulation is, a member of a different forum drove 18K of the his first 20k in EV and posted high mpg. But he started bitching when he realized he lost 1.0kWh of capacity due to heat and stress related issues on the small battery pack. He changed his driving methods, charging practices and reported only a 0.5kWh loss in capacity during the next 50K miles.
An expert in solar and battery management with an advance degree in such, drove 46,000 miles and reported a capacity of 5.5kWh when 5.6 is the new usable capacity. Over the last 8,000 miles I have a mpg reading of only 50.6 but the lone kWh capacity test I did resulted in 5.6. It will go down with usage but retaining the current practices should retain the capacity at a greater rate than one posting near or at triple digit mpg numbers.
Hello, I was wondering, after searching for the "best" way to get maximum from my c max, I find nothing that would help me......maybe you could enlighten me and others who own plug-ins, how to achieve your results and that of the battery expert you mention......I find nothing on Ford literature......just to remind you, my getting high MPG's has nothing to do with me doing something special.......as I have joked in the past, I live in N. Jersey, which is a gift and curse.......EVERYTHING is within 5 miles of my house, so rarely do I go more than 10+ miles in a shopping trip, no commute, as I am retired, so almost all of my driving is with battery.....what specifically should be done to help preserve the battery and related systems.......HOW SHOULD I CHARGE???, HOW SHOULD I DRIVE????.......should I charge every other day???....should I use gas more than battery????etc., etc.....I am extremely interested in the specifics of what I should be doing.....your help and advice would be greatly appreciated......thank you

Billyk24

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Hello, I was wondering, after searching for the "best" way to get maximum from my c max, I find nothing that would help me......maybe you could enlighten me and others who own plug-ins, how to achieve your results and that of the battery expert you mention......I find nothing on Ford literature......just to remind you, my getting high MPG's has nothing to do with me doing something special.......as I have joked in the past, I live in N. Jersey, which is a gift and curse.......EVERYTHING is within 5 miles of my house, so rarely do I go more than 10+ miles in a shopping trip, no commute, as I am retired, so almost all of my driving is with battery.....what specifically should be done to help preserve the battery and related systems.......HOW SHOULD I CHARGE???, HOW SHOULD I DRIVE????.......should I charge every other day???....should I use gas more than battery????etc., etc.....I am extremely interested in the specifics of what I should be doing.....your help and advice would be greatly appreciated......thank you
CMax has inadequate thermal regulation. You need to monitor the hvb temperature. Amps being drawn, the internal cabin temperature, the hvb fans whether they are on or off, do not charge 0 to 100%, do not let the car sit in the hot summer sun as the hvb will heat up,do not do multiple chargers to full in a day. Consider using just the dlow 120 v outlet during warm summer nights for chsrging, a scanguage Ii hardware will monitor all these vslues.

c max

First Name
phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 Premium Rapid Red
Occupation
retired
Country flag
CMax has inadequate thermal regulation. You need to monitor the hvb temperature. Amps being drawn, the internal cabin temperature, the hvb fans whether they are on or off, do not charge 0 to 100%, do not let the car sit in the hot summer sun as the hvb will heat up,do not do multiple chargers to full in a day. Consider using just the dlow 120 v outlet during warm summer nights for chsrging, a scanguage Ii hardware will monitor all these vslues.
I never charge 0 to 100%.....usually I only run the battery to where there is 5-6 miles left....never charge multiple times in a day......always charge coolest time of day in summer, never when car is extremely hot..... and warmest time of day during winter.....only ever used a 120 outlet.....I will look into a scan gauge......if you can think of anything else, thanks.....

c max

First Name
phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 Premium Rapid Red
Occupation
retired
Country flag
I never charge 0 to 100%.....usually I only run the battery to where there is 5-6 miles left....never charge multiple times in a day......always charge coolest time of day in summer, never when car is extremely hot..... and warmest time of day during winter.....only ever used a 120 outlet.....I will look into a scan gauge......if you can think of anything else, thanks.....
PS......one more thing, any recommendations for the scan gauge??.....thanks again

shutterbug

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue FE
Country flag
Dude, I think you are trying to make serious points, but your typos are detracting from that. Are you typing on your phone?

Now to be serious. Yes CMax has issues with battery temperature. Don't quote me, but I seem to recall reading that the battery essentially shuts down when it (the battery) reaches 100.I doubt that it's much of an issue in most of the country, but it is a problem here in the desert. Here is how I deal with them:
  • When charging at home, I start between 9:00 PM and 12:00 AM.
  • When arriving at the office, I start charging at 6:00 AM and after it's charged, move it under covered parking. By the time I leave, the battery is sufficiently cool for the 5 mile drive home.
  • Use public chargers only when ambient temperature is under 100.
  • Park in the shade whenever I can.
  • Limit mid-day trips when it's really hot.
  • use EV later mode when it's really hot and the battery is not going to be of much use.
  • When going on a long trip, switch to EV later on freeways, reserving EV mode for surface streets.
I don't think it's possible to run the battery down to zero, since a portion of it is reserved for hybrid mode. the battery is 7.5KW, but approximately 2.5KW is reserved for hybrid mode. I always charge to full, and have not had much of a problem. I only use 110V charging, but that's mostly because I didn't want to spend thousands for a L2 charger for it. I am now getting the L2 charger for MME.

If the CMax battery was about 20KW, and had decent battery cooling, I probably wouldn't need a BEV, to be fully electric.

DBC

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volt ELR
Country flag
If the CMax battery was about 20KW, and had decent battery cooling, I probably wouldn't need a BEV, to be fully electric.
Very likely. Since most daily driving is under 40 miles the 50+ miles from a 20kW pack would cover it. Plus you could use gas for longer trips.

The problem is that PHEVs with packs this large and an electric drive train that will deliver full performance costs too much because of the need for two (not totally independent) propulsion systems.

shutterbug

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue FE
Country flag
Escape PHEV is damn near that.

OP
OP
ChasingCoral

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag

Billyk24

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Dude, I think you are trying to make serious points, but your typos are detracting from that. Are you typing on your phone?

Now to be serious. Yes CMax has issues with battery temperature. Don't quote me, but I seem to recall reading that the battery essentially shuts down when it (the battery) reaches 100.I doubt that it's much of an issue in most of the country, but it is a problem here in the desert. Here is how I deal with them:
  • When charging at home, I start between 9:00 PM and 12:00 AM.
  • When arriving at the office, I start charging at 6:00 AM and after it's charged, move it under covered parking. By the time I leave, the battery is sufficiently cool for the 5 mile drive home.
  • Use public chargers only when ambient temperature is under 100.
  • Park in the shade whenever I can.
  • Limit mid-day trips when it's really hot.
  • use EV later mode when it's really hot and the battery is not going to be of much use.
  • When going on a long trip, switch to EV later on freeways, reserving EV mode for surface streets.
I don't think it's possible to run the battery down to zero, since a portion of it is reserved for hybrid mode. the battery is 7.5KW, but approximately 2.5KW is reserved for hybrid mode. I always charge to full, and have not had much of a problem. I only use 110V charging, but that's mostly because I didn't want to spend thousands for a L2 charger for it. I am now getting the L2 charger for MME.

Without knowing what the traction battery temperature is and monitoring it while charging and driving, you are only guessing it is ok.

kdryden99

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Sentra Spec-V, Infinite Blue Mach E4X Prem
Country flag
Quebec just cancelled subsidizing Hybrid vehicles, however BEV's and PHEV'S will continue to receive subsidies.
Sponsored