Random IL Tags Question

bellyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 MME FE & '23 F-150 Lightning Lariat ER
Country flag
Now that I'm about 18 months and 22,000 miles into my Mach-E ownership adventure and more of them (and other BEVs) are hitting the road, I have started noticing that not all of them have the EL license plates here in IL that are mandated for BEVs. Does anyone happen to know how some BEV drivers in IL are able to get around the required EL tags? The EL tags come with a hefty registration fee compared to Ice vehicles, so I wonder if people are somehow skirting the law here...
Sponsored

jbooth

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Fit, Mustang Mach-E
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
I've seen a couple EVs without the EL plates. One Niro (?) with plain old IL plates. One, EV6 I think, with the conservation/nature/cardinal plate. I asked the Niro guy about it since it was charging in Bloomington-Normal we ran into him and he goes, "oh I just transferred it from my old car." It is maybe possible if you do a trade you get to keep the old plate until renewal?

Jet55

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1968 Porsche 911, 2021 Ram 1500, 2021 Mach E GT
Country flag
Late reply. I bought my car in Ohio and when I went to pay tax and register it they gave me regular plates.

YeastLyfe

First Name
Lance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Red 2021 Mach E Premium
Country flag
I've noticed the same thing with random Teslas, EV6s, Bolt EUVs. Don't know the answer though. What I do like about it is that the EL plates give one a picture of how quickly EVs are being adopted in Illinois since plates are just proceeding in numerical order. We got our MME in December of 21 and we're in the 43000s. We got a Model Y in February and that one is in the 47000s. I've seen plates well into the 50s. Definitely see the acceleration of EV registrations.

OP
OP
bellyer

bellyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 MME FE & '23 F-150 Lightning Lariat ER
Country flag
I have noticed a lot of Teslas lately with tags that have a vertical FP noted at the start of them. I guess those are fleet vehicles. Not sure if they are part of the Hertz rental fleet that they spun up with Teslas or something else, but I have found it curious that they do not need the EL plates.

machefan22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E 4X, 2003 Roush Mustang Convertible
Country flag
The EV plate type isn't required anymore. If you choose the regular passenger plate type and you have an EV, you still have to pay the extra $100 for registration and renewals. The same applies for all the specialty plates Illinois offers.

Chitown

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 GT Performance
Occupation
Software
Country flag
The EV plate type isn't required anymore. If you choose the regular passenger plate type and you have an EV, you still have to pay the extra $100 for registration and renewals. The same applies for all the specialty plates Illinois offers.
This is correct. They just mark your car as an EV in the system and add the EV surcharge to any tag now.
Sponsored