Range difference between 2022 CR1 AWD and Premium Extended Range AWD

Raddy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Fusion Hybrid
Country flag
I'm struggling to decide between the 2022 CR1 AWD and Premium AWD with extended battery. The only thing really holding me back from springing for the Premium is the range; CR1 AWD is rated for 300 miles, Premium AWD is only rated for 270. The confusing thing to me is that the difference between the CR1 RWD and Premium RWD is only 5 miles (305 vs 300) but the difference between the CR1 and Premium AWD is 30 miles. I know the CR1 has smaller wheels and weighs less, but then you would think RWD trims would have the same difference as the AWD trims. Is the Premium AWD range just conservative?
Sponsored

generaltso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME Premium AWD SR Infinite Blue
Country flag
The 2022 CR1 AWD hasn't been rated yet, and the ratings for all other models are just carried over from the 2021 model year, which doesn't include the increase in usable battery capacity. In other words, those numbers should not be used to make a purchasing decision.

mkhuffman

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT, Jeep GC-L, VW Jetta
Country flag
I'm struggling to decide between the 2022 CR1 AWD and Premium AWD with extended battery. The only thing really holding me back from springing for the Premium is the range; CR1 AWD is rated for 300 miles, Premium AWD is only rated for 270. The confusing thing to me is that the difference between the CR1 RWD and Premium RWD is only 5 miles (305 vs 300) but the difference between the CR1 and Premium AWD is 30 miles. I know the CR1 has smaller wheels and weighs less, but then you would think RWD trims would have the same difference as the AWD trims. Is the Premium AWD range just conservative?
In addition to @generaltso's point about 2022 EPA ratings, there seems to be some flexibility for Ford to report range estimates. For example, the GT has the same range as the AWD Premium, 270 miles. But look at the EPA city and highway MPGe ratings. The GT is less efficient, and should not have the same range as the AWD Premium. But Ford reports both have the same range. Obviously that is not correct.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Range difference between 2022 CR1 AWD and Premium Extended Range AWD 1636051063890

Use the MPGe ratings to make the comparison and you will make a better decision.

OWG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME Premium Extended Range AWD
Country flag
I went thru a similar analysis about a month ago. The lower MSRP, shorter wait and the longer range are attractive, but I was swayed by the IIHS ratings, particularly the Marginal on the CR1/Select headlights.

CR1 IIHS rating
Ford Mustang Mach-E Range difference between 2022 CR1 AWD and Premium Extended Range AWD 1636051580058

Premium IIHS rating
Ford Mustang Mach-E Range difference between 2022 CR1 AWD and Premium Extended Range AWD 1636051662491

2021 Ford Mustang Mach-E (iihs.org)

I need all the help I can get.