Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford Mustang Mach-E RWD ER
Occupation
Retired Software Engineer
Country flag
I did not realize until about two months of MME ownership that the car has a rear window washer. I looked in the WSM to see the electrical side of things and realized there is only one washer pump. The description seems to indicate that the motor spins in one direction for front and the other direction for rear. So there is only one washer reservoir.

The rear washer did not seem to work when I tried it and there seemed to be a gurgling sound around the upper left of the windshield. I tried it several times with the same result. I thought there maybe a leak in the hose going to the back. The front washers seemed weaker when I tried them afterward.

So for the first time I popped the covers under the hood and operated the rear washer. I did not spot any leaks. When I checked the rear window there were little streams of fluid going down, but nothing that would wash very good.

I tried the rear washer some more and finally noticed a good jet of fluid coming out of the driver's side jet. I cleaned off the area under the spoiler and got a good jet out of the center. I noticed the front washer jets are now much stronger than before I tried the rear washer.

The advice would be to get both the front and rear washers working when you get the car. Air in the rear washer line can affect the front washer.
Sponsored

OlyPen

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach E Premium Extended
Country flag
I've had that issue with other cars as well (2012 Ford Explorer, 2019 VW Tiguan and 2019 Nissan Leaf). Often you just have to run the rear window washer for a while to bleed the line. It'll sometimes happen when the fluid gets low as well.