rvdbijl

First Name
Robbert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E, Toyota Rav4 Hybrid
Country flag
I've started noticing that when plugging in my AC charger or when starting the car, there is a clicking sound coming from under the hood - rapidly in succession, about 5 times. It doesn't always seem to happen, and I'm not sure if there is a correlation with cold weather.
I'm on the schedule for the HVJB recall (even though I've had no issues), but today after charging the car, I got the dreaded Stop Safely Now and Accessory Power warning. Looking around on the forum I found this: (27) Try This First - Powertrain Malfunction / High-Voltage Battery Warning / Service Vehicle Soon While Charging | MachEforum - Ford Mustang Mach-E News, Owners, Discussions, Community which seems to have fixed it for now. But getting a bit nervous about this behavior for sure...

Has anyone else noticed the chattering relay/contactor? Is this an indication of a future problem?

I also found some correlation between charging the car in the cold weather (it's ~20F here now) and charging faults at the END of the charge cycle. I have it set to charge to 90%, and when reaching the end of the charge cycle, I sometimes get the message "charger fault". I walk out and unplug / re-plug the charger and it's fine (it doesn't charge anymore, but it was done anyway). I never have these issues in the summer or when temps are >40-45F. I wonder if this is a charger issue (I have an Emporia EVSE) or a car issue .. Anyone run into that?
Sponsored

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
Yes, many others have noticed it. It's the car, not the charger.

JSW

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Bolt; Porsche Boxster; Chevy Blazer; Jeep Wrangler
Country flag
Mine does this when itā€™s cold (and I just got the HVJB recall work done last week, so itā€™s not likely related). The sound makes me think the 12v is struggling.

I hope Iā€™m wrong and just getting flashbacks to 1979 (my old Pontiac turned over soooo slow when it got cold, and I couldnā€™t afford a new battery)

Last edited:

KevinS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E (sold), 2023 Ioniq 6 SEL
Country flag
I'm more alarmed when the motor that opens the driver's door sounds like its really groaning (like the battery is low.) :oops:

OP
OP
rvdbijl

rvdbijl

First Name
Robbert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Thatā€™s good to know itā€™s not just me. Iā€™ll mention it when my car goes in for the recall in a couple of weeks. Iā€™m sure it wonā€™t change anything, but maybe another data point for Ford ā€¦

Mach-Lee

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium AWD
Occupation
Sci/Eng
Country flag
Thatā€™s good to know itā€™s not just me. Iā€™ll mention it when my car goes in for the recall in a couple of weeks. Iā€™m sure it wonā€™t change anything, but maybe another data point for Ford ā€¦
There's nothing wrong with it, so you don't need to mention it to your dealer. The clicking is normal/operating as designed in cold weather.

OP
OP
rvdbijl

rvdbijl

First Name
Robbert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
There's nothing wrong with it, so you don't need to mention it to your dealer. The clicking is normal/operating as designed in cold weather.
I was more concerned about the charge faults every time the charge finishes when itā€™s cold. The clicking is fine now Iā€™ve read more details about it.

Mach-Lee

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium AWD
Occupation
Sci/Eng
Country flag
I was more concerned about the charge faults every time the charge finishes when itā€™s cold. The clicking is fine now Iā€™ve read more details about it.
Oh, get the firmware updated then.

Logal727

First Name
C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ā€˜21 Carbonized Gray Mustang Mach-E Premium AWD Ext
Country flag
lol way to get your car taken apart for no reason, the sounds are totally normal. You were better off coming here and getting the answer than wasting time at the dealership.

areacode413

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MachE
Country flag
I get the clicks on a ford evse. No charge faults. Did not think much of it myself.

CHeil402

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Audi A4, 2021 MME
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Country flag
This happened to me a few times last week when I plug in at work and had happened on occasion in the past. That charger has also caused the faults you mentioned, but they've always cleared without issue. I don't recall hearing that or having any issues when charging at home. Nothing enough to make me stop charging at work though.

Ford Motor Company

Official Ford Account
First Name
Ford
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E
Country flag
I've started noticing that when plugging in my AC charger or when starting the car, there is a clicking sound coming from under the hood - rapidly in succession, about 5 times. It doesn't always seem to happen, and I'm not sure if there is a correlation with cold weather.
I'm on the schedule for the HVJB recall (even though I've had no issues), but today after charging the car, I got the dreaded Stop Safely Now and Accessory Power warning. Looking around on the forum I found this: (27) Try This First - Powertrain Malfunction / High-Voltage Battery Warning / Service Vehicle Soon While Charging | MachEforum - Ford Mustang Mach-E News, Owners, Discussions, Community which seems to have fixed it for now. But getting a bit nervous about this behavior for sure...

Has anyone else noticed the chattering relay/contactor? Is this an indication of a future problem?

I also found some correlation between charging the car in the cold weather (it's ~20F here now) and charging faults at the END of the charge cycle. I have it set to charge to 90%, and when reaching the end of the charge cycle, I sometimes get the message "charger fault". I walk out and unplug / re-plug the charger and it's fine (it doesn't charge anymore, but it was done anyway). I never have these issues in the summer or when temps are >40-45F. I wonder if this is a charger issue (I have an Emporia EVSE) or a car issue .. Anyone run into that?
Hi there! Will you send us a message with your VIN and your local Ford dealer? I can look into things on my end.
Sponsored