Orangefirefish

First Name
SY
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
N/A
Country flag
I think we need to be reasonable on the legally required to mitigate thing. I don't think we want to see people hauled away in cuffs for a lapse in judgement in wearing a mask or inadvertently getting too close to someone. Maybe a small fine if anything. I would really like to see businesses enforce it and not necessarily be a legal requirement.
Thanks!
Indeed. It starts at self protection or social responsibility, and, in an ideal world, ends at social shaming/ostracism. I don’t know that a penalty is mandated but there can absolutely be legal guidelines without penalties. Private employers can and probably should require them for employees that have to work in close quarters.
Face masks allow us to slowly expose ourselves to the virus in a controlled way, where those that need to be hospitalized can be, ensuring treatment for the most vulnerable.
Antibody testing would be key for allowing people to return to work and businesses. We definitely need more data on what the future prognosis is for the antibody carrying population (especially those that were asymptomatic), but for a disease with such mutative characteristics and contagiousness (think common cold) herd immunity, not avoidance, is key to preventing its severity. Otherwise it’s just medical whack a mole by avoiding it.
Key to the future is making sure kids and babies get exposure to it. If it’s mutating, we need to make sure that the effects on this for the future generation are nothing more than that of a common cold.
Sponsored

Ken7

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, Lexus ES300h
Country flag
A doctor weighs in on where we are in the COVID-19 fight. I'm not saying this is the final word, but it is worth examining seriously.

https://thehill.com/opinion/healthc...in-stop-the-panic-and-end-the-total-isolation
I think when I mentioned this I was excoriated by someone.

Fact 4: People are dying because other medical care is not getting done due to hypothetical projections.

Critical health care for millions of Americans is being ignored and people are dying to accommodate “potential” COVID-19 patients and for fear of spreading the disease. Most states and many hospitals abruptly stopped “nonessential” procedures and surgery. That prevented diagnoses of life-threatening diseases, like cancer screening, biopsies of tumors now undiscovered and potentially deadly brain aneurysms. Treatments, including emergency care, for the most serious illnesses were also missed. Cancer patients deferred chemotherapy. An estimated 80 percent of brain surgery cases were skipped. Acute stroke and heart attack patients missed their only chances for treatment, some dying and many now facing permanent disability.

Nak

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y Performance, Tesla Model 3, 1992 K1500 Blazer
Country flag

Ken7

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, Lexus ES300h
Country flag
Wow. Very well thought out opinion. A logic driven argument based on known facts. It's going to be hard to poke holes in this argument.
Not for one or two on this board! ;)

OP
OP
Sweetwater

Sweetwater

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Country flag
While pondering about COVID-19 today and remembering a STAR TREK episode from the 1960s, I found the episode about a virus or disease that could only be killed by sunlight and intense UV radiation.

Star Trek - "Operation -- Annihilate!" Season 1, Episode 29, Original air date April 13, 1967--

"They (The crew) recall(s) the ship pilot that claimed he was free before diving into the sun, and suspect the sun's properties may harm the (single-celled) creatures. Despite numerous tests, Spock and McCoy fail to find a solution.

Kirk holds a senior staff meeting, asserting they must find a solution before the creatures reach the next inhabited planet, holding over a million people; a solution that doesn't kill the hosts. While using a computer, he realizes that they have not tried visible light as a means to defeat the creatures.

An initial test of blinding light results in the death of the specimen in sick bay. Spock then volunteers to be exposed to an intense beam of light, without eye protection, to prove that a creature infecting a host can be killed.

Though the test is successful, Spock is now blind. Analysis of the initial test shows that only ultraviolet light was necessary to kill the creature.

The Enterprise floods the colony with ultraviolet light from an array of satellites, killing the creatures on the planet and purging the parasites from the survivors. As the Enterprise prepares to leave orbit, Spock reveals that his Vulcan inner eyelids had prevented permanent blindness and that he can see again."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_--_Annihilate!

pbojanoski

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jaguar I-Pace
Country flag
While pondering about COVID-19 today and remembering a STAR TREK episode from the 1960s, I found the episode about a virus or disease that could only be killed by sunlight and intense UV radiation.

Star Trek - "Operation -- Annihilate!" Season 1, Episode 29, Original air date April 13, 1967--

"They (The crew) recall(s) the ship pilot that claimed he was free before diving into the sun, and suspect the sun's properties may harm the (single-celled) creatures. Despite numerous tests, Spock and McCoy fail to find a solution.

Kirk holds a senior staff meeting, asserting they must find a solution before the creatures reach the next inhabited planet, holding over a million people; a solution that doesn't kill the hosts. While using a computer, he realizes that they have not tried visible light as a means to defeat the creatures.

An initial test of blinding light results in the death of the specimen in sick bay. Spock then volunteers to be exposed to an intense beam of light, without eye protection, to prove that a creature infecting a host can be killed.

Though the test is successful, Spock is now blind. Analysis of the initial test shows that only ultraviolet light was necessary to kill the creature.

The Enterprise floods the colony with ultraviolet light from an array of satellites, killing the creatures on the planet and purging the parasites from the survivors. As the Enterprise prepares to leave orbit, Spock reveals that his Vulcan inner eyelids had prevented permanent blindness and that he can see again."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_--_Annihilate!
Thanks for the brief interlude @Sweetwater! ? ?
Sponsored