Road trip - optimize highway consumption and IPC noise

gafear

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Premium AWD ER
Country flag
I had to do a quick roundtrip to South Bend from Chicago ~90 miles each way.

On the way in, I used adaptive cruise control all the way at 75mph @ 22 Celsius / 70ish F (engage one pedal). I got 2.7 mi/kwh

On the way back, I used whisper without one pedal because for some reason I couldn't activate the adaptive cruise control - kept getting the error "Adaptive Cruise Control is not available". I was, maintaining 80-85mph most of the way and the computer said 2.9mi/kwh @ 17 Celsius (65 ish F)

The trip was great, two things to watch out
(I) adaptive cruise control can make sharp curves, but it failed to "see" a car in front of me and kept accelerating twice
(II) it is possible to hear the buzzing noise from the IPC even at 90 mph with the radio off. Even with wind and rubber noise. Seriously Ford?? How can Ford even have an SSM saying that noise is normal?

So a few questions if any of you have insights
1) is the 2.7-2.9 range good? For some reasons feels that the car should be more efficient
2) Any idea why I got the adaptive cruise control error? I charged DC fast charging right before
3) Is there a guide on the best mode / pedal setting for better efficiency in road trips?
Sponsored

Kabish

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E Mustang
Occupation
IT
Country flag
2.7 I would not consider to be great, but you do have the AWD version so I guess that is about 30 miles shy of what you should get. Doing 75+ is killer on the battery though, especially with the AWD so that is not doing you any favors. Interesting you got 2.9 doing 80-85, but so many things can factor range. Even being in a head wind vs a tail wind can be a big difference.

I'm by no means an expert though, just giving my two cents from what I've read.

RockwallRick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Ford Maverick FX4
Country flag
I average about 2.8 miles per kwh at 70 to 75 mph using whisper mode. Overall average is 3.3 mpkwh with a mix of city and highway driving. Temperature range mostly between 85 and 95 degrees.

nhdave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E, Ram 1500
Country flag
I would say speed is the biggest factor in efficiency. I have AWD and not generally being in a hurry to get anywhere average 3.5 to 3.9 miles/kwh driving 60-65 mph, at 75, closer to 3. Taking friends out for a demo ride, definitely in the 2's

TRP

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E P4x, Ford F150
Country flag
AWD EX here..................At 75 I can get 3.1. Slow to 70 and it's 3.3. I use IACC all the time.

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
So a few questions if any of you have insights
1) is the 2.7-2.9 range good? For some reasons feels that the car should be more efficient
2) Any idea why I got the adaptive cruise control error? I charged DC fast charging right before
3) Is there a guide on the best mode / pedal setting for better efficiency in road trips?
1. At constant >80 mph with an AWD, it is probably about right
2. No, but some others have seen it as well
3. The driving mode has zero effect on efficiency when driving at constant speed. The modes alter the feel of the brakes and steering as well as the responsiveness of the "go" pedal. Once you are up to speed and stay there then the efficiency is purely based on speed and topology/environmental factors like wind, elevation changes, air temperature, rain, etc

benk016

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag