Xlch59

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2003 mach 2004 Cobra 2007 GT500
Country flag
Hi everyone. I just got back from our first road trip up into the canyons with the new car. This is a drive that I have taken since I first started driving in 1976. It freeway from the East Bay up to the Napa valley. Then a twisty canyon drive up to Pope valley into Middle Town. Then over St Helena mountain back to the Napa valley. Once you get out of the valley there is almost no traffic and you can really open it up. St Helena mountain had just been paved less then a week ago.

The car drives fantastic in my opinion. It ran though the corners as fast as I wanted to go. It handles great even if I hit a corner to fast. It passed every car I wanted to. It's was faster then my 2007 GT 500 could make it. You can pass a car at over 80 without a problem. I did do a couple 1/4 mile runs and I did feel the drop off after 80 mph. The active cruise control is is great in traffic. In California the freeway speeds can be around 80 mph. I just set it a few mph above the car in front of me and keep it in the lane. I never used it much in the Shelby because of constant speed changes in traffic. It was just a blast to drive and I am happy I got it. It may not trap 110 mph in the 1/4 mile but for driving on public roads it a sporty 4800 lb crossover.
Sponsored

chrisGT

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford Mach-e GT
Country flag
How do you find the magnaride suspension and the overall road comfort?
The plain GT's is somewhat bouncy and in general it feels like the weak spot of an otherwise good car. I am considering upgrading to GTPE if the suspension is much better but of course there is no GTPE around to test drive so I would appreciate your feedback.

OP
OP
Xlch59

Xlch59

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I found the suspension pretty good. I only did a half hour test drive in a premium and that was just a short freeway and town drive. So I can't compare the two suspensions. The first part of the Twisties was on a older rough road and it did really good. There is definitely no bouncy with the ride.

HuntingPudel

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT-PE, 1979 Fire-Am, 1972 K/5 Blazer
Occupation
Engineering
Country flag
Sounds like a fun drive. It’s been a while since I’ve driven through that area. It’s a pretty drive.

scoopman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 KIA EV6 GT, 2021 VW ID.4 Pro S
Occupation
former electric pony jockey
Country flag
I gotta do some of that, maybe I can just Uber over to Richmond and see if I can find the orange one....

OP
OP
Xlch59

Xlch59

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Hy 29 over St Helena was the best I have ever seen it. They must have just put down new asphalt. It has some crazy passing lanes going south from Middle Town. There are 4 going up and 1 going down and all are in tight turns not in straightaways. It can be a lot of fun if traffic is light. The car did really good and stuck like it was on rails.
Sponsored