ROAD TRIP

eastern refugee

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E First Edition Grabber Blue.....GOT IT!
Occupation
insurance agent
Country flag
I am starting a new thread to discuss a road trip I am doing starting on March 1. I am driving from Bakersfield, CA, 99 miles north of LA , going to Houston Texas.
I planned the route on the navigation system as the ford pass app will not send it to MME. Apple car play is disconnected but the app says NO VEHICLE FOUND. Any way the navigation settings allow you to pick EVERY charger or just specific brands. I went with EA and ChargePoint as I feel they will be reliable and I can use my Ford credit.

I did find that I had to join the pass plus subscription with EA in order to get the cheaper rates. The cost is $4 a month with zero contract length. For $4 a month I will just keep it for the just in case moments in life.

the navigation gave me 3 different routes with just a slight difference in time. I took the middle route as that kept me on the I-10 for 95% of the distance looping around San Antonio. I believe it says 7 total stops but it might be 9. Not sure. My Buddy and I are using this as our first road trip to see

1. length of total drive time versus ICE. ICE is easy factor in that all we need is average cost of gas and the average of 23 miles per gallon and the distance

2. length of charging

3. how many extra stops we would likely make since we do a LOT of hockey road trips during a normal season.

I will post my daily experiences as I think that I will be the FIRST major road trip with an MME not employed by Ford.

our average speed will likely be about 83 as that is what we usually do. So this road trip will be a REAL road trip on how normally we drive. The function is NOT to make the most efficient by not using a radio or no heat or goi g say 65 MPH. This IS about driving an MME the way we would have driven my 2017 Ford Sport which has basically an F150 engine in a fusion body. HP is about equal with my FE. Torque is less but who cares. We are not racing/Towing. We will be utilizing one foot pedal.

wish me luck. I am hoping to put-the proverbial nail in the range anxiety issue.
Sponsored

SyNRG

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Explorer Sport & 2021 MME Select (SR) RWD
Occupation
Healthcare Data Analysis
Country flag
Good luck and looking forward to your end result, both realistic range and experiences at the public charging stations.

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
I am starting a new thread to discuss a road trip I am doing starting on March 1. I am driving from Bakersfield, CA, 99 miles north of LA , going to Houston Texas.
I planned the route on the navigation system as the ford pass app will not send it to MME. Apple car play is disconnected but the app says NO VEHICLE FOUND. Any way the navigation settings allow you to pick EVERY charger or just specific brands. I went with EA and ChargePoint as I feel they will be reliable and I can use my Ford credit.

I did find that I had to join the pass plus subscription with EA in order to get the cheaper rates. The cost is $4 a month with zero contract length. For $4 a month I will just keep it for the just in case moments in life.

the navigation gave me 3 different routes with just a slight difference in time. I took the middle route as that kept me on the I-10 for 95% of the distance looping around San Antonio. I believe it says 7 total stops but it might be 9. Not sure. My Buddy and I are using this as our first road trip to see

1. length of total drive time versus ICE. ICE is easy factor in that all we need is average cost of gas and the average of 23 miles per gallon and the distance

2. length of charging

3. how many extra stops we would likely make since we do a LOT of hockey road trips during a normal season.

I will post my daily experiences as I think that I will be the FIRST major road trip with an MME not employed by Ford.

our average speed will likely be about 83 as that is what we usually do. So this road trip will be a REAL road trip on how normally we drive. The function is NOT to make the most efficient by not using a radio or no heat or goi g say 65 MPH. This IS about driving an MME the way we would have driven my 2017 Ford Sport which has basically an F150 engine in a fusion body. HP is about equal with my FE. Torque is less but who cares. We are not racing/Towing. We will be utilizing one foot pedal.

wish me luck. I am hoping to put-the proverbial nail in the range anxiety issue.
Safe travels. Looking forward to hearing how it goes.

Have you found a way to use your EA Pass+ with Plug & Charge?

With any luck I will beat you by a couple of days with our departure for SW Florida. I'll be posting that in
https://www.macheforum.com/site/threads/my-travels-with-marlin-gb-fe-delivered.3298/

JellyBelly

First Name
Kris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME RR FE
Country flag
Safe travels - most of that trip is 75mph speed limit and I tend to drive-80-83 as well (staying below 10% over) - great route to try out Intelligent ACC and lane centering and one pedal

OP
OP

eastern refugee

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
insurance agent
Country flag
Safe travels. Looking forward to hearing how it goes.

Have you found a way to use your EA Pass+ with Plug & Charge?

With any luck I will beat you by a couple of days with our departure for SW Florida. I'll be posting that in
https://www.macheforum.com/site/threads/my-travels-with-marlin-gb-fe-delivered.3298/
1. YOU are stealing my thunder as being the first. Lol

2. I have not used a public charger yet. I keep resetting my odometer to correct for calibration on the newness. So far at 46 degree mornings it started at 100% at deal was 211. Now up to 241. After 1 week and 309 miles. I live my ChargePoint home charger as the app keeps me updated both on cost per charge based on my exact rate plan and my monthly cost. So far $22 versus $40 in my 2017 fusion sport based on raising gas prices and the average MPG I was getting. $18 a week so far and have not left town except to pick up my car.

Davedough

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E GTPE , Explorer ST
Occupation
Federal IT Sales Engineer
Country flag
I’ll be watching this thread as that sounds similar to my driving style. I’m interested to see your range. Also, update your bio, it’s no longer ordered, you have it

GoosePond08

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Fusion Hybrid
Country flag

2. I have not used a public charger yet. I keep resetting my odometer to correct for calibration on the newness. So far at 46 degree mornings it started at 100% at deal was 211. Now up to 241. After 1 week and 309 miles. I live my ChargePoint home charger as the app keeps me updated both on cost per charge based on my exact rate plan and my monthly cost. So far $22 versus $40 in my 2017 fusion sport based on raising gas prices and the average MPG I was getting. $18 a week so far and have not left town except to pick up my car.
I will say, the costs are probably going to be 'higher' for some people. I personally have a Fusion Hybrid and avg 45mpg. My refuels are around 10 gallons each time, and I get about 450 miles out of it. Sometimes more and in the winter closer to 420.

I don't spend more than $25 to fill up my tank. (at todays rates). With the Mach E needing more often recharging, and lower miles to do so. It appears it will be more expensive to refuel than my Fusion Hybrid is today.

generaltso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME Premium AWD SR Infinite Blue
Country flag
I keep resetting my odometer to correct for calibration on the newness.
I mentioned this in another thread, but will here too. You don't necessarily want to keep resetting your driving history because then it will never learn your driving habits. It was good to reset it when you first got the car to clear out any driving that wasn't you. But now you want to leave it alone so that it can learn how you drive and adjust it's estimated range accordingly. By continually resetting it, you get a more attractive range estimate, but it will be less accurate since you're making it start over every time.

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag

Actually, Dusty Dog beat us both but seems to only be on FB, not here. He's also road-tripping on I-70 in winter ?
https://www.macheforum.com/site/threads/dusty-dog-i-70-road-trip.3569/

OP
OP

eastern refugee

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
insurance agent
Country flag
Safe travels - most of that trip is 75mph speed limit and I tend to drive-80-83 as well (staying below 10% over) - great route to try out Intelligent ACC and lane centering and one pedal
Thanks,.... cannot wait!!!

OP
OP

eastern refugee

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
insurance agent
Country flag
I’ll be watching this thread as that sounds similar to my driving style. I’m interested to see your range. Also, update your bio, it’s no longer ordered, you have it
Thanks!!! I TOTALLY forgot about that...now corrected.

OP
OP

eastern refugee

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
insurance agent
Country flag
I mentioned this in another thread, but will here too. You don't necessarily want to keep resetting your driving history because then it will never learn your driving habits. It was good to reset it when you first got the car to clear out any driving that wasn't you. But now you want to leave it alone so that it can learn how you drive and adjust it's estimated range accordingly. By continually resetting it, you get a more attractive range estimate, but it will be less accurate since you're making it start over every time.
Thanks you !!!!! I did not know that...cool. Done resetting.

OP
OP

eastern refugee

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
insurance agent
Country flag