RWD -VS- AWD

Taura

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F350 & E350
Country flag
I'm ready to order my Mach E and I keep going back and forth on what I should choose. I'm going to order Premium, but then the option is:
1. Extended Range RWD @ 300 miles for $5000
OR
2. Extended Range AWD @ 270 miles for $7500
Obviously, there is much more power in the AWD option, but it is also at the loss of 30 miles and $2500 more dollars!
Thoughts...Is the AWD really worth it and do I really need it?
Sponsored

Last edited:

TRP

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E P4x, Ford F150
Country flag
If you're asking yourself this question then the answer is.....probably not.

I come from the midwest and my mindset is AWD for better winter performance even tho I no longer live in an area where that is important. I got AWD/Ext Range

RidingwithScotty

First Name
Erin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E Premium AWD SR aka Scotty
Country flag
AWD was a must have for me given that I'm in the delightful Mid-Atlantic with crazy winter weather swings. I can't imagine buying a vehicle without it; the question is, do you anticipate ever driving in conditions where you need AWD?

AZBill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Hummer EV SUT, MME CA Route 1
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
I am in Arizona and definitely don't need AWD, I went for a CA RTE 1 which has the highest range rating. I also did not go with a Premium, as I see no need for heated seats/steering or upgraded stereo, thus saved a few more $$. Since you are in SoCal, it is doubtful you need AWD either.

engnrng

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 GTPE, Kona EV, 2023 BMW iX
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
I am in Arizona and definitely don't need AWD, I went for a CA RTE 1 which has the highest range rating. I also did not go with a Premium, as I see no need for heated seats/steering or upgraded stereo, thus saved a few more $$. Since you are in SoCal, it is doubtful you need AWD either.
I am in SoCal also, went with CA RT 1 version for the same reasons as @AZBill. Plenty quick enough when I want to be at 70 at the top of the onramp for merging. Best range/power combo for the $$ if you don't need AWD or heated stuff. Frankly, it is quicker and corners better than my 2002 Mustang GT Convertible (which I have since sold!).

SyNRG

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Explorer Sport & 2021 MME Select (SR) RWD
Occupation
Healthcare Data Analysis
Country flag
Our family truckster is already AWD, thus we ordered a Select RWD (also build time is "faster" for RWD models).

I had my Mustang GT for years here in Socal, no issues, just avoided Grapevine during winter months because I was running sticky summer tires. :D

MarkP213

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E 4X Premium, Infinite Blue
Country flag
I'm ready to order my Mach E and I keep going back and forth on what I should choose. I'm going to order Premium, but then the option is:
1. Extended Range RWD @ 300 miles for $5000
OR
2. Extended Range AWD @ 270 miles for $7500
Obviously, there is much more power in the AWD option, but it is also at the loss of 30 miles and $2500 more dollars!
Thoughts...Is the AWD really worth it and do I really need it?
If you’re paying cash for the car, I can see where the extra $$ would be scary. If you’re going to be making payments, try running both options in Ford’s price calculator and see what the difference is in your monthly payments. It might not hurt as much!

I was worried about the extra 30 miles as well, but I haven’t had any issues finding charging stations on any long trips so far. There are plenty of useful trip planning tools out there, plus the navigation software in the Mach E works pretty well finding charging stations too.

I got the Premium, AWD, Extended Range and absolutely love it! I don’t drive crazy on wet roads, but feel better knowing I have AWD for stability.

Good luck and enjoy whichever one you pick!

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
I am in SoCal also, went with CA RT 1 version for the same reasons as @AZBill. Plenty quick enough when I want to be at 70 at the top of the onramp for merging. Best range/power combo for the $$ if you don't need AWD or heated stuff. Frankly, it is quicker and corners better than my 2002 Mustang GT Convertible (which I have since sold!).
Exactly; in Orange County you are unlikely to need AWD. Even here in NJ I can get away with RWD (I also have a route 1). So really the difference is $2200 to go from SR Premium to ER RWD Route 1, or $7500 to go with an AWD ER premium.
Sponsored