RWD vs. AWD

GregM

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi A3, Tahoe, Mustang Mach E Premium (on order)
Occupation
Communications/Marketing
Country flag
So - My Premium Space White ER RWD is back at the dealer to get their Diamond Ceramic Coating (exterior/interior) today. No judging, they gave me a fair price (1,800), and I don't have any other shop or basis of price comparison, and I lean towards ease even if it costs me a little more money.

So anyways. When the dealer called last night to confirm my appointment they said that I would get a loaner and that they would have an Explorer waiting for me. I roll up to the dealer and I don't see the Explorer waiting for me in the front like the guy said. No problem, I will walk inside, drop my keys off and I am sure they will pull the loaner around.

To my surprise, as soon as I told the guys who I was and that I was dropping off the Mach E, you could see the smiles behind their masks- they were so excited to see me (well, my car not me). And without blinking, they told me my loaner was their showroom floor, curtsey AWD Mach E. I was not expecting them to loan out their display model - talk about customer service!!

Naturally, on my way home, I had to take the car for a longer spin to see the difference between my RWD and the AWD. A few noticeable differences:

1) My Premium is a Space White with Light Grey Interior - the loaner is a Red and Black Premium. I still love my interior, but the black interior with the white stitching is pretty cool too. Pictures don't really let that white stitching pop as much as it does in person. Its a nice touch, but I do love my grey interior. And I love my Space White - it is in the white color family in person - pictures also don't do the Space White color justice.
2) OMG AWD is sooooo much quicker than the RWD...so much so I wish I got the AWD. I opted for range, and the fact that I'm in Richmond, VA, snow and ice is not an overwhelming concern considering EV RWD do just fine in that sort of stuff for the most part. In all senses of the word, AWD is faster. Faster in the giddy up, faster at speed, faster in the turns...it is just fun to drive. RWD is good and quick, AWD is better - I think this is obvious, but I hadn't had the chance to compare before today, so it was a hit-me-over-the-head, ah-ha moment - especially since I have been driving the RWD for about a week now.
3) One-pedal driving - I find that with AWD, it takes a bit longer to come to a stop than in my RWD - in the RWD, while in Unbridled, one-pedal is aggressive. AWD is not as aggressive.

I think that is it from a first impression comparison. I only have the AWD for one day - so charging/range, and other things are probably not something I will have time to fully play with.
Sponsored

Last edited:

BlueMach

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E First Edition
Country flag
AWD is a hard sell on Mach-E, IMO, because of the low range. The performance is nice, but I would rather have that performance from a larger rear motor and RWD, to improve efficiency. I don't want AWD, I don't need AWD. I only ordered it because you can't get Grabber Blue any other way.

Daraiders76

First Name
Jose
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach E Premium, 2008 Acura MDX, 2002 Toyota Tacoma
Country flag
I test drove the dealer unit (premium RWD)- I was impressed with get up and go for being RWD. Overall a fun drive. With the low center of gravity and heft of the battery-it hugs pretty well if not superior to my Acura MDX AWD. It gets up quicker than it too despite being lighter-(EV instant torque). I was tempted at the last minute to change to AWD-your review although it gave me a little bit of regret, driving the RWD yesterday was a GOOD thing!

OP
OP

GregM

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Communications/Marketing
Country flag
I test drove the dealer unit (premium RWD)- I was impressed with get up and go for being RWD. Overall a fun drive. With the low center of gravity and heft of the battery-it hugs pretty well if not superior to my Acura MDX AWD. It gets up quicker than it too despite being lighter-(EV instant torque). I was tempted at the last minute to change to AWD-your review although it gave me a little bit of regret, driving the RWD yesterday was a GOOD thing!
Don't get me wrong - I am happy with the quickness of the RWD - I think my wife would throw up in the AWD. My point was that the difference is very noticeable. Both are super fun to drive.

Mirak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
"Sonic" 2021 MME Grabber Blue First Edition
Country flag
Appreciate this comparison. I wavered between the Ext RWD versus Ext AWD and ultimately ordered the AWD because (1) the price premium is small relative to the overall cost of the car, and (2) the 30 miles less of range had no practical impact on my daily commutes or most frequent road trips. I thought it would be fun to have a slightly quicker car and that the AWD would be a bit safer. I'm glad to hear that you observed the AWD is noticeably quicker.

Dan G

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Hyundai Ioniq
Occupation
Pilot
Country flag
Don't get me wrong - I am happy with the quickness of the RWD - I think my wife would throw up in the AWD. My point was that the difference is very noticeable. Both are super fun to drive.
Don't put her in a GT! ?

Nice to hear this though. I ordered a ER RWD and have only driven a SR AWD. The more I hear though, the more I think I should have went with AWD.

Daraiders76

First Name
Jose
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach E Premium, 2008 Acura MDX, 2002 Toyota Tacoma
Country flag
True!
Nice comparison experience to have!
I think you should keep your RWD for now, but in 3 years turn in your options car and upgrade to the 2024 model with AWD - by then AWD will probably have a 300 mile range anyway, lol.
SO true!!

cassmoney0523

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Volvo S90, 2018 MB GLC300
Occupation
physician
Country flag
I think you should keep your RWD for now, but in 3 years turn in your options car and upgrade to the 2024 model with AWD - by then AWD will probably have a 300 mile range anyway, lol.
IMHO, this same logic applies to the GT. I wanted the GT at first, fear of missing out. As the mach E gets tested/seasoned...the extra money for an upgrade (2024 Mach E GT) makes more sense for me personally.

let go of the FOMO and enjoy the car you ordered, AWD...RWD... will likely be difficult to discern the two unless you do a rare back to back comparison

OP
OP

GregM

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Communications/Marketing
Country flag
Ease into it! I like it.

RVAtom

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E
Country flag
So - My Premium Space White ER RWD is back at the dealer to get their Diamond Ceramic Coating (exterior/interior) today. No judging, they gave me a fair price (1,800), and I don't have any other shop or basis of price comparison, and I lean towards ease even if it costs me a little more money.

...and the fact that I'm in Richmond, VA...
Hey Greg, which dealer are you dealing with? My reservation is with Richmond Ford West. It sure would be encouraging to hear they were excited to help someone with an MME. I haven't gotten the warmest feelings with them so far, but it has been limited interaction.

sldave84

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-e GT
Country flag
IMHO, this same logic applies to the GT. I wanted the GT at first, fear of missing out. As the mach E gets tested/seasoned...the extra money for an upgrade (2024 Mach E GT) makes more sense for me personally.

let go of the FOMO and enjoy the car you ordered, AWD...RWD... will likely be difficult to discern the two unless you do a rare back to back comparison
That was my thinking when I snatched up the FE that became available. Yeah the GT will be faster, but the FE AWD is fast enough and in 3 years they should have something to match the Tesla ludicrous modes via Shelby variation or what not. I would be having FOMO with my GT whenever the next one comes out anyway

OP
OP

GregM

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Communications/Marketing
Country flag
Hey Greg, which dealer are you dealing with? My reservation is with Richmond Ford West. It sure would be encouraging to hear they were excited to help someone with an MME. I haven't gotten the warmest feelings with them so far, but it has been limited interaction.
I used Richmond Ford West - I'm happy with them - sales guy is Michael Johnson...he is trying his best to get up-to-speed on the Mach E...and hopefully when I pick up my car tonight, they can resolve the Ford Pass issues I'm having (no PaaK feature, etc)....they are trying and I appreciate the effort. Come by at 6 and you can see my Space White...

RVAtom

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E
Country flag
I used Richmond Ford West - I'm happy with them - sales guy is Michael Johnson...he is trying his best to get up-to-speed on the Mach E...and hopefully when I pick up my car tonight, they can resolve the Ford Pass issues I'm having (no PaaK feature, etc)....they are trying and I appreciate the effort. Come by at 6 and you can see my Space White...
Man I sure wish I could stop by. I'm busy most evenings during the week. I'm hoping to stop by with my wife to drive their demo this Saturday weather permitting. And then my car should be here next week!

OP
OP

GregM

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Communications/Marketing
Country flag
Man I sure wish I could stop by. I'm busy most evenings during the week. I'm hoping to stop by with my wife to drive their demo this Saturday weather permitting. And then my car should be here next week!
Well, I'm happy that you will be getting your car next week, but I am sad I will no longer be the only one in town with it! I can still claim I was the first in Richmond...just be prepared to roll down your window and make time in the parking lot to talk to people - the stares you will get and the attention is amazing!
Sponsored