whadenIV

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 GTPE, '02 M3, '11 F-150
Country flag
IIRC there were issues in the past with coming down mountains and cars getting bricked.

Next week for T-Giving - I'm attempting my first long journey with the GTPE.
It will be the first time I'm charging on the road and heading into a charger desert. (so already anxious)

Trip Details - Bowie, MD to the cosmopolitan non-incorporated crossroads of Jumping Branch, WV.
I pretty much have my stops planned out but the last leg has two mountain ridges to overcome (both with Switchbacks)
One is an up and over a mountain and the last is just up a good grade to my final destination, where I'll only have a Level 1 charging opportunity.

I remember reports a few months back of cars getting overheated coming down long and steep(ish) grades.
Has that been solved through an update? and what advise does anyone have that can maximize my regen without getting stuck.

Anyone want to take a stab at confirming that this trip is even feasible? My main concern is ending up with enough juice in WV where I'll only have a Level 1 to charge for a few days for my journey home. (there is a Level 2 in Hinton, WV that I can use if my charging rates aren't enough at the house).

Hive mind ACTIVATE!!
Sponsored

phil

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
LS400
Country flag
Rent a car, and fill it up with gasoline. 100% guaranteed feasible.

Perhaps not the advice you were looking for...

JohnnyForensic

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Infinite Blue MME 4X Premium
Occupation
Digital Forensics
Country flag
Yes, that was fixed in software with all new MMEs when they were still making only non-GT models. I want to say it was fixed in March or April. Older units that haven’t gone into the shop for a module flash still have the issue as the OTA hasn’t dropped for it yet, I think, but all the new builds since Spring should be good. Problem was showing up later in Europe because their First Editions took a while to arrive by boat.

ahg

First Name
Arthur
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E 4x 2014 Accord V6
Occupation
retired
Country flag
IIRC there were issues in the past with coming down mountains and cars getting bricked.

Next week for T-Giving - I'm attempting my first long journey with the GTPE.
It will be the first time I'm charging on the road and heading into a charger desert. (so already anxious)

Trip Details - Bowie, MD to the cosmopolitan non-incorporated crossroads of Jumping Branch, WV.
I pretty much have my stops planned out but the last leg has two mountain ridges to overcome (both with Switchbacks)
One is an up and over a mountain and the last is just up a good grade to my final destination, where I'll only have a Level 1 charging opportunity.

I remember reports a few months back of cars getting overheated coming down long and steep(ish) grades.
Has that been solved through an update? and what advise does anyone have that can maximize my regen without getting stuck.

Anyone want to take a stab at confirming that this trip is even feasible? My main concern is ending up with enough juice in WV where I'll only have a Level 1 to charge for a few days for my journey home. (there is a Level 2 in Hinton, WV that I can use if my charging rates aren't enough at the house).

Hive mind ACTIVATE!!
3 mph x 24 hours X 3 days should be about 200 miles so if you don't have to drive while you are there you should be OK.

OP
OP
whadenIV

whadenIV

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 GTPE, '02 M3, '11 F-150
Country flag
Excellent. Thanks to all that provided helpful information.

ADDZ71

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 MME Premium ER AWD (sold) 22 MME GT (Del 5/22)
Occupation
Lithium expert
Country flag
I drive in the mountains of NC regularly and no issues or concerns. I think the roads where this happened were crazy steep for very long stretches with switchbacks in Norway or Sweden. I would not hesitate to drive mine into the mountains. Charging will be your challenge as I have run into that problem with only access to 110V charging.

markboris

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
_______ '20 Shelby GT500 FPB '21 Mach-E GTPE IS
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Just visited Yosemite nation park a few days ago. Didn't get any trouble when descending from Glacier Point (elevation 7000+ ft) to Yosemite valley (4000 ft per google) in about 30min.
How did you like Yosemite? It's one of my favorite places in the world and the reason I retired here in Sonora. Being only one hour away, I go quite often, many times just for the day.

Will, just so you know when going up steep hills, your range will quickly drop and you may become quite anxious but then going downhill the range freezes and I have even had it start to go back up so it's all good.
Sponsored