Karl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Recently my car has started refusing to read messages. I have an Android phone which seemed to work fine up until a week ago. But now, when I ask Sync to read messages, I get a response that says, "Here's your message." then immediately shows an orange circle on the display and goes back to playing whatever was on the audio. I've tried accessing messages through the push-to-talk button, saying "Alexa, read messages," "OK Ford, read messages," etc. I went into the phone menu and called up a list of messages, and tried clicking on them. Nope. Everything I tried says "here's your message" and send me immediately back to whatever was on the radio. I've tried clearing the cache on Android Auto and rebooting the phne to no avail. Any suggestions???
Sponsored

OP
OP
CameraCarl

CameraCarl

First Name
Karl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Voicemail, texts, or email?
Thanks for asking for clarification. These are text messages. The phone is a Google Pixel 6A running the latest software. I haven't tried voicemail or emails. I am sort of hesitant to find yet another problem. I'm having a hard enough time convincing my wife that getting a MME was a good decision after all the Ford Pass 5.0 update issues we've been having.

Snakebitten

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Mach-E
Country flag
If you go to "Phone List" in Sync4, every phone connected via Bluetooth will be listed.

I always have 2, so the feature I describe below is important for me to differentiate what roles to assign each phone.....

So expand the section in Sync4 for the phone in question. (if it isn't already)

There are icons that can be highlighted for each role a phone can play.
Phone
Media
Android Auto (if an Android)

If I enable the role of phone for the device, that also enables Sync4 to display my text messages and email messages (primary email account only).

So if the vehicle isn't moving, I can read my text and email messages.
If I'm underway, I can listen to them by touching the ear shaped insignia on the screen.
Admittedly I have never attempted voice commands to do either. You have me curious! Especially using Alexa.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Sync No Longer Reads Messages 20240524_124649

OP
OP
CameraCarl

CameraCarl

First Name
Karl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Yes, that is exactly the same screen I get with all my text messages on it. Except I don't see the little ear icon next to the messages. I see a long list of text messages on my phone, with open and closed envelopes, just like in the photo. But no matter what I do, I can't get Sync to read me the messages. I try tapping on the screen or saying read message one, or read all messages. In every instance all I hear is "here's your message" then silence. This just stared a few days ago. This is my third or fourth Ford with various versions of Sync and none did this.

Snakebitten

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Mach-E
Country flag
Interesting.

If no ear icon on the screen, something has audio disabled.

I wonder if some kind of permission on either Sync or the device was changed without knowledge?

OP
OP
CameraCarl

CameraCarl

First Name
Karl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
If there was I couldn't find it. I spent a lot of time trying to troubleshoot before posting.

Snakebitten

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Mach-E
Country flag
I'm assuming you unpaired, forgot, deleted the phone from Sync4, and rebooted the phone and Sync4 and started over?

(Not describing a Sync4 hard reset or anything related to FordPass)

OP
OP
CameraCarl

CameraCarl

First Name
Karl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I'm assuming you unpaired, forgot, deleted the phone from Sync4, and rebooted the phone and Sync4 and started over?

I'll try that the next time I go out to the car. Thanks.

OP
OP
CameraCarl

CameraCarl

First Name
Karl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E
Occupation
Retired
Country flag

I just tried unpairing the phone and rebooted it then resynched it. Still can't get Sync to read the text messages. Still get the "here's your messages" voice then silence. I guess I'll need to start pulling over whenever I hear the alert that a message has arrived if I want to see what it says. Bummer.

Snakebitten

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Mach-E
Country flag
Agree. Bummer

Well I would be haunted until I could do process of elimination, just so I could know is it my phone or is it my car?

Gotta a throw down phone to put your SIM in? 😁

Or even a family members phone to setup quickly as a second phone? It's easy to use "Phone List" to give the second phone primary status.

Mach T

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-e
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I have the same issue with my Samsung s22. So I started using Android auto to replay my messages and it does so wonderfully.
Sponsored