Sync4 vs Google Maps/Apple Maps/Waze?

moogerfunker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E
Country flag
Hi everyone, has anyone here compared the Mach-E's GPS (who I believe is provided by TomTom) against any of the major phone-based map programs? Using something like Google Maps is easy with the wireless Apple Carplay and Android Auto, but was just wondering if the built-in solution is also good with things like traffic predictions, ETA accuracy, etc.
Sponsored

Mach-E VLOG

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
machevlog.com
Vehicles
Mach-E GT PE - Grabber Blue - Blucifer Twocifer
Country flag
I haven't done extensive testing, but I have jumped back and forth from SYNC to Google Maps. SYNC did OK most times, but twice it tried to route me incorrectly at the destination. Once was for an EA station. It directed me to the street next to the charger but there was no access from that street. Google Maps seems to know exactly where the chargers are and even routes me in the parking lot. The same thing happened going to a friends house in an condo complex. It routed me to the street closest to their condo, but there was no access from that street.

SYNC was nice to use on our recent road trip because it added in the EA stops for me.

OP
OP

moogerfunker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E
Country flag
I haven't done extensive testing, but I have jumped back and forth from SYNC to Google Maps. SYNC did OK most times, but twice it tried to route me incorrectly at the destination. Once was for an EA station. It directed me to the street next to the charger but there was no access from that street. Google Maps seems to know exactly where the chargers are and even routes me in the parking lot. The same thing happened going to a friends house in an condo complex. It routed me to the street closest to their condo, but there was no access from that street.

SYNC was nice to use on our recent road trip because it added in the EA stops for me.
Thanks for the feedback! And BTW - love your videos!

fayt349

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW i4 eDrive 40 M-Sport
Occupation
Network Support Engineer
Country flag
Im using SYNC more than apple carplay to be honest. Isn't bad at all.

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
The search function in sync nav doesn't work the way one would expect. I was 100 miles from the charging stop I knew I wanted to make at the walmart in east stroudsburg PA, so I tried to use the voice search (since I was driving it disabled the keyboard even though my wife was in the passenger seat). I kept trying to search "walmart in east stroudsburg pennsylvania" in various iterations, and it kept giving me local walmarts. I gave up and waze found it on the first try (through android auto).

trutolife27

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lincoln mkx , Ford f-150, Mache
Country flag
I have had problems with sync a few times. One time in a wreck on I-75 and it tried to reroute us way out of the way.

What I usually do is use google maps for nav where I'm going just put in the DC faster charger I know I'm going to. Then open waves on top of that for traffic and other road items. ;)

bcraven01

First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E Premium Standard Range Battery - AWD
Occupation
Cyber Security
Country flag
Using wireless Android Auto and Waze today. Instantly noticed the turn by turn direction in the front center display. Great feature, right.
After about 30 mins and close to my destination the front screen turn by turn froze. Display continued to work as speed was working etc but Waze froze. Waze contintued to work on the main, large screen. Started working again after a full stop.
Add this to our list of bugs. :rolleyes:
Sponsored