ChargedCheese

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME 4XE, 2017 BMW i3 94wh
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
I'm definitely a convert. I thought the shifter was ridiculous when I test drove and bought the car. Its now second nature, and I quite like it. Giving the shifter a HUGE counter-clockwise spin to throw the car into park after a stressful Denver interstate drive feels great - almost therapeutic.
Sponsored

thanman

First Name
Nathaniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW m235 Coupe
Country flag
If you’ve not had any ford vehicles 2020 or newer, the dial is a new concept. Having had two vehicles with the dial, it’s extremely intuitive compared to the alternative. I mean, have you tried driving a Tesla or Mercedes with the stalk shifter? Or the “bounce back” console shifters that BMW or some FCA products used? Considering that traditional forward backward shifters had dash illuminated lights that read Left to Right for PRNDL for decades, using the dial Left to Right for the same selections is actually incredibly simple to use.
OK I've gotta defend the BMW bounce back shifter here for a second. That thing makes three point turns happen lightning fast. Jam it back for drive, jam it forward for reverse. No need to look at what you're doing.

And I've got to agree with OP here that the best style for a dial shifter would be R all the way on one side and D all the way on the other. Being able to do it without even glancing is a huge benefit in my book.

Jimrpa

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Infinite Blue Premium Mustang Mach E ER AWD
Occupation
Retied (formerly tried to herd highly technical, independent cats)
Country flag
Yeah, it somehow offends some people that Ford would have the audacity to put a power button in an electric car. Personally, I prefer the car to only turn on when I tell it to.
I want a huge, mechanical 200A breaker, not some silly little electronic “switch” that doesn’t do anything ?

joes723

First Name
Joey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 GTPE IBSM "LITHEUM"
Country flag
OK I've gotta defend the BMW bounce back shifter here for a second. That thing makes three point turns happen lightning fast. Jam it back for drive, jam it forward for reverse. No need to look at what you're doing.

And I've got to agree with OP here that the best style for a dial shifter would be R all the way on one side and D all the way on the other. Being able to do it without even glancing is a huge benefit in my book.
Just like the bounce back, it's just a matter of remembering the number of "slams" or number of "clicks". From D to R 2 clicks; P to D and D to P obviously are the easiest. The bounce back shifters aren't the worst, but they are a little too "video game-ish" for my liking and feel like I could break them by slamming them too hard. The main reason why a lot of manufactures are switching to the dial is because it takes up considerably less room both physically and aesthetically. Since you have nothing sticking upward more than an inch or so, it adds to the feeling of open space. At least its not like a Genesis where they put the dial shifter right under the dial that controls the screen.

joes723

First Name
Joey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 GTPE IBSM "LITHEUM"
Country flag
Rotary shifter was introduced in 2017 Fusions I believe. We had one on our 2018 Fusion Energi.
We got our first dial shifters in our '20 Edge ST, 20' Explorer ST and '20 Escape Hybrid Titanium, which I think is when they became more standard across the lineup. My 2015 and 2017 Edge Sports had the traditional console handle.

generaltso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME Premium AWD SR Infinite Blue
Country flag
At least its not like a Genesis where they put the dial shifter right under the dial that controls the screen.
My wife’s Pacifica had the rotary shifter mounted on the dash right next to the volume knob. Good thing it was smart enough not to shift into Park on the highway when somebody tried to turn down the music.

ARK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E
Country flag
I like our shifter, I could see people wanting R to be on one end instead of P, but the rotary works really well and I would prefer it to any stalk set up.
Sponsored