ScarGo

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
f150 Tremor
Country flag
My wife's next car will either be a Tesla Model Y or the Mach E GT. Ford really needs to advance their autopilot to be as good as Tesla's. If not they will loose this sale. This is not me deciding, this is coming from the wife. If it were up to me I would choose the Ford for fit and finish. Ford please listen.
Sponsored

silverelan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag
Tesla's Autopilot (AP) is really just the marketing name for Lane Keep Assist and Adaptive Cruise Control. Full Self Driving (FSD) is their autonomous package for things like Navigate on AP, Advanced Summon, etc. AP and FSD both require you to keep your hands on the steering wheel at all times.

The Mach-E comes with the lane keeping and adaptive cruise control. Ford also promises that they're going to have true hands-free driving available for the Mach-E with their version of Supercruise. Basically, they'll have interstates mapped out with ultra accurate LIDAR and the Mach-E will be able to safely drive itself on those routes.

A couple of major differences in the hardware/software suites between Ford and Tesla is that Ford offers blind spot warning on the side mirrors (Tesla uses rendering on the screen) along with rear cross traffic alert. If you've ever backed out of a parking spot unsure if pedestrians, kids on bikes or cars are coming, cross traffic alerting is amazing.

Check out the list of features from the 2019 Ford Edge to get a good idea of what will be offered on the Mach-E and note that it'll be the 2.0 version.
https://www.ford.com/technology/driver-assist-technology/

Billyk24

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford C-Max Energi, Premium Mach-E ordered
Country flag
Lane Keep Assist and Adaptive Cruise Control--has existed for awhile. My 2016 Toyota RAV4 Hybrid has a form of this when cruise control is put on, the RAV4 will identify the side lane markers and will self control the vehicle into the middle of the lane if needed. Adaptive speed control exists in that the vehicle will slow down and speed up according to what ever is in front of you (in your lane). If you don't keep your hands on the steering wheel for like 10 seconds a significant warning is flashed on the dash. My 2017 Cmax Energi does not offer this feature.

Trekkie

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model X Standard Range, Chevrolet Bolt EV, Fiat 500E
Occupation
IT Architect
Country flag
I have a Model X with Autopilot.

All you get is lane centering, and adaptive cruise control down to 0 with that.

The $7000 Full Self Driving upgrade currently gets you Lane Changing when you detect a slower car, or if you turn on the turnsignal, and will navigate on a highway through the appropriate interchanges, then there's the summoning in the parking lot stuff, and auto-park.

As near as I can tell, what's coming in the Mustang Mach E at launch is the top one, their Co-Pilot 360 is equal to Autopilot, except it includes parallel and perpendicular parking. If you check youtube for 2019 and 2020 fords or lincolns there are demos of the tech too.

Sebounet

First Name
SĂ©bastien
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang GT 2018
Country flag
Does someone know if the ford system will be able to automaticly avoid a crash? Like if you are in the highway in the middle lane and someone in the right lane change direction to your lane just in front of you suddendly. Tesla will look if on the left lane there is no one she can change lane quickly to avoid crash

Billyk24

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford C-Max Energi, Premium Mach-E ordered
Country flag
Autopilot and avoiding crashes? Plenty of video indicating it doesn't work all the time.

KAustin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Kia Telluride
Country flag
Does someone know if the ford system will be able to automaticly avoid a crash? Like if you are in the highway in the middle lane and someone in the right lane change direction to your lane just in front of you suddendly. Tesla will look if on the left lane there is no one she can change lane quickly to avoid crash
There is a crash avoidance system. Video on Ford's website.

ClaudeMach-E

First Name
Claude
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach 3- Tempo- Malibu(3)-Actual Kia Sportage AWD
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Tesla's Autopilot (AP) is really just the marketing name for Lane Keep Assist and Adaptive Cruise Control. Full Self Driving (FSD) is their autonomous package for things like Navigate on AP, Advanced Summon, etc. AP and FSD both require you to keep your hands on the steering wheel at all times.

The Mach-E comes with the lane keeping and adaptive cruise control. Ford also promises that they're going to have true hands-free driving available for the Mach-E with their version of Supercruise. Basically, they'll have interstates mapped out with ultra accurate LIDAR and the Mach-E will be able to safely drive itself on those routes.

A couple of major differences in the hardware/software suites between Ford and Tesla is that Ford offers blind spot warning on the side mirrors (Tesla uses rendering on the screen) along with rear cross traffic alert. If you've ever backed out of a parking spot unsure if pedestrians, kids on bikes or cars are coming, cross traffic alerting is amazing.

Check out the list of features from the 2019 Ford Edge to get a good idea of what will be offered on the Mach-E and note that it'll be the 2.0 version.
https://www.ford.com/technology/driver-assist-technology/
And don't forget that FSD comes at a cost of $8,000, although now Tesla will offer an option FSD at $4,000 I believe this is the part that will include Park Assist (without the summon) that's right Tesla's don't have Park Assist unless you pay an extra for it, included in the Mach-E by the way. So yes the MME offers a lot of tech to assist driving.

RyZt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E4X
Country flag

RyZt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E4X
Country flag
Tesla's Autopilot (AP) is really just the marketing name for Lane Keep Assist and Adaptive Cruise Control.
Lane Keeping and Lane Centering are different. AP (and Mach E) has both. The one that matters with ACC is Lane Centering, which keeps the car centered in the lane while on cruise control. Lane Keeping is for preventing you from going off the lane while steering manually.

Mjtee2

First Name
Mick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Space White Premium; Rapid Red First Edition
Country flag
Tesla’s Enhanced AutoPilot is haphazard, at best, and not always reliable. On AutoPilot, my Model 3 routinely: tries to exit the freeway on it’s own; slams on the brakes spontaneously while traveling down the freeway; does not match posted speed limits; tries to switch to on-coming lanes on surface streets; etc. I will admit that we are advancing toward cars having self-driving capability but we are not reliably there yet.

GoGoGadgetMachE

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E 1st Ed., 2022 Lightning Platinum
Occupation
Professional forum cheerleader and fanboy
Country flag
This is a bit off topic but the ongoing Level 5 issue is the edge cases. Even if a car could do 99% self driving, that still wouldn't be enough to really trust your life to it, because the impact of the 1% failure is so high - literally life threatening.

There's a reason the manufacturers are making sure all the docs say "it's on you ultimately."

I work in IT and have high confidence in technology, but there's a limit.

Kamuelaflyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Premium Infinite Blue. ER AWD. 2020 Raptor
Country flag
This is a bit off topic but the ongoing Level 5 issue is the edge cases. Even if a car could do 99% self driving, that still wouldn't be enough to really trust your life to it, because the impact of the 1% failure is so high - literally life threatening.

There's a reason the manufacturers are making sure all the docs say "it's on you ultimately."

I work in IT and have high confidence in technology, but there's a limit.
I routinely and periodically trained in 0 visibility landings in a modern airliner. I also did them irl. I watched the automation do a stunningly good job. And I trust it as far as I can spit. Glitches happen. Over dependence on the magic isn't a good thing.

GoGoGadgetMachE

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E 1st Ed., 2022 Lightning Platinum
Occupation
Professional forum cheerleader and fanboy
Country flag
I routinely and periodically trained in 0 visibility landings in a modern airliner. I also did them irl. I watched the automation do a stunningly good job. And I trust it as far as I can spit. Glitches happen. Over dependence on the magic isn't a good thing.
tbf we don't know how far you can spit
Sponsored