Tesla Supercharger network now up to 66 locations with Magic Dock (4/17/24)

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
you may need to use the Tesla app, identify the charging stall and press the release icon on the app and the physically do it on the charging stall. You missed one step.
Did all that. Selected the stall# in the Tesla app first, then held the NASC handle lock button for 2 seconds to lock the NACS handle to the MD. Wouldn't lock on.
Sponsored

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Yes I used a magic dock with my app showing have adapter. In fact I did not open the Tesla app, just pushed the button for two seconds, got the dock, plugged in and it works with P&C. did this with my Mach E and with my Rivian.

It was likely the Tesla station that had the issue. When you push the button for 2 seconds, you will hear a click, locking the adapter to the Tesla handle, when it is working correctly.
Yeah, if I had the Tesla certificate showing in FP that probably would have worked, but I don't. Got the PowerUp 3 weeks ago but it never installed the Tesla certificate. So I had to try it the old way (activate via the Tesla app). Wanted to try that anyway just in case ever decided to sign up for the Tesla discount (although unlikely I'll do that).

I'm curious why that "Have an Adapter" setting even exists in the Tesla App. If using the MD, you're supposed to be able to do the 2-second lock button. If using your own adapter, seems like you just pull the handle, attach your own adapter, and plug in. Not sure what this "Have an Adapter" setting is even needed for. Which made me wonder if it's to tell the charger to not lock the MD on?

Screenshot_20240322_091654_FordPass.jpg

thekat03

First Name
Kat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Mustang Mach-E CR-1, 2022 Volvo C40
Occupation
Physician
Country flag
Did all that. Selected the stall# in the Tesla app first, then held the NASC handle lock button for 2 seconds to lock the NACS handle to the MD. Wouldn't lock on.
It was definitely more fiddly last time I used one of the magic docks, last month. Did you push the cable handle up against the MD after pressing and holding the button for 2 seconds?

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
It was definitely more fiddly last time I used one of the magic docks, last month. Did you push the cable handle up against the MD after pressing and holding the button for 2 seconds?
Yep. Tried multiple times. The MD would push in a little as expected but wouldn't release, since the NACS handle would never lock on first. Just couldn't get it to lock on. Even tried canceling the session in the Tesla app then starting fresh. Just wouldn't lock on.

I didn't bother trying a different one since I was just playing and it was pretty busy. I might go try again when it's slower. Probably just a bad MD, although that "Have an Adapter" setting still has me wondering if that's why.

AZBill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Hummer EV SUT, MME CA Route 1
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
you may need to use the Tesla app, identify the charging stall and press the release icon on the app and the physically do it on the charging stall. You missed one step.
Tesla got rid of that. Now it is hold the button for 2 seconds, once it locks, push up on the handle then pull it out.

AZBill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Hummer EV SUT, MME CA Route 1
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
Yeah, if I had the Tesla certificate showing in FP that probably would have worked, but I don't.
You do not need the certificate showing, mine is not showing in the app, but P&C still works.

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
You do not need the certificate showing, mine is not showing in the app, but P&C still works.
Really? Interesting! I'll have to try that.

Well, if I can get the MD to lock on. 😎

Progress

First Name
Rufus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Red MME GTPE
Occupation
retired
Country flag
Tesla got rid of that. Now it is hold the button for 2 seconds, once it locks, push up on the handle then pull it out.
Agreed. The second time I tried it (after failing because I didn't hold, then push up) all I needed to do was hold the button down on the handle and push up until I heard a click, and then the adapter comes out. I did not even need to identify the stall number. This was at the MD in Glendale.

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I knew of the 2-second button lock, but I didn't realize the order changed too. That's what I was doing wrong. Used to have to activate in the app FIRST, now (if not using P&C) it looks like you have to activate in the app SECOND after locking/removing the MD.

Screenshot_20240322_113720_Tesla.jpg

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Figured out the main (only?) purpose for the "Have an Adapter" setting in the Tesla app. It determines which stations to display on the map. For a non-Tesla vehicle, "No" will only display Magic Dock stations, while "Yes" displays both MD and adapter-capable stations.
Sponsored