Tesla Tap Mini

generaltso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME Premium AWD SR Infinite Blue
Country flag
Are all destination chargers also managed with OTA updates? Or can I hope that whatever hotel/restaurant I end up at neglected to connect theirs to wifi?
Only the white ones are Gen 3. If it's gray, it's not a smart charger. Even after the Gen 3 destination chargers are wide spread, I wouldn't think most establishments would want to forcibly prevent non-Teslas from using them. Let's just hope that it doesn't end up being a default setting.
Sponsored

quitepossibly

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3
Country flag
Only the white ones are Gen 3. If it's gray, it's not a smart charger. Even after the Gen 3 destination chargers are wide spread, I wouldn't think most establishments would want to forcibly prevent non-Teslas from using them. Let's just hope that it doesn't end up being a default setting.
I think the Tesla only setting may become more common as more and more establishments install the Tesla wall connector. The reason being that the Tesla Gen 3 wall connector allows these establishments to charge money users for the charging session. They need to limit it to Tesla only since Tesla has a proprietary payment platform that is integrated with their vehicles.

generaltso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I think the Tesla only setting may become more common as more and more establishments install the Tesla wall connector. The reason being that the Tesla Gen 3 wall connector allows these establishments to charge money users for the charging session. They need to limit it to Tesla only since Tesla has a proprietary payment platform that is integrated with their vehicles.
Let’s hope that‘s the exception and not the norm.

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
Except most establishments see the Tesla chargers as a cheap way to attract customers. Restaurants and hotels won’t care if they drive Tesla or another EV brand.

methorian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E First Edition, Mini Cooper SE
Occupation
IT Admin
Country flag
Except most establishments see the Tesla chargers as a cheap way to attract customers. Restaurants and hotels won’t care if they drive Tesla or another EV brand.
I think this is true, and will be for most businesses, but it will stink to not know for certain if they've enabled "Tesla-only mode". Many businesses with Tesla Destination chargers have employees with no idea that they even have EVSE's onsite. Will be difficult to find out before arrival whether they are open to all or Tesla only.

Maybe Plugshare will start labelling them based on user feedback.

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
I think this is true, and will be for most businesses, but it will stink to not know for certain if they've enabled "Tesla-only mode". Many businesses with Tesla Destination chargers have employees with no idea that they even have EVSE's onsite. Will be difficult to find out before arrival whether they are open to all or Tesla only.

Maybe Plugshare will start labelling them based on user feedback.
Lots of folks check in with plug share and photograph the station. That alone reveals if it’s a Gen 3 or earlier. Also, a successful check in from a non-Tesla driver is a sure sign.

Kamuelaflyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Premium Infinite Blue. ER AWD. 2020 Raptor
Country flag
Out here, which admittedly is a rather inconsequential slice of the BEV market, the hotels, resorts, and shops with Tesla L2 chargers all also have another non-tesla charger. And they're all free. Part of your "resort fee" I'd bet.

DBC

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volt ELR
Country flag
Out here, which admittedly is a rather inconsequential slice of the BEV market, the hotels, resorts, and shops with Tesla L2 chargers all also have another non-tesla charger. And they're all free. Part of your "resort fee" I'd bet.
Yes. Most destination chargers have at least one J1772 port as well, but there are some that only have Tesla plugs. I can think of two -- one in Cambria and at La Posada in Winslow -- but I can't imagine either of those places wanting to deny guests access to their chargers. Plus there are CCS chargers nearby, so after screaming at the desk and venting you can go and get a charge there. :)

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
Yes. Most destination chargers have at least one J1772 port as well, but there are some that only have Tesla plugs. I can think of two -- one in Cambria and at La Posada in Winslow -- but I can't imagine either of those places wanting to deny guests access to their chargers. Plus there are CCS chargers nearby, so after screaming at the desk and venting you can go and get a charge there. :)
The restaurant/hotel I charged at last weekend had three Tesla destination chargers, no J1772s. It's also in an area with very little charging.

generaltso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
The restaurant/hotel I charged at last weekend had three Tesla destination chargers, no J1772s. It's also in an area with very little charging.
Same here. There are quite a few hotels near me that have Tesla destination chargers, but no J1772.

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
Same here. There are quite a few hotels near me that have Tesla destination chargers, but no J1772.
Mapping hypothetical trips in plugshare, the number of hotels that only have tesla or have more tesla plugs than j1772 is a significant fraction. Pulling a number out of thin air I'd say having a teslatap would at least double the number of plugs you could gain access to. My concern is the new version 3 smart tesla destination charger: they're pushing the ability for the hotel or whatever to be able to charge directly through tesla's system so it's a no-fuss transaction for the hotel. Of course that also means the teslatap won't work.
Sponsored