Jimrpa

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Infinite Blue Premium Mustang Mach E ER AWD
Occupation
Retied (formerly tried to herd highly technical, independent cats)
Country flag
Yes, the battery pack gives EVs a lower center of gravity. But adding a sunroof up top still hurts performance...that's why it's an optional extra-cost option on the GT/GTPE...Ford assumed a performance driver would not want it. The car in the photo is my Focus RS, an ICE car (350 hp, 350 lb/ft torque, 3350 lbs.). It has no battery pack...it's just an illustration of a "non-cylindrical" object rotating about its axis from polar momentum. My Mach-E GTPE weighs 4830 lbs. But performance improvement is measured in grams of lost weight...every single pound lost counts (especially at the top of the car).
Cool. Thanks. And my bad for mistaking a focus RS for the Mach E 1400 (I’ll sit in the corner for a while on that one!)
Is that rotation about an axis that you’re describing what I would call “yaw”?
Sponsored

RetiredDP

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Focus RS
Occupation
Retired Director of Videography, Editor, Compressionist
Country flag
Cool. Thanks. And my bad for mistaking a focus RS for the Mach E 1400 (I’ll sit in the corner for a while on that one!)
Is that rotation about an axis that you’re describing what I would call “yaw”?
No, yaw is a rotation around the vertical axis, i.e., when the back end of the car swings out. My car is showing rotation along the horizontal axis, i.e., when the car tilts.

Last edited:

RetiredDP

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Focus RS
Occupation
Country flag
Quite true, which is why for the factory race cars there used to be cryptic options that triggered things like heater delete, radio delete, insulation delete, ”swiss-cheese” frames, roll-up window delete, etc.
Also thinner-and-lighter acid-dipped body panels (illegally done in NASCAR).

HuntingPudel

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT-PE, 1979 Fire-Am, 1972 K/5 Blazer
Occupation
Engineering
Country flag
Also thinner-and-lighter acid-dipped body panels (illegally done in NASCAR).
The exception to this is the stuff I named were all race-legal things offered to the public by the various auto makers like Chevy COPO, Pontiac Bobcat, etc.

Jimrpa

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Infinite Blue Premium Mustang Mach E ER AWD
Occupation
Retied (formerly tried to herd highly technical, independent cats)
Country flag
No, yaw is a rotation around the vertical axis, i.e., when the back end of the car swings out. My car is showing rotation along the horizontal axis, i.e., when the car tilts.
Got it! Thanks. I know yaw, roll, and pitch from aircraft. I wanted to be sure I understood which axis you were talking about. You’re talking about roll then (the car rotating about an axis going from the nose of the car to the tail)?

RetiredDP

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Focus RS
Occupation
Country flag
Got it! Thanks. I know yaw, roll, and pitch from aircraft. I wanted to be sure I understood which axis you were talking about. You’re talking about roll then (the car rotating about an axis going from the nose of the car to the tail)?
Yes.

Draconfier

First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda Cx-9, Mustang Mach-e GT (on order)
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
Honestly, I would have opted for Co-Piolt 360/Active 2.0 if it could have been had with a metal roof. I just did not want the glass roof.
^This exactly. As many issues that have cropped up on the wind noise. The leaks, the mis-fits of the panoramic roof I opted to go GT. The only other option was the Standard(no option for extended range battery).
I had some initial concerns about heat, but the forums have basically put that at ease.....except for interior degradation from infrared/other light levels degrading the interior. I once had a sunroof on a firebird that leaked as the vehicle got older...so that concern isn't something I'll know until 5-10 years from now when all the first model years start/don't start having leaks.

I would love to have the option of solid roof, extended range, AWD Bluecruise Active, and Magneride in the non performance addition, but unfortunately this doesn't exist.

The closest I could get for the majority of the options was GT no pano/no Bluecruise. They offered the option on the 2021 for Bluecruise and no Panoramic roof but removed that option on the 2022. You HAVE to get both when selecting one it automatically adds the other.

HuntingPudel

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineering
Country flag
<snip>
I would love to have the option of solid roof, extended range, AWD Bluecruise Active, and Magneride in the non performance addition, but unfortunately this doesn't exist.

The closest I could get for the majority of the options was GT no pano/no Bluecruise.
<snip>
I figured the Magneride was worth the cost of the GT Performance Edition package, so I went with that. That is where I got screwed by Ford. Magneride was more important to me than the BlueCruise stuff, so I ordered a base 2021 GT-PE. Some people went with a GT with BlueCruise because BC was more important than Magneride.

And Ford went the wrong way for 2022 models, making the glass roof mandatory if you got BlueCruise on any GT model when they should have in-bundled the options. @Ford Motor Company messed up there.

JoeDimwit

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue First Edition
Occupation
Electrician
Country flag
Ford does a similar thing with the real Mustang. You can get (in ascending order by price):
fastback
fastback premium
convertible
GT
convertible premium
GT premium

the fastback premium has options that are not available on the convertible or the GT without going to the premium versions of those cars.

Rt1AWD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME CARt1 AWD
Country flag
just google

grand touring

GT stands for gran turismo, or "grand touring." Although the Italian who originally thought up the term gran turismo, or GT, has been lost to history along with their reasoning, the definition was clear: A GT car fit between a sports car and a luxury car.

Last edited:

JoeDimwit

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue First Edition
Occupation
Electrician
Country flag
just google

grand touring

GT stands for gran turismo, or "grand touring." Although the Italian who originally thought up the term gran turismo, or GT, has been lost to history along with their reasoning, the definition was clear: A GT car fit between a sports car and a luxury car.
Just google what? I was stating facts that support Ford using this approach. I’m unsure what you think I’m saying.

you can buy a base model Mustang GT that has less optional upgrades than the Ecoboost fastback premium, which costs less.

Rt1AWD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME CARt1 AWD
Country flag
Just google what? I was stating facts that support Ford using this approach. I’m unsure what you think I’m saying.

you can buy a base model Mustang GT that has less optional upgrades than the Ecoboost fastback premium, which costs less.
sorry, that was a general post, I quoted you by mistake.

GT is not a next level after luxury edition. It just stands inbetween luxury and sport (meaning has SOME features of Luxury and SOME features of sport).

HuntingPudel

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineering
Country flag
Wel, technically the original definition of a sports car is a performance 2-seater. The original definition of a GT is a 2+2 or 4-seater with performance options on it.

tannerk89

First Name
Tanner
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E P4X
Occupation
Project Manager
Country flag
Just a to clarify - polar momentum has a net effect of absolutely zero on this car. Unless the poster claiming that somehow knows the specs of the weight difference and mass distribution between the two options and ran extremely complex calculations including the suspension and tire characteristics he’s speculating at best. The C of G will be unaffected, and the minuscule difference between the two options would be way more effected by the limits of the tires. Not to mention that magneride on GTPE would automatically account for any difference in mass transfer from the suspension side. The reason Ford didn’t include the glass roof as standard on GT trims was simply cost to performance - they have a cost target for that trim level and the metal roof is a cheaper option so it allowed them to spend more on performance during design.
Sponsored