Jimrpa

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Infinite Blue Premium Mustang Mach E ER AWD
Occupation
Retied (formerly tried to herd highly technical, independent cats)
Country flag
About a year ago, someone here shot a Mach-E interior with an infrared camera (it can see infrared as an image...not just heat). It showed that a lot of infrared heat was coming through the roof glass. I'm in Sacramento, where it often hits 105°, and occasionally gets to 110°. But the primary reason to lose the glass roof is to lose WEIGHT, not heat. Look up "polar momentum".
I’m not a mechanical engineer or a physicist, but Wikipedia says polar momentum only applies to cylindrical objects and should not be applied to non-cylindrical objects because of torsional deformation?
Sponsored

OP
OP
dwiz49

dwiz49

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E
Country flag
Thanks DP for your feedback,

1. According to my parts department, the GT wheels cost $100+ more each than the PEs.
2. Magnaride is great. I have it on my two sports cars (the newer of which came with a front cam standard by the way), but mag is one of those things I won't miss on the ME. I will miss the Brembos though.
3. Seats are subjective and, as you know, some track seats are not the best for daily driving (see C8). I'll never really know without a test drive though.

Having fun with the MEGT, when my wife doesn't have it. I took the $5k difference and PPF'd the front bumper, hood and hatch, and tinted the side windows, and I will have enough left to replace the phone-dial wheels, which I can't warm up to.

Peace out to you too, fellow retiree! Enjoy your ME.

OP
OP
dwiz49

dwiz49

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E
Country flag
Seems like this is becoming super common with people not reading the options sheet for the GT version. People keep being surprised that it doesn't have the front camera/360 pano camera.
Was no options sheet back when I ordered. Didn't catch on to the Ford head fake.

OP
OP
dwiz49

dwiz49

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E
Country flag
I don’t think so, Ford has been doing this since I don’t know how long, at least since 2006 when I got my GT. The purpose is to make the higher performance variants more accessible, i.e., if you are interested in performance, but not luxury, you don’t have to spend dough on all the premium features in order to access the GT.
I don't think luxury and performance are mutually exclusive.

Reactions: ARK

HuntingPudel

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT-PE, 1979 Fire-Am, 1972 K/5 Blazer
Occupation
Engineering
Country flag
They’re not (up to a point - weight is detrimental to performance however), but they also are not necessarily hand in hand.

OP
OP
dwiz49

dwiz49

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E
Country flag
Why would a reasonable person assume "GT" is an upgrade to "Premium"?
I guess I'm not a reasonable person. I fall for the marketing hierarchy ploy.

ARK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E
Country flag
Was no options sheet back when I ordered. Didn't catch on to the Ford head fake.
Out of curiosity how did you order? I reserved back in November 2019 when there weren’t much details. I thought I had chosen the light interior on my reservation.

Fast forward to June 2020 when it was time to turn the reservation into an order. I was presented with a final confirmation page on the Ford website that I think my dealer had triggered before officially submitting the order.

I saw somehow the dark interior had been chosen, so I switched it back to the light interior.

I also saw there was an option for the Interior Protection Package, and it was not selected. This package did not exist at the time reservations opened in November 2019, so no surprise there. But I saw what it was, read the details, and added this package (the only one available with my configuration).

Anyway that’s at least how I was presented with various options. My dealer was not communicating with me at all at that point and I had had absolutely no interaction from them at that stage.

OP
OP
dwiz49

dwiz49

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E
Country flag
At my local Subway, the Italian B.M.T. costs more than the Spicy Italian, but contains less protein and has yucky smelly ham. Yet they're both sandwiches offered on the menu and built by the same "artists." ?‍♂
Some of these posts are making me hungry.

ARK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E
Country flag
I’d say at lower levels of luxury and performance, you are correct. But at some point, they start to diverge. The must luxurious seat with the smoothest ride in the world isn’t the sportiest option. An engine that revs to the stratosphere on its way to producing incredible horsepower is not the most luxurious option.

RetiredDP

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Focus RS
Occupation
Retired Director of Videography, Editor, Compressionist
Country flag
I’m not a mechanical engineer or a physicist, but Wikipedia says polar momentum only applies to cylindrical objects and should not be applied to non-cylindrical objects because of torsional deformation?
The shell of the car doesn't "torsionally distort", but the coil springs do. Anyway, notice how cars lean out on corners as they hit the apex? That's polar momentum rotating the top of the car around the center of gravity. That lifts the weight off the inside tires, reducing the traction. Your outside tires are now doing all the work. This also cools the inside tires, and heats the outside tires. Ever notice that sports cars are lower than regular cars? That's because a lower car has lower wind resistance, but ALSO because it reduces the polar momentum. Our Mach-E's are very high cars, which puts the weight out into a bigger circumference "cylinder", causing even more polar momentum. EVERYTHING rotates around it's center-of-mass (center-of-gravity), irrespective of its physical shape. Top-heavy cars swaying back-and-forth around corners are slower, and heat the tires up more. They're also harder to control, on the street or a race course.

Studio_20171004_074703.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
dwiz49

dwiz49

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E
Country flag
Out of curiosity how did you order? I reserved back in November 2019 when there weren’t much details. I thought I had chosen the light interior on my reservation.

Fast forward to June 2020 when it was time to turn the reservation into an order. I was presented with a final confirmation page on the Ford website that I think my dealer had triggered before officially submitting the order.

I saw somehow the dark interior had been chosen, so I switched it back to the light interior.

I also saw there was an option for the Interior Protection Package, and it was not selected. This package did not exist at the time reservations opened in November 2019, so no surprise there. But I saw what it was, read the details, and added this package (the only one available with my configuration).

Anyway that’s at least how I was presented with various options. My dealer was not communicating with me at all at that point and I had had absolutely no interaction from them at that stage.
I ordered 2 years ago, like you. I did switch my color from default grabber blue to carbonized gray, but never imagined I needed to "pony" up $2k for a front cam. My fault, I guess, but I still would not have paid that much for it. Glad you caught that interior issue.

Jimrpa

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Infinite Blue Premium Mustang Mach E ER AWD
Occupation
Retied (formerly tried to herd highly technical, independent cats)
Country flag
The shell of the car doesn't "torsionally distort", but the coil springs do. Anyway, notice how cars lean out on corners as they hit the apex? That's polar momentum rotating the top of the car around the center of gravity. That lifts the weight off the inside tires, reducing the traction. Your outside tires are now doing all the work. This also cools the inside tires, and heats the outside tires. Ever notice that sports cars are lower than regular cars? That's because a lower car has lower wind resistance, but ALSO because it reduces the polar momentum. Our Mach-E's are very high cars, which puts the weight out into a bigger circumference "cylinder", causing even more polar momentum. EVERYTHING rotates around it's center-of-mass (center-of-gravity), irrespective of its physical shape. Top-heavy cars swaying back-and-forth around corners are slower, and heat the tires up more. They're also harder to control, on the street or a race course.

Ford Mustang Mach-E To My Surprise... Studio_20171004_074703
Wow! Cool! Thanks so much for the explanation. Follow-on question - doesn’t the heavy battery pack at the bottom make our cars effectively a “lower” car overall, than an equivalent internal combustion engine car? I may be wronged but I’m guessing a lot of mass in an internal combustion engine car is in the engine, which is at least two feet above the ground and sort of centered over the front wheels, while most of the mass on our cars is in the battery pack, which is evenly distributed between the four wheels and about. 8 inches above the ground (I’m sort of averaging the midpoint of the height of the battery pack above the ground)? I must be missing something though because in your picture of the 1400, it’s definitely leaning heavily to the outside (the inside rear tire appears to be off the ground)? So the massive battery pack isn’t enough to hold the car down?

RetiredDP

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Focus RS
Occupation
Retired Director of Videography, Editor, Compressionist
Country flag
Wow! Cool! Thanks so much for the explanation. Follow-on question - doesn’t the heavy battery pack at the bottom make our cars effectively a “lower” car overall, than an equivalent internal combustion engine car? I may be wronged but I’m guessing a lot of mass in an internal combustion engine car is in the engine, which is at least two feet above the ground and sort of centered over the front wheels, while most of the mass on our cars is in the battery pack, which is evenly distributed between the four wheels and about. 8 inches above the ground (I’m sort of averaging the midpoint of the height of the battery pack above the ground)? I must be missing something though because in your picture of the 1400, it’s definitely leaning heavily to the outside (the inside rear tire appears to be off the ground)? So the massive battery pack isn’t enough to hold the car down?
Yes, the battery pack gives EVs a lower center of gravity. But adding a sunroof up top still hurts performance...that's why it's an optional extra-cost option on the GT/GTPE...Ford assumed a performance driver would not want it. The car in the photo is my Focus RS, an ICE car (350 hp, 350 lb/ft torque, 3350 lbs.). It has no battery pack...it's just an illustration of a "non-cylindrical" object rotating about its axis from polar momentum. My Mach-E GTPE weighs 4830 lbs. But performance improvement is measured in grams of lost weight...every single pound lost counts (especially at the top of the car).

HuntingPudel

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT-PE, 1979 Fire-Am, 1972 K/5 Blazer
Occupation
Engineering
Country flag
I’d say at lower levels of luxury and performance, you are correct. But at some point, they start to diverge. The must luxurious seat with the smoothest ride in the world isn’t the sportiest option. An engine that revs to the stratosphere on its way to producing incredible horsepower is not the most luxurious option.
Quite true, which is why for the factory race cars there used to be cryptic options that triggered things like heater delete, radio delete, insulation delete, ”swiss-cheese” frames, roll-up window delete, etc.
Sponsored