Mel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 2WD Standard Range
Occupation
Realtor
Country flag
Very cool. Some twenty-odd years ago I got to drive my Porsche on the Indianapolis Motor Speedway for a similar thing...but our max speed was 35. But even at that speed...very cool...
Got to drive the Indy pace car (Cadillac Allante) at the 1992 Indy 500.

I drove it the day *before* the race. Got it up to 120mph before I chickened out.

By the way, there were more than one pace cars - I guess spares just in case.
Sponsored

Jimrpa

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Infinite Blue Premium Mustang Mach E ER AWD
Occupation
Retied (formerly tried to herd highly technical, independent cats)
Country flag
That's an awesome experience!

Why do they restrict people's ability to get on banked turns, is it easy to misjudge things and crash? But then lots of freeway interchanges are banked, though probably not as steeply.
I used to have a home in Ormond Beach and did tours of Daytona International Speedway with friends when they came to town. The tour guides told us that cars would not stay on the banks unless they were doing at least 90 mph as I recall. Those banks are incredibly steep. You would not want to drive on them unless you were a professional (and I think you might need special tires but I’m not sure). I’d be happy just being allowed to floor it on the straightaways.

JRT

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E 2wd Premium
Country flag
Nice, I didn't know they did this. I did my 1st super bike school at Daytona, it was a huge deal as it was previously not allowed to get your amateur road race plate in Daytona. We were a first class and were told not to mess it up. Needless to say we didn't and there is nothing like flat out in 6th gear coming out of Nascar turn 4 on my CBR1000. Not letting everyone on the banks is pretty smart, it is pretty scary if you don't go fast enough.

Unlike Nascar, the motorcycle course uses the infield that exits to the high bank. You have to be accelerating at full throttle leaned left as you come on the banks. The faster the better, the first time on my bike I saw this it was like I was accelerating at a wall. I was the first bike behind the instructor and I figured I better just nail the throttle, follow him and hold on lol.
Sponsored

Last edited: