John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Infinite Blue MME 4X Premium
Occupation
Digital Forensics
Country flag
We rarely have had problems with it in the 4 prior cars my wife, son and I have had with it. None of them were wireless, FWIW.
They also were all Kia's and Hyundais (2020 Palisade, 2022 Palisade, a 2021 Forte, and 2018 Stinger) so maybe they just have a better app stack than others?
I've had almost zero trouble with the MME's CarPlay and I use it maybe 90% of the time I'm in the car. It would fail on launch almost 95% of the time with my 2019 Acura RDX--so much so to the point I couldn't use it--and that was wired.

I think there are ghosts in the machines.
Sponsored

OP
OP
ericNdfw

ericNdfw

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Website
ericsmalling.com
Vehicles
`21 MME Prem 4X w/GTPE wheels,`22 Hyundai Palisade
Occupation
Solutions Architect (software)
Country flag
I've had almost zero trouble with the MME's CarPlay and I use it maybe 90% of the time I'm in the car. It would fail on launch almost 95% of the time with my 2019 Acura RDX--so much so to the point I couldn't use it--and that was wired.

I think there are ghosts in the machines.
It's funny, wireless CarPlay has been working well for me for several weeks - and then, all of the sudden it starts being flaky w/out an update on either the car or the phone. Then the 1.7.1 car update came in and it wasn't really noticeably better or worse. I've never had it behave the way it did on this trip though, with the window completely blank even though it was connected.

Tampamike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E Premium RWD
Country flag
EA stations need to be at Wawas and Buc-ees (like SC - https://cleantechnica.com/2021/11/1...for-superchargers-span-26-stores-in-7-states/)

The Superchargers at Wawas when I owned a Model Y - were great. They had bathrooms and good selection of snacks. One of the SC was also next to a Krispy Kreme too :)

The EA stations I use currently are at malls or Walmarts and it's a crappy experience. These locations get ICEed also.
WaWa’s for sure. Haven’t yet been to a Buc ee’s but it sounds great.

miata

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
miata, towncar, highlander
Occupation
engineer
Country flag
...What do you think will happen first: Tesla, a world class software company, becomes a word class manufacturer OR Ford becomes a world class software company?
That's really the G$ question, isn't it? There was a similar question in the auto industry 3-4 decades ago as to whether they're a mechanical engineering industry or an electrical engineering one. Sensors, diagnostics, and data collection/reduction was clearly moving the industry in an EE direction, and they HAD to adapt with EE talent. I have first-hand experience of these fights and they don't always go well for the EE's. You need to hire the right talent, pay them at least the market rate (which sorry ME's, but EE's get paid more) and promote them to positions of true authority. To Ford's credit, I think they did this better than most. (I think the Germans still struggle here.) More than just electric propulsion, today's markets for self-driving and driving-correction car technologies are in the direction of software rather than hardware. (Now that's a classic struggle within EE.)
Hats off to Tesla for what they've done in automotive hardware the last decade or so, although I'd argue Lotus gave them a pretty good platform to learn automotive technology from. But I'd also argue that, based on a few rocket mishaps, Musk&Co is not a natural font of software excellence. The next decade will be an interesting one. And for me, who's always loved cars, I'm glad to be a graybeard observer in this epic battle.

ahg

First Name
Arthur
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E 4x 2014 Accord V6
Occupation
retired
Country flag
I don't think Walmart is targeting locals with the DCFC stations; those bring in nonlocal customers that will need to do something for 20 to 40 minutes while charging. I can't speak for the rest of the country, but at least on the East coast many of those Walmart locations are within a quarter mile of interstates. The Walmarts in Abingdon MD, Stafford VA, FredericksBurg VA, Richmond VA, Henderson NC, Greensboro NC, etc etc etc all down the I-85/I-95/I-75 corridors are within that short distance of the highway. Many more like the Walmart in Charlotte are within a mile of those highways.

Believe it or not the people whose job is to figure this stuff out are not stupid.
Had not looked at it that way with charging primary and shopping the secondary use of the time.

ahg

First Name
Arthur
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E 4x 2014 Accord V6
Occupation
retired
Country flag
That's really the G$ question, isn't it? There was a similar question in the auto industry 3-4 decades ago as to whether they're a mechanical engineering industry or an electrical engineering one. Sensors, diagnostics, and data collection/reduction was clearly moving the industry in an EE direction, and they HAD to adapt with EE talent. I have first-hand experience of these fights and they don't always go well for the EE's. You need to hire the right talent, pay them at least the market rate (which sorry ME's, but EE's get paid more) and promote them to positions of true authority. To Ford's credit, I think they did this better than most. (I think the Germans still struggle here.) More than just electric propulsion, today's markets for self-driving and driving-correction car technologies are in the direction of software rather than hardware. (Now that's a classic struggle within EE.)
Hats off to Tesla for what they've done in automotive hardware the last decade or so, although I'd argue Lotus gave them a pretty good platform to learn automotive technology from. But I'd also argue that, based on a few rocket mishaps, Musk&Co is not a natural font of software excellence. The next decade will be an interesting one. And for me, who's always loved cars, I'm glad to be a graybeard observer in this epic battle.
Musk had a few rocket mishaps but he was trying to do something that no one else had done. Up and then down softly is a lot more difficult than just going the one way up.

voxel

First Name
Nelson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Mach-E 4X, 23 GC Limited
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
It's funny, wireless CarPlay has been working well for me for several weeks - and then, all of the sudden it starts being flaky w/out an update on either the car or the phone. Then the 1.7.1 car update came in and it wasn't really noticeably better or worse. I've never had it behave the way it did on this trip though, with the window completely blank even though it was connected.
I may give this a try:

https://www.macheforum.com/site/threads/why-i-bought-the-carplay-ai-box.6676/

Even my ID.4 had random wireless CarPlay disconnects after a few weeks of ownership so I'm not surprised to hear about issues. It could have been overheating since charging and using wireless CarPlay would overheat my phone.

The Mach-E's built-in system is usable though. I just wish I could use the voice button to control both systems naturally.

littlD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Tesla Model 3 LR RWD, Tesla Model Y LR AWD
Country flag
Sure did. Had no issues driving that day, no problem getting in or out of my car the whole day. The Tesla app uses Bluetooth just like Ford for PAAK.

If I wanted to change the AC temp remotely outside of bluetooth range, start or stop charging etc that I couldn't do while the servers were down.

Seems some Tesla owners don't know their cars very well (a long time problem we in the Tesla Community have brought up time and time again).

JohnnyForensic

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Infinite Blue MME 4X Premium
Occupation
Digital Forensics
Country flag
The one time I had something act up similarly, I just did the Vol Down/Right Arrow reboot of the main screen (while driving, it's fine), and everything came back up correctly after a couple of minutes.

miata

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
miata, towncar, highlander
Occupation
engineer
Country flag
Had not looked at it that way with charging primary and shopping the secondary use of the time.
What Walmart really wants is that shopping there (and no place else) becomes the primary goal and oh, by the way, we're so customer-focused that we'll charge your car while you're at it.

And we want that too. Charging on a trip that's as safe, reliable, and natural as charging at home.

And brick and mortar stores really need a game-changer to stay alive against Jeff Bezos. Safe, efficient, and cost-effective charging just might be the thing that does it.

The down-side is that Walmarts are built for lots of customers with lots of cars but needing only modest power demands for lighting and HVAC. To supply 100kW each to a hundred cars at once requires a major utility upgrade. Walmart (or Target) may be wise to look at buying up old abandoned factories, where large power deliver was long established for energy-intensive manufacturing , and converting them to attractive shopping areas that just happen to charge your car. Problem is, old factories are seldom close to fwy's or in safe locales.