Jiji

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mustang Mach-E GT 2023 Rivian R1S
Country flag
Does anyone know if there is a heavy duty 12V source in the back that can be used as the power source for trailer lights?

I did a Draw-Tite install on my 2021 but my mechanic complained but how hard it was fishing the power wire up to the LVB. Now I plan to get one of their Hidden hitches and would do a wire harness if there was an easy source of power in the rear of the Mach-E to connect to.

I only used my hitch for my bikes but I might pull a lightweight trailer if I had lights.
Sponsored

SnBGC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E FE, 2021 Wrangler 4xe High Altitude
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
Does anyone know if there is a heavy duty 12V source in the back that can be used as the power source for trailer lights?

I did a Draw-Tite install on my 2021 but my mechanic complained but how hard it was fishing the power wire up to the LVB. Now I plan to get one of their Hidden hitches and would do a wire harness if there was an easy source of power in the rear of the Mach-E to connect to.

I only used my hitch for my bikes but I might pull a lightweight trailer if I had lights.
I found a trailer module in the systems list. There may be a harness down under for this purpose? I don't have the wiring diagrams handy so I can't look.

There are 12v power points up front under the hood. I attached the upfitter guide for your use.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Trailer hitch wiring harness options 1659136315821

Attachments

snowy_91

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Ice Blue GT Performance
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
My small trailer is all LED, drawing less than 3 amps. I just used the 12v power point in the back.

OP
OP
Jiji

Jiji

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
My small trailer is all LED, drawing less than 3 amps. I just used the 12v power point in the back.
That would be the socket on the right side of the back? Seems like a good option if there isnt anything else back there.

snowy_91

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Ice Blue GT Performance
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
That would be the socket on the right side of the back? Seems like a good option if there isnt anything else back there.
Yep

OP
OP
Jiji

Jiji

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I found a trailer module in the systems list. There may be a harness down under for this purpose? I don't have the wiring diagrams handy so I can't look.
I have been in many of the modules on the Mach-E but that is a new one to me, worth me finding more info on it.

And thanks for posting the upfitter doc, nothing in the back but nice info to have.

21st Century Pony

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Mustang Mach E 2022 Premium AWD ER
Country flag
The Euro Ford trailer setup has a special module as well as a special plug - & - play wiring harness that all come with installation of their Europe trailer gooseneck-style hitch. See the attached PDF files. More info is in the
Ford Mustang Mach-E Gets Towing Capacity Boost In Europe

thread.

Attachments

Pencho

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 MACH-E AWD Premium Extended range
Country flag
Guys, a bump on me on the wiring kit for our MME.
I have Canadian(North American) MME imported in Europe and I bought an US towbar(my bike infrastructure is for 2" US towbars) and EU Brink kit for MME(actually it is Erich Jaeger, sold by Brink) # 712324 like the one mentioned above.
Obviously my CA/US car has no preparation for tow, so from the manual I am on "Option 3A" - vehicle without preparation and power supply in the trunk. I rewired all the installation, but I have a problem - the CA/US MME does not have the color coded CAN wires the way EU MME has and I can not attached the CAN line of the tow electric module to the CAN line of the car.
(in the manual they are "PU-OR" and "GY-OR" wires - these are purple-orange and grey-orange wires I can not find in the car on the specified place.

Does someone know the electricity quite well to point me out what(and where) is the CAN line front right in the CA/US MME.

Thank you guys!

PS>
There will be questions on how to activate and program the module in the car, but first thing first....

Billyk24

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford C-Max Energi, Premium Mach-E ordered
Country flag
The Euro Ford trailer setup has a special module as well as a special plug - & - play wiring harness that all come with installation of their Europe trailer gooseneck-style hitch. See the attached PDF files. More info is in the
Ford Mustang Mach-E Gets Towing Capacity Boost In Europe

thread.
Can anyone find a vendor to ship this wiring harness into the USA?

Pencho

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Here you are talking for a different module - mine is indeed EU, but it is not Ford OEM, but the one Brink sells with their EU goosneck hitch.
BUT! if the car is not "hitch prepared", there is no "plug&play" solution - you should route wires and connect them to a specific functions.

So, back to my first question:

Whete I can find yhe 2 color coded CAN wires?

Garbone

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 Mach E , 22 MachE, 62 C10 Big window long bed
Occupation
Loafer
Country flag
Whete I can find yhe 2 color coded CAN wires?
I have started on this task and printed page 12 of the European guide, however thos colors do not seem to have any meaning (think they are for the harness not the car)

Installing a Kurt 59236 kit.

Power is easy. On the right hand side I have found the Gn-Or to be the rh turn signal. Now I need the the lh, running and brake. If anyone has a cheat sheet...

Pencho

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I have started on this task and printed page 12 of the European guide, however thos colors do not seem to have any meaning (think they are for the harness not the car)
The EU tow/hitch modules are different - the module is connected to the car's central electric module, through this 2 CAN wires and receives signals which function central electric module is running now and tow/hitch module is powering it is own wires.
There is no need to connect to the lighting installation of the car(i.e. brake light, turn signal, etc.) both modules are communicating(by CAN) and the tow/hitch module is powering the correct wire to the correct pin in the tow/hitch connector.

That is why the Brink(as I mentioned is only sold by them) is listing 3 options in their manual:
1. to have a preparation for tow/hitch - which means you have CAN wires and constant +12V in the trunk and you just place the Brink module next to them and connect it.
2. partial preparation - to have CAN wires, but no constant +12V - then you place module, connect to CAN and route one red, thick wire through the body of the car to the front end and connect it to the battery.
3. no preparation at all - route both CAN wires and red positive wire to the front, connect them(one end to the battery and vehicle CAN system, other end to the hitch module) and that is it.

I am on the 3rd option and I routed the +12V wire to the battery and the 2 CAN wires to the location that is written - I just can not find the 2 CAR's CAN wires to connect to them the 2 CAN wires comming from the module.
Sponsored