awp0

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME Premium AWD ER
Country flag
Posting this for awareness. It's not me, but I just noticed the thread today and thought it would be important to share here.

It seems that you really do need to be careful with tongue weight, especially if you're increasing the torque on the frame mount points using a hitch extension (which I know has been discussed here to allow clearance for bikes). It appears that this person ended up bending the frame, at least at the mount locations. With my own MME, I've noticed a level of "bounce" carrying my 30-lb bike that is not present when moving the same rack and bike to our other car, so I'm willing to believe that it's not a particularly strong mount location. Anyway, just be careful!
Sponsored

mkhuffman

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT, Jeep GC-L, VW Jetta
Country flag
Posting this for awareness. It's not me, but I just noticed the thread today and thought it would be important to share here.

It seems that you really do need to be careful with tongue weight, especially if you're increasing the torque on the frame mount points using a hitch extension (which I know has been discussed here to allow clearance for bikes). It appears that this person ended up bending the frame, at least at the mount locations. With my own MME, I've noticed a level of "bounce" carrying my 30-lb bike that is not present when moving the same rack and bike to our other car, so I'm willing to believe that it's not a particularly strong mount location. Anyway, just be careful!
I have considered going under the car and confirming all the mounting bolts are still tight. If you are seeing unusual movement, maybe you should check that out?