Trip from San Diego to Phoenix (Spring Training Baseball)

Mgmken

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach E GTPE Red
Occupation
Real Estate
Country flag
We decided to go see some spring training baseball and thought we would take the Mach-E (GTHP) on the first real road trip. I certainly wont do it again! It had been several years since I drove to Phoenix and never with the electric cars, so I was not comfortable with where they may be located.

Here is how that trip went:

SD to AZ:
Home with 99% to El Centro with 45% remaining... (used 56%).
El Centro with 80% to Yuma at 51% remaining (used 29%)
Yuma at 80% to Dateland with 48% remaining (used 32%)
Dateland at 80% to Hotel with 20% remaining (used 60%).

AZ back to SD:
Started in AZ with 87% to Dateland with 36% remaining
Dateland at 80% to Yuma (49% did not fill up) to El Centro with 17% remaining. 62% total used. (There were 2 small mountain passes from Dateland to Yuma, no more to El Centro)
El Centro back to 80% and then home with 24%. (56% used). There was about 20 miles of uphill mountains and then 15 miles downhill mountains. Downhill uses little battery.
Home with 24% and charged on home charger.

Costs/time:

El Centro -- $16.32 and 19 mins
Yuma -- $18.21 and 20 mins
Dateland -- $17.33 and 19 mins
Walmart, Phoenix -- $33.63 and 35 mins

Walmart AZ -- $28.74 and 39 mins
Dateland -- $39.44 and 25 mins
El Centro -- $39.84 and 38 mins

TOTAL: $193.51 spent / 3.25 hours charging
Plus what we spent shopping while we waited!

Notes:

-- I think my Ford Edge would have taken 3 full tanks as a comparison, about $240.00 and about 15 total minutes.
-- Electricity has gotten way more expensive and we got lucky and NEVER had to wait for anyone else charging...we simply pulled up, plugged in and were charging.
-- I was driving with the AC on low, and I was cruising at about 80mph. Since I was stopping many times on the way out there, I didnt care about the few extra % lost due to AC or fast driving.
-- There is not a charger in Gila Bend... only for Rivian and Teslas
-- Once I knew where the chargers were on the way back, I skipped Yuma.
-- I probably could have made it to Yuma on one charge, and maybe made it to Phoenix on one charge... but I wasnt going to test it.
-- This is for the GT High Performance, which claims it gets 270miles (for the GT), but it started at 255 when I left.
-- No way it really was getting 255, more like 190 or so would be my true guess.

Overall, Ill take the gas car next time. Or Ill be purchasing a different electric car that gets a true 300 miles or more. Better yet, when they hit 500 miles, and charge faster.... that would make sense.

Daily driving though, love it!
Sponsored

Progress

First Name
Rufus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Red MME GTPE
Occupation
retired
Country flag
I will be taking the exact same trip this Friday, also in a GTPE. The first time I did it exactly as you did going there, and the same on the way back. This time I am going to skip charging at El Centro if the GOM says I can make it to Yuma. I have been measuring my range, and if I drive below 70 mph without heat or AC I have been getting about 235 mile at 100% charge.
I had not thought about skipping Yuma on the way back, but that is a good idea. Were the chargers in the B of A in El Centro all working well? Go Padres!!

OP
OP
Mgmken

Mgmken

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach E GTPE Red
Occupation
Real Estate
Country flag
We had great luck at the BofA in El Centro. I want to say there are 6 stations there? Maybe 8? But on the way TO AZ it was Friday, payday at the Bank, and there were 3 open stations and maybe 3 cars charging. They worked great (with the Electrify America app--kept declining my cc otherwise). Although there is not much around there to kill time.

Dateland had 4 machines (if i remember correctly) and both trips there were no one on those chargers. On the way back, someone joined me about 1/2 way through my charge. Dateland is also boring and zero good food. Pre-made pizza hut, pre made burritos and a bunch of 7-eleven style foods.

I couldnt drive 70mph without AC just to save a little battery. My 250 was actually about 190 which is ALMOST Yuma. Since I was going to stop anyway, I just decided to drive like I wanted, have some A/C, music... and stop twice.

I also JUST realized I should have used the "whisper mode" as I was in the big boy mode the entire time! DOH! Maybe that would have gotten me to Yuma? Again though, for peace of mind I would do El Centro / Dateland / Peoria again. Both ways.

No charger in Gila Bend!

Good luck!

Make sure you go to the Padres practices around 9:00 am. You get to see the pros take infield and such, but I liked watching the AAA guys take BP. Fun times, but Im not some obsessed fan who wants autographs or anything. Go Padres (better yet, Go CARDINALS!)

OP
OP
Mgmken

Mgmken

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach E GTPE Red
Occupation
Real Estate
Country flag
By the way, we never had to wait at a charger. The BofA had 3 of 6 available on Friday (I think) and on the way back it was Sunday around 1:00 or so (afternoon) and there was only one other car. We had great luck the entire trip and never had to wait for anyone else. In Peoria, one time there was someone else waiting for us to complete...but never for us.

ArthurDOB

First Name
Arthur
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-e Premium AWD STD Range (Delivered 5/22/23)
Occupation
High School Teacher
Country flag
Envious of your reason for the trip. As a teacher, going to Spring Training has always been an impossibility because of the timing of it with the school year. But when I retire, oh boy! ⚾

OP
OP
Mgmken

Mgmken

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach E GTPE Red
Occupation
Real Estate
Country flag
Envious of your reason for the trip. As a teacher, going to Spring Training has always been an impossibility because of the timing of it with the school year. But when I retire, oh boy! ⚾
Ehhh, you got to make time if you want it. My entire family is full of teachers and you just have to do it. We left Friday morning and we came back Sunday afternoon. We caught the Saturday game and could have caught Sunday if we were gung-ho. The point is that you can do this with only 1 day off of work and if you catch a 3 day weekend even better. If you really cared, you could leave right after school on Friday afternoon and not miss any school. Just know that Spring Training is not what it used to be. The stadium is big, the tickets are expensive...not the old "$5.00 gets you in" deal. The players are not THAT accessible any more (AAA guys are!). Its more about spending a weekend with your spouse, getting a way from the daily grind, and seeing some BP and a ballgame. (we left in the 6th inning! HA!).

Anyway...make it happen, its a great excuse to take a long weekend!

ArthurDOB

First Name
Arthur
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
High School Teacher
Country flag
Ehhh, you got to make time if you want it. My entire family is full of teachers and you just have to do it. We left Friday morning and we came back Sunday afternoon. We caught the Saturday game and could have caught Sunday if we were gung-ho. The point is that you can do this with only 1 day off of work and if you catch a 3 day weekend even better. If you really cared, you could leave right after school on Friday afternoon and not miss any school. Just know that Spring Training is not what it used to be. The stadium is big, the tickets are expensive...not the old "$5.00 gets you in" deal. The players are not THAT accessible any more (AAA guys are!). Its more about spending a weekend with your spouse, getting a way from the daily grind, and seeing some BP and a ballgame. (we left in the 6th inning! HA!).

Anyway...make it happen, its a great excuse to take a long weekend!
That may be true from SD, but not from the Twin Cities. Too much money to get to Phoenix/Scottsdale (Go Giants! Sorry.. ;)) for the limited time I would be able to spend being there, even on a three-day weekend. That trip does not pass my cost/benefit analysis. Retirement is not that far off....

OP
OP
Mgmken

Mgmken

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach E GTPE Red
Occupation
Real Estate
Country flag
That may be true from SD, but not from the Twin Cities. Too much money to get to Phoenix/Scottsdale (Go Giants! Sorry.. ;)) for the limited time I would be able to spend being there, even on a three-day weekend. That trip does not pass my cost/benefit analysis. Retirement is not that far off....
OHHH My bad. I posted this in a CA region, so I ASSumed you were in SD with us. :). Yeah, Im not flying out for a one day thing. Then again, I know you teachers end up selling back a bunch of days off that were never used. So if your really wanted to watch a crappy team like SF at Spring Training, just make it happen! :). Just kidding... SF is a great franchise with a ton of history and some championships. But not like the Cardinals! Youre welcome to climb aboard any time. :)

ArthurDOB

First Name
Arthur
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
High School Teacher
Country flag
OHHH My bad. I posted this in a CA region, so I ASSumed you were in SD with us. :). Yeah, Im not flying out for a one day thing. Then again, I know you teachers end up selling back a bunch of days off that were never used. So if your really wanted to watch a crappy team like SF at Spring Training, just make it happen! :). Just kidding... SF is a great franchise with a ton of history and some championships. But not like the Cardinals! Youre welcome to climb aboard any time. :)
I appreciate the humor. My late uncle lived in Point Loma and used to take us to Padres games at Jack Murphy Stadium in the '70s, so I have a soft spot for them because of him, even though I HATE them! 😉 🤣 Cardinals? Ugh! Hey! We both love the MME!

manicsubmersion

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 hybrid Lariat, 2022 MachE AWD EX Premium
Country flag
We had great luck at the BofA in El Centro. I want to say there are 6 stations there? Maybe 8? But on the way TO AZ it was Friday, payday at the Bank, and there were 3 open stations and maybe 3 cars charging. They worked great (with the Electrify America app--kept declining my cc otherwise). Although there is not much around there to kill time.

Dateland had 4 machines (if i remember correctly) and both trips there were no one on those chargers. On the way back, someone joined me about 1/2 way through my charge. Dateland is also boring and zero good food. Pre-made pizza hut, pre made burritos and a bunch of 7-eleven style foods.

No charger in Gila Bend!
Dateland also has a large Tesla Supercharger site. I live in Albuquerque and often drive to Carlsbad, CA via the southern route (I8 etc). I will lose much range anxiety when that Dateland Tesla site opens up to MachEs. Phoenix to Yuma is about 210 miles, (depending where you are staying in Phoenix) pushing it a bit for My MachE Premium EX AWD at 80 miles an hour especially in the summer heat. I always fear the the Dateland EA station will be down. It would be good to have a DCFC in Gila Bend too. Not sure if that is in the AZ NEVI plan.

OP
OP
Mgmken

Mgmken

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach E GTPE Red
Occupation
Real Estate
Country flag
Dateland also has a large Tesla Supercharger site. I live in Albuquerque and often drive to Carlsbad, CA via the southern route (I8 etc). I will lose much range anxiety when that Dateland Tesla site opens up to MachEs. Phoenix to Yuma is about 210 miles, (depending where you are staying Phoenix) pushing it a bit for My MachE Premium EX AWD at 80 miles an hour especially in the summer heat. I always fear the the Dateland EA station will be down. It would be good to have a DCFC in Gila Bend too. Not sure if that is in the AZ NEVI plan.
I was very surprised to see Gila Bend did not have an Electrify America charging station (or anything for Ford). Rivian has some, Tesla has some, but not for Ford. Dateland has a TON of Tesla Chargers and you are correct... when they open that up, it will be FANTASTIC!

And why cant they install several chargers at each of the Rest Area's along the way?! Seems like that is a no-brainer.

The only way to get down to 1 stop is to really watch how you drive, no AC, etc. AND to charge up to 100%, which takes a long time once you pass the 80% threshold. For me, its just smarter to stop twice, use the AC, drive faster...live life. But the time on the chargers and the very small savings is not worth it.

I need a car that gets a true 350 miles and looks great! Maybe one of the Lucids. The Mullen Five would be nice, but only 300 miles. And Ive talked with 2 Fisker owners who say "DO NOT BUY YET". There is zero service available and they both said they get warning lights and cant really find someone to come check it out.

Anyway, Im rambling...

OP
OP
Mgmken

Mgmken

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach E GTPE Red
Occupation
Real Estate
Country flag
I appreciate the humor. My late uncle lived in Point Loma and used to take us to Padres games at Jack Murphy Stadium in the '70s, so I have a soft spot for them because of him, even though I HATE them! 😉 🤣 Cardinals? Ugh! Hey! We both love the MME!
Easy to have a soft spot for the Padres...they never win! DANG IT! My second favorite team. Last year was a nightmare for me. Both the Padres and the Cardinals were supposed to be playoff teams with a chance. Cardinals were DEAD LAST and Padres were not much better. I felt like a Cubs Fan saying "There is always next year" come late April.

ArthurDOB

First Name
Arthur
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
High School Teacher
Country flag
Easy to have a soft spot for the Padres...they never win! DANG IT! My second favorite team. Last year was a nightmare for me. Both the Padres and the Cardinals were supposed to be playoff teams with a chance. Cardinals were DEAD LAST and Padres were not much better. I felt like a Cubs Fan saying "There is always next year" come late April.
The Giants were worse - sub-.500. We've got Bob Melvin running things this year. I don't think your ownership got along with him. I like what happened the last time we got a Padres manager!
I hope we are at least united in detesting the Dodgers. 🤮

MellowJohnny

First Name
Christian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium AWD
Occupation
Solution Architect
Country flag
At least y'all still have teams to cheer for...my beloved Montreal Expos left town in 2004 and I've been without a team ever since. I live in Toronto now but I just feels dirty....

So I've adopted the Red Sox - my Dad was involved in the Big Dig and other Boston projects (built the Long Wharf Marriott) so always went to games.

Can't think of a better reason for a road trip!

OP
OP
Mgmken

Mgmken

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach E GTPE Red
Occupation
Real Estate
Country flag
The Giants were worse - sub-.500. We've got Bob Melvin running things this year. I don't think your ownership got along with him. I like what happened the last time we got a Padres manager!
I hope we are at least united in detesting the Dodgers. 🤮
AGREEED... Dodgers are the worst. I love when they spend all that money and lose!
Sponsored