Vinyl seat concerns

FordMachEGo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Premium AWDx April 2021 build.
Country flag
I am concerned over the longevity of the vinyl seats. In my experience, fake leather or vinyl eventually degrades and starts peeling and flaking. Even a high quality massage chair that cost over me over $8,000 stated to peel and flake after about 10 years. Granted this may be beyond the life of most automobile ownership to worry about this (certainly beyond the life for many owners), but the temperature changes and the constant daily use may cause this type of degradation to occur sooner in automobiles.

Is this a concern for others? Does anyone know who supplies Ford with the seat material? And finally, how do you protect your seats? Clearly keeping them clean will help as well as using products. I personally purchased this product from Amazon: (it may have been a recommendation from this forum, not sure): https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B018R2DD42/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It is supposed to help, but I don’t know. I certainly hope it will not make things worse. It’s so hard to tell these days without knowing the exact commission of the faux leather.
Sponsored

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
I think any product that proports to help make the seats last is BS.

I wash the interior of my vehicles with a secret formula - bucket with warm water, and a few drops of dishsoap. Don't tell anyone, top secret. IMO of owning vehicles for over 40 years, there is nothing else needed.

Ford has worked with different products over the years, some have had issues, they keep refining things. Nothing is perfect.

Kamuelaflyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Premium Infinite Blue. ER AWD. 2020 Raptor
Country flag
I use Griot's interior detailer (not cleaner) as it's fairly mild and I have a bunch of it. The key is to not let dirt and grime build-up. What Rick does is a perfectly acceptable and fine way of caring for the seats (and much of the other stuff).
Sponsored