Buck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Mach-E GT Cyber Orange, '86 Bronco, '83 280zx
Occupation
Accountant
Country flag
I have a 2023 MME GT on order with a build date of 11/14. It, theoretically, will be delivered around Christmas. I am also in talks with a local dealer on a 2021 MME GT that has 12k miles. I've driven it twice. I'm not familiar enough with these cars yet to know what the pros and cons would be of taking the 2021 vs waiting for my new car. Obviously pricing is one major factor, the used car is currently at ~$63k which seems like a good price, but I don't know if it's low enough to justify the possible HVBJB and blue cruise issues I am always reading about. I'm currently car pooling with my wife because I don't completely trust that I'm not ruining my daily by driving it while I know it needs repairs that I am not totally motivated to do. Lazy, I know, but there's a lot of life stuff in the way.
Sponsored

kkgg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
mach e
Country flag
if you wait 2 months, you will get :
- latest model year vehicle
- 7500 tax credit
- brand new car (look and feel)
- warranty
- your new car value will be always more in the car market(compared to the used car you are thinking)
- Feels like a nice Christmas present

OP
OP
BuckBaker

BuckBaker

First Name
Buck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Accountant
Country flag
Very true, but also a higher payment. The Christmas present car is pretty special though

Johnny B

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E Premium RWD 2017Nissan Titan XD Diesel
Occupation
Retired Software Developer
Country flag
You also might want to consider if features like touchless trunk opening and parking assist, features that the 2021 will have and that Ford has removed for now, have any value to you

OP
OP
BuckBaker

BuckBaker

First Name
Buck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Accountant
Country flag
The touchless trunk opening would be nice. If by parking assistance, you mean where the car can parallel park itself, I don't think I would ever use that. I have had several full size trucks and never needed parking help.

JohnnyForensic

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Infinite Blue MME 4X Premium
Occupation
Digital Forensics
Country flag
I’m thinking wait. The HVBJB issue and the two model years later are probably worth the lower price in resale value alone in the future. I love my 21, but I still am waiting for HVBJB hell to come, and I only “love it” now that I’ve patched its lagging software myself with an 11 hour update session.

All things considered, my vote would be to wait.

OP
OP
BuckBaker

BuckBaker

First Name
Buck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Accountant
Country flag
Dealer has said they will be sending the car to auction if it doesn't sell this week. I'm basically the last person who had any interest in it, so I feel like I have a good amount of leverage to get a good deal, it's just about how low they are willing to go on it.

Starting to feel like the before times again.

RedDragon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Mach E AWD Premium Ext Bat - Rapid Red
Country flag
The touchless trunk opening would be nice. If by parking assistance, you mean where the car can parallel park itself, I don't think I would ever use that. I have had several full size trucks and never needed parking help.
The touch less trunk can be add as long as you car still comes with the hardware. Mine did, with a 9/14 build date. This was my first time using forscan and I did not find the process to be hard.

https://www.macheforum.com/site/thr...ands-free-liftgate-back-to-2022-mach-e.16407/

scoopman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 KIA EV6 GT, 2021 VW ID.4 Pro S
Occupation
former electric pony jockey
Country flag
Dealer has said they will be sending the car to auction if it doesn't sell this week. I'm basically the last person who had any interest in it, so I feel like I have a good amount of leverage to get a good deal, it's just about how low they are willing to go on it.

Starting to feel like the before times again.
There's a reason why no one is buying a used 2021 priced that well.... And it's initials are HVBJB.

I wouldn't buy the 21 unless you're cool with the understanding your car will probably die and be down for 2-4 weeks in the next year, and that getting it to the dealer and fixed is a mild to insane hassle if (when?) this happens.

You just have to ask if that risk is worth it to you for the savings.

OP
OP
BuckBaker

BuckBaker

First Name
Buck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Accountant
Country flag
Yeah, I feel that. I had a dream last night that the car had already had the repair done, but the technician who completed it tracked me down and warned me not to buy it. This morning the driveshaft in my Bronco decided it wanted a divorce from the rear diff. So I am now officially without a vehicle until I can get it fixed. Also unfortunately for me, I'm scheduled to work 12-16ish hour days for the next four days.

VindictivePantz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang MACH-E Premium AWD w/ Ext. Battery
Country flag
One angle to consider, is the $7,500 credit may not be available, depending on how the IRS ends up handling it.

As of now, 2023s are not eligible:

https://afdc.energy.gov/laws/electric-vehicles-for-tax-credit

The good news is many states have their own rebate or credit programs, and are often not bound by the domestic sourcing rules that take effect on January 1st.

I'd also watch the $7,500 situation closely, as Congress did a terrible job of writing the law, and the IRS and surrounding agencies are continually tweaking it.

(Example, it's not been super-clear that you can get a 30% tax credit on a home EV Charger AND install; a lot of people are not aware of that.)

Last edited:

scoopman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 KIA EV6 GT, 2021 VW ID.4 Pro S
Occupation
former electric pony jockey
Country flag
Yeah, I feel that. I had a dream last night that the car had already had the repair done, but the technician who completed it tracked me down and warned me not to buy it. This morning the driveshaft in my Bronco decided it wanted a divorce from the rear diff. So I am now officially without a vehicle until I can get it fixed. Also unfortunately for me, I'm scheduled to work 12-16ish hour days for the next four days.
Junction box aside, it's a fun and generally reliable car. If you're having nightmares about your junction box failing before buying the car, this might be an indication that life is too short to get a car you know might have troubles....
Sponsored