Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E, et al
Country flag
  • Banned
Ford Mustang Mach-E What is the unlock button for? 1618633906526

The black button with unlock sign on it in the middle of the charging status indicator is supposed to do something, right? I can't find it even once mentioned in the manual.
I though it was supposed to stop the charging and release the connector. No such thing. If I push it when the car is charging the charge status indicator turns white, then in a few seconds it turns blue again and the charging continues. If I try unplugging during that while light cycle the indicator turns red indicating charging fault. So I am at loss what that button is for.
Sponsored

Badger_Prof

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Prior--Leaf,Bolt EV. Mustang Mach-E Premium AWD ER
Country flag
1618633906526.png

The black button with unlock sign on it in the middle of the charging status indicator is supposed to do something, right? I can't find it even once mentioned in the manual.
I though it was supposed to stop the charging and release the connector. No such thing. If I push it when the car is charging the charge status indicator turns white, then in a few seconds it turns blue again and the charging continues. If I try unplugging during that while light cycle the indicator turns red indicating charging fault. So I am at loss what that button is for.
Page 163 of the manual (addressing DC charging) might be helpful:

"Stopping Charging

Note: Do not attempt to remove the charge coupler before it is unlocked. Do not use an kind of tool to try and remove a locked charge coupler. Doing so can lead to damage to your vehicle and the charge coupler.

1. Push the coupler unlock button and remove the coupler handle from the vehicle."

OP
OP
RedStallion

RedStallion

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E, et al
Country flag
  • Banned
1. Push the coupler unlock button and remove the coupler handle from the vehicle."
I'm not sure whether they mean coupler unlock button is the one on the coupler or the one on the car. At any rate, as I described above, when I push the unlock button on the car it doesn't stop charging, it turns white and then blue and keeps charging.
I'm using Grizzl-e, perhaps the behavior depends on the charging station.

Badger_Prof

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Prior--Leaf,Bolt EV. Mustang Mach-E Premium AWD ER
Country flag
I'm not sure whether they mean coupler unlock button is the one on the coupler or the one on the car. At any rate, as I described above, when I push the unlock button on the car it doesn't stop charging, it turns white and then blue and keeps charging.
I agree that the wording is ambiguous. I do not think that button is ever intended to stop the DC charging process. I believe you should stop the DC charging at the charger before you remove the cable. The instructions I cited are only related to DC charging not to AC (120 or 240) charging.

RyZt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E4X
Country flag
Mach E doesn't lock the charge cable for AC charging (unlike some other cars). But it does lock the cable for DC charging (like most other cars). When I'm done charging at Electrify America, I push that button. Immediately, I can hear that the EA machine stops (the fan like noise in the EA equipment stops) and also an unlock sound from the charge port.

Cnote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Corvette Stingray, 2021 Mach E premium SR RWD
Country flag
I have a Grizzl-E as well and I just push the latch button on the coupler itself. If it's charging at the time I give it a second to stop charging when I push the unlatch button and I'm good to go.

generaltso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME Premium AWD SR Infinite Blue
Country flag
As others have said, the button is supposed to just be for DCFC.

Murse-In-Airy

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E ER AWD
Occupation
Nurse
Country flag
You are correct that this button will do noting for your Grizzl-E. That doesn’t truly lock on to the port.
It is only for DC Fast Charging, where the high voltage pins, the ones under the little flip down cover, could arc and kill you if you unplugged it while electricity was flowing. In that case, pushing the unlock button is for getting the DCFC cable unplugged if there is a fault with the charger and it wont release Itself. You should still disconnect by pressing stop on the charging unit and letting it unlock itself.
Sponsored