What is this (see picture) bar above the steering wheel?

TimBE

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Mustang Mach E
Country flag
I was wondering: what is that plastic bar above the steering wheel? Is it just for decoration or is it also functional as a screen for showing warning icons?
If not functional, I really wonder why it’s there since it limits my view on the display somewhat.
Ford Mustang Mach-E What is this (see picture) bar above the steering wheel? 8A75CEEB-C1DF-4224-B56F-A2160387B325
Sponsored

hybrid2bev

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Job 1 Premium4X - EAP Member
Country flag
Infrared eye tracker for use with BlueCruise. It's to make sure you are watching the road.

Ford BlueCruise builds upon available Intelligent Adaptive Cruise Control with Stop-and-Go and Lane Centering and Speed Sign Recognition. It allows you to operate your vehicle hands-free while you are monitored by a driver-facing camera to make sure you’re keeping your eyes on the road, with the potential for more enhancements in the future.

https://www.ford.com/support/how-to...s/what-is-ford-bluecruise-hands-free-driving/

Mach1E

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach 1, Chevy SS-sold, GTPE delivered oct 2021
Country flag
I was wondering: what is that plastic bar above the steering wheel? Is it just for decoration or is it also functional as a screen for showing warning icons?
If not functional, I really wonder why it’s there since it limits my view on the display somewhat.
Ford Mustang Mach-E What is this (see picture) bar above the steering wheel? 8A75CEEB-C1DF-4224-B56F-A2160387B325
Infrared sensor. Tracks your eyes for hands free Bluecruise.

Also sends consumer information to sell you advertising through Google and Amazon.

Drea89

First Name
Andrea
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-e RWD EXT. range
Country flag
it's an infrared array of lights for the driver attention system, I think it's only used in bluecruise and not in the copilot 360 (the only one available in europe) or for anything else

OP
OP

TimBE

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Mustang Mach E
Country flag
Thanks all for the quick responses! Let’s hope it doesn’t take too long to become useful then ?

saywhat4412

First Name
That Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E
Country flag
if the car doesn't like the way you're driving it will put an electrical shock up your ass

Jimrpa

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Infinite Blue Premium Mustang Mach E ER AWD
Occupation
Retied (formerly tried to herd highly technical, independent cats)
Country flag
Europeans don’t have BlueCruise either? It’s not just us job 1 NA people?

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
Seen through your phone's camera.

Ford Mustang Mach-E What is this (see picture) bar above the steering wheel? PXL_20211215_133830638.MP

ctenidae

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
DMG GT; Taycan, Q7, Sienna Hybrid
Occupation
Solver of problems
Country flag
Also sends consumer information to sell you advertising through Google and Amazon.
Beamed straight into your eyeballs, right? I think the 8-way power seat massage function is good at getting your wallet out of your pocket, too.
Sponsored