Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘21 4X, ‘14 SS Sedan tuned, ‘17 WRX tuned
Occupation
Analyst
Country flag
Sorry, but the exponential improvements in BEVs in the near future is more likely just a pipe dream.

Electric cars have been around just as long as gas powered cars. Sure, they’re more mainstream now than ever, but we have been working on this technology for over 100 years.

Same goes for the components (electric motors and batteries).

There is nothing out there that leads me to believe an exponential improvement is just around the corner.

Incremental? Sure. Slightly better charging speed, range and less weight. But no miracle.

It’s why the 2023 Tesla Model S isn’t much different than the 2013 Tesla Model S. They’ve had a decade and nearly limitless funding and all we got was slightly more power, slightly bigger batteries but no real tech breakthrough.
Disagree to a degree. Tesla didn’t evolve because it had a leadership and ego problem from on high. You know this. Go see what compact drive systems Lucid is using or what Rimac or even Koenigsegg are doing. And that’s just the low hanging fruit I’m thinking of at the moment. Not to mention the pack tech that’s going to bring 500-700 mile ranges to the masses inside 5-10 yrs.
Sponsored

Mach1E

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach 1, Chevy SS-sold, GTPE delivered oct 2021
Country flag
Disagree to a degree. Tesla didn’t evolve because it had a leadership and ego problem from on high. You know this. Go see what compact drive systems Lucid is using or what Rimac or even Koenigsegg are doing. And that’s just the low hanging fruit I’m thinking of at the moment. Not to mention the pack tech that’s going to bring 500-700 mile ranges to the masses inside 5-10 yrs.
I’ll believe it when I see it.

So far for the last decade it’s been a whole lot of “hope, targets or promises” but nothing real to back it up.

For example- everyone is trying to make a mass market solid state battery……. And everyone is failing.

And as far as the motors go- where do we even go from here? Is there even a “better tech” on the horizon?

Which leaves us with charging speed. Again, where do we go from here? Even if they increase the speed, if we end up with 500-700 mile range batteries, it’ll take even longer to charge them.

Instead, I see incremental changes over the next decade. A little faster charging, a little more range. Not much different than ICE vehicles over the last few decades. Every few years we get a little more power, a little more fuel economy and some new features.

Not sure we can really use your examples from the $150k to $2 million vehicles. Too dang expensive to be mainstream.

OP
OP
Pushrods&Capacitors

Pushrods&Capacitors

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘21 4X, ‘14 SS Sedan tuned, ‘17 WRX tuned
Occupation
Analyst
Country flag
I’ll believe it when I see it.

So far for the last decade it’s been a whole lot of “hope, targets or promises” but nothing real to back it up.

For example- everyone is trying to make a mass market solid state battery……. And everyone is failing.

And as far as the motors go- where do we even go from here? Is there even a “better tech” on the horizon?

Which leaves us with charging speed. Again, where do we go from here? Even if they increase the speed, if we end up with 500-700 mile range batteries, it’ll take even longer to charge them.

Instead, I see incremental changes over the next decade. A little faster charging, a little more range. Not much different than ICE vehicles over the last few decades. Every few years we get a little more power, a little more fuel economy and some new features.

Not sure we can really use your examples from the $150k to $2 million vehicles. Too dang expensive to be mainstream.
Well, the good tech starts on track or in the $$$ machines until economies of scale can take effect, no? It always has. And that compact Lucid drive unit is pretty neat stuff.

Mach1E

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach 1, Chevy SS-sold, GTPE delivered oct 2021
Country flag
Well, the good tech starts on track or in the $$$ machines until economies of scale can take effect, no? It always has. And that compact Lucid drive unit is pretty neat stuff.
Neat? Sure. But I don’t see any real breakthroughs that would make a normal BEV anything but “incrementally better” like I was saying.

What technological results would be required in the next decade to make a real difference?

Double the range
Half the cost (for batteries)
Half the charge TIME
Half the weight (for batteries)

My bet? We accomplish none of the above, let alone all of the above. Instead we may get a little more range, a little less cost, a little faster charging and a little less weight.

Kinda like what we got in the last decade.
Sponsored