Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘21 4X, ‘14 SS Sedan tuned, ‘17 WRX tuned
Occupation
Analyst
Country flag
Wow, just wow. Hyundai N isn’t screwing around. Just read the details. 2 full laps of the 12.9 mile Nurburgring with little/no performance degradation. All kinds of structural and mechanical enhancements. 8-speed shift mimicking ability. For around $70K. 640+ real HP. You’re looking at a high 10s @ 125+ mph 1/4 mile car that can eat curves too. If the 576hp EV6 GT is doing 3.2s to 60 and 11.2 1/4s already the N is gonna pull 2.9s and 10.8s.

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a44522398/2024-hyundai-ioniq-5-n-revealed/
Sponsored

HuntingPudel

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT-PE, 1979 Fire-Am, 1972 K/5 Blazer
Occupation
Engineering
Country flag
Dang. Ford needs to fix the MME. I know they won’t but… Too bad I do not like the aesthetics of the Ioniq5. 😕🐩

kltye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
IB MME Premium RWD
Country flag
Hopefully there'll be a way to turn off all the simulated nonsense. Also, I wonder what exactly contributes to its poorer energy efficiency - we've heard a lot that more powerful motors aren't inherently less efficient than less powerful ones at the same speed, so there's got to be more losses somewhere else. Other than that, looks like a solid performance EV.

ARK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E
Country flag
Hopefully there'll be a way to turn off all the simulated nonsense. Also, I wonder what exactly contributes to its poorer energy efficiency - we've heard a lot that more powerful motors aren't inherently less efficient than less powerful ones at the same speed, so there's got to be more losses somewhere else. Other than that, looks like a solid performance EV.
The larger and stickier tires play a big role - you can see this in the EPA ratings for something like a Model X with different tire sizes.

voxel

First Name
Nelson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Mach-E 4X, 23 GC Limited
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
The larger and stickier tires play a big role - you can see this in the EPA ratings for something like a Model X with different tire sizes.
Better battery cooling is the major achievement. Most EVs don't even survive one full lap.

Bikespace

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 MME Premium ER 4x
Country flag
So now Hyundai owners have their choice of two motors and a fake DCT to replace under warranty.

I wish there was an easy way around the 5-second rule...

SWO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach E GT, 2021 Escape PHEV, 2019 F-150
Country flag
Stats sound great, but the fake 8-speed transmission is pure cheese.

As for saying their engineers have made a great achievement in battery cooling, we might want to give it some time to see how they do in the real world. Hyundai/Kia has had experience with recalling EVs to spontaneously combusting in the past.

dmastro

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach E Premium AWD (ordered), 2018 Tesla M3
Country flag
I'm not the target demographic for this car, but wow, they're definitely trying to raise the bar.

Mach1E

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach 1, Chevy SS-sold, GTPE delivered oct 2021
Country flag
Wow, just wow. Hyundai N isn’t screwing around. Just read the details. 2 full laps of the 12.9 mile Nurburgring with little/no performance degradation. All kinds of structural and mechanical enhancements. 8-speed shift mimicking ability. For around $70K. 640+ real HP. You’re looking at a high 10s @ 125+ mph 1/4 mile car that can eat curves too. If the 576hp EV6 GT is doing 3.2s to 60 and 11.2 1/4s already the N is gonna pull 2.9s and 10.8s.

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a44522398/2024-hyundai-ioniq-5-n-revealed/
I’ll go on record now to say that 10.8 isn’t happening, but it is going to be stupid fast. Where did you see 11.2? C&D did 11.6- https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/a42097092/2023-kia-ev6-gt-by-the-numbers/

Too bad it’s still ugly.

Why oh why do BEV manufacturers have no style?

Fast cars USED to be the sexiest cars on the road. This one looks like a mid 14 second “hot hatch” from 15 years ago.

The fake transmission thing is pretty funny though. Definitely NOT something I miss from my ICE vehicles.

voxel

First Name
Nelson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Mach-E 4X, 23 GC Limited
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
2 full laps is impressive though. I doubt the Mach-E GTPE would last half a lap. Most other EVs basically die after a single lap.

"Of 42 cars that went through the grill in our extreme Nürburgring tests , three were powered by an electric motor. But none shone. The heavy BMW i4 M50 proved to be a little risky in turns, handicapped it is true by unsuitable tires. The Tesla Model 3 Performance appeared harsher but lost half its power in less than a lap and its brakes in less than three corners. As for His Majesty Porsche Taycan Turbo S, it is the one that impressed the most with its performance… for only one lap, before failing in “turtle” mode to cool its overheated batteries."

https://www.largus.fr/actualite-aut...bonne-electrique-au-nurburgring-30024202.html

CompilerBreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT
Country flag
"Range estimates will be available closer to launch, but we aren't expecting them to be groundbreaking. Call it around 220 miles."

You can't have everything right now, there's going to be a trade off, and personally a sub 250 mi range EV is a non-starter.

Psalm139

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Abarth 124
Country flag
" You’re looking at a high 10s @ 125+ mph 1/4 mile car that can eat curves too. If the 576hp EV6 GT is doing 3.2s to 60 and 11.2 1/4s already the N is gonna pull 2.9s and 10.8s."

I mean, I know you are making a good guess, but Hyundai says "3.4 to 60." Before you get too excited, just wait. They might have to throttle the power to stop it from overheating.

Like you though, I got excited. Then I thought "If I had $70k, would I buy this for DD and track?"
No. I would want a real engine, sounds, and some shifting. That is what is fun at a track. At $70k, I get can a lot of that. I like that they are targeting enthusiasts, but I don't think this is what we want.
Electric enthusiasts certainly don't.
Sponsored