Wheels: Plastidip, Powder Coat, or Nothing?

Jayhawkoholic

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Mustang MachE Premium AWD
Occupation
Film/Television
Country flag
I have the Carbonized Grey MachE Premium. I was considering Gloss Plastidip, which arrived today. My friend strongly urged me not to do that to new wheels. She suggested I just buy black rims instead. Does anyone have thoughts, suggestions, or examples of theirs to show?
Sponsored

intoMME

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E AWD Select w/Tech Pkg. Infinity Blue
Country flag
The stock rims are fairly heavy, so if you want to change something, why not get some light weight forged wheels? Try to stick with factory offsets to maintain the way the car is supposed to handle. It will also reduce bearing wear if you stay with correct offsets. Also, if you ever go to trade in or sell the car, it will be worth more with the factory wheels, so save them if you can. I have not changed my Mach E wheels yet, but when I bought my Flex, I took off the 47 lb 17 inch wheels and replaced them with 20 inch 23 lb TSW rotary forged wheels.

Mach-Tony

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Carbonized Grey Premium AWD
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Country flag
People have already done this, search this forum and you will see what they look like. Plastidip is much cheaper and easier than others but it may not last as long.

phidauex

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MachE 4EX, 2006 Prius, 1997 Tacoma
Occupation
Renewable Energy Engineer
Country flag
I’d go with nothing for a while, to see what you really want after owning the car for a bit. Then if you still want black wheels then I’d suggest going with an actual forged set of wheels in gloss black (lots of pics here, but the MRR wheels seem to be a nice combo of quality and price), and save the stock wheels for snow tires.

If you do want to change the color of the stock wheels, then powdercoat seems like the more permanent way to do it. Plasti-dip seems more like something I’d do to an old set of wheels to try to freshen them up on the cheap rather than something I’d do to brand new equipment, but that is just me.
Sponsored