Winter tires

mr_raider

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E Select AWD
Country flag
The bigger question is how bad does the car complain without TPMS installed? I've run my last 3 cars with no TPMS in winter (2GMs and a Volvo). HAd an old LExus with a warning that ate up teh whole dash so had to get TPMS for that.
Sponsored

generaltso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME Premium AWD SR Infinite Blue
Country flag
The bigger question is how bad does the car complain without TPMS installed? I've run my last 3 cars with no TPMS in winter (2GMs and a Volvo). HAd an old LExus with a warning that ate up teh whole dash so had to get TPMS for that.
Since you're in Canada, you might be okay. A lot of cars make the warnings go away quickly on Canadian models since TPMS is not required, but we'll have to wait and see if the MME behaves that way. This is not the case in the US since TPMS is government mandated.

ClaudeMach-E

First Name
Claude
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach 3- Tempo- Malibu(3)-Actual Kia Sportage AWD
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I suspect that there will be a warning coming from the tire pressure screen on the infotainment system. It will probably show a big exclamation point in a yellow red triangle but without any beeps. The MME will be my first car with TPMS so I think I will appreciate and try to find on eBay or Amazon better priced TPMS then the Ford originals.

generaltso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I suspect that there will be a warning coming from the tire pressure screen on the infotainment system. It will probably show a big exclamation point in a yellow red triangle but without any beeps. The MME will be my first car with TPMS so I think I will appreciate and try to find on eBay or Amazon better priced TPMS then the Ford originals.
Just go with universal cloneable sensors. They cost $25-$30 brand new. It's not like the expensive OEM sensors are made by Ford anyway. They're made by Schrader.

ClaudeMach-E

First Name
Claude
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Just go with universal cloneable sensors. They cost $25-$30 brand new. It's not like the expensive OEM sensors are made by Ford anyway. They're made by Schrader.
I've read I think that there are also autoprogrammable TPMS, has I'm reading on those it seems that you need a special tool to program them.

generaltso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I've read I think that there are also autoprogrammable TPMS, has I'm reading on those it seems that you need a special tool to program them.
Yeah, I bought the tool because we go through a lot of cars in my family. But you can probably get a local garage or tire shop to clone them for you. It only needs to be done once.

ClaudeMach-E

First Name
Claude
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Yeah, I bought the tool because we go through a lot of cars in my family. But you can probably get a local garage or tire shop to clone them for you. It only needs to be done once.
Yes my son in law is a mechanic for Kia where I have my car service so I guess he will be able to do that for me then. Is the programming tool universal also, I would guess yes? It seems that on Amazon some tools looks like they are designate for a specific brand of cars.

generaltso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Yes my son in law is a mechanic for Kia where I have my car service so I guess he will be able to do that for me then. Is the programming tool universal also, I would guess yes? It seems that on Amazon some tools looks like they are designate for a specific brand of cars.
The tools that mechanics have are likely universal. The one that I have is an Autel brand that requires Autel sensors.

ClaudeMach-E

First Name
Claude
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
The tools that mechanics have are likely universal. The one that I have is an Autel brand that requires Autel sensors.
Yes You are the one that recommended those on the forum the other day., Thanks for your input.

PeeCee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
First Edition Red Mustang MachE
Country flag
I had a Lancer Ralliart last year, went to Costco to change my tires, one of my tpms was broken (used for 10 years) and they charge me 3$ to change it... Worked fine. I'd consider checking out Costco too, could be worth it.

generaltso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I had a Lancer Ralliart last year, went to Costco to change my tires, one of my tpms was broken (used for 10 years) and they charge me 3$ to change it... Worked fine. I'd consider checking out Costco too, could be worth it.
They charged you $3.00 for a new sensor? Are they the ones that broke it?

PeeCee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
First Edition Red Mustang MachE
Country flag
They charged you $3.00 for a new sensor? Are they the ones that broke it?
They said it broke as they put the new tires. So I assume they are the ones that broke them. But I was also surprised that it wasabout 3$, was expecting a lot more. Maybe they gave me a rebate cause they broke it?

generaltso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
They said it broke as they put the new tires. So I assume they are the ones that broke them. But I was also surprised that it wasabout 3$, was expecting a lot more. Maybe they gave me a rebate cause they broke it?
Yeah, I would guess that they essentially replaced it for free since they broke it. Maybe the $3.00 was for nitrogen or something.

woody

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E, Chevy Bolt
Country flag
In my youth, when Copper John would carry his tape measure to determine bumper height and wright tickets if too high or for loud glass packs, etc., guys would switch wheel size to put on slicks and the like.
I, on the other hand, have always thought (and kept) the original wheel size was somehow part of the engineering design of the vehicle and would work the best. It has worked fine all the while, many years and many vehicles.
I did purchase snow tires with a five gallon bucket of sand or kitty litter in the trunk in my youth while living in Ohio. But A/S tires worked fine there as well. But if snow tires work for you, buy them.
I have lived the last 40+ years in Colorado(Denver metro.) and not once have I considered or bought snow tires. They are a waste of money and of no use here.
Replacement tires have always been same size A/S Michelins except for my 1Ton light truck which used 8 ply+ 1Ton tires for the 1Ton capacity (30+ mpg , 20 years). I did put a little wider replacement tire on my 2004 Prius (same wheel size).
My Bolt does fine all season with the Energy Savers (smooth ride, good traction, efficient, etc.). I trust the MME will also. I think the RWD MME will perform admirably as well, perhaps even better than the Bolt.
One of the reasons for purchasing the AWD MME is that Colorado has already mandated AWD on certain roads at certain times. No reason to believe they will not expand that. We are not getting younger and we do not enjoy this mandatory incarceration stuff and will certainly have situations where we have to go and get there. And the MME has already proven to handle better than most anything else out there. Yes, I learned long ago and far away that 4wheel drive, AWD, twenty wheel drive, etc. does not make a bad driver a good driver or make you invincible.
I hope I do not have to change wheel size. I think continuing as I have for many decades should still work.
Or am I wrong?

ay221

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche 718 Cayman GTS
Country flag