Claude
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach 3- Tempo- Malibu(3)-Actual Kia Sportage AWD
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Nokian has a new tire made for EVs. These are studded type and should only be used if you have problems with ice in your area.

https://www.nokiantires.com/tires/by-tire-size/studded-tires/?s=245-45-20

These one lists as for SUVs
https://www.nokiantires.com/tires/by-tire-size/studded-tires/?s=225-55-19

https://www.nokiantires.com/tires/by-tire-size/studded-tires/?s=225-60-18
I think these would be perfect for FWD EV'S like the Bolt or the Kona and Niro , all of these cars have issues with tire spinning to easily due to high torque delivery on the front wheels on start up.
Sponsored

SebastienMachE

First Name
Sebastien
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Dodge Journey
Country flag
I’ve read many of you suggesting x or y tires for our MME. But you have to be aware of the minimum load rating for the Extended range AWD (because the vehicule is fairly heavy!): 103.

Most of you suggested good winter tires, but rated only at 99.
Here are the only 5 tires that I could find in 19in, with the best CAD$ pricing on the net:

462B4FE8-64AC-4444-AFF3-391AE31671F8.png

Metv707

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Mach E
Country flag
I’ve read many of you suggesting x or y tires for our MME. But you have to be aware of the minimum load rating for the Extended range AWD (because the vehicule is fairly heavy!): 103.

Here are the only 5 tires that I could find in 19in, with the best CAD$ pricing on the net:

I found the NOKIAN HAKKAPELIITTA R3 SUV tires. Also have the 103 load rating.

I have the Nokian

SebastienMachE

First Name
Sebastien
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Dodge Journey
Country flag
I found the NOKIAN HAKKAPELIITTA R3 SUV tires. Also have the 103 load rating.

I have the Nokian
Right! Nokian currently have 5x SUV winter tires at 103.

I guess local dealers here in Quebec city don’t carry them...

Another thing to be aware for AWD cars: if you have a blowout and need to replace the tire, you need to have the exact model as installed. Moreover, you might need to change all 4x if the wear is uneven on them! So don’t go buy 2018 tires, you might not be able to find them in a year from now...

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
If you have 18" wheels (Select, Rt1), then there is the michelin crossclimate SUV tire (225/60R18) with a rating of 104.

generaltso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME Premium AWD SR Infinite Blue
Country flag
I'll be going with the Nokian Hakka R3. I wouldn't mind going with their EV tire if they made a studless version.

sockmeister

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E4x
Occupation
SW Engineer
Country flag

generaltso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Have you guys considered the Firestone Winterforce? I feel like it's always an overlooked tire, and they perform very well in the snow.
I've had Winterforce in the past, and they do well in snow. But since it's a studdable tire, the compound doesn't do as well on ice as a studless tire unless you get studs. After being driven crazy by the noise of studs for a couple of seasons, I will never get studded tires again. I've gone with studless Hakkas and Michelin X-Ice tires on my last several cars and have been very happy with both. The performance on ice probably isn't quite as good as studs, but it's close enough in modern studless tires that I prefer it over the noise.

Mopey

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 MME GTPE, 22 Lightning Lariat
Country flag

I'm holding out for the Continental TS 870, the replacement for the Continental TS 860. The planned 2020 release was put off to this summer due to the pandemic. This is just one summary from autoexpress but is very much inline with other reviews:

"... its rivals will need some major improvements to match it. It topped the snow tests thanks to a stellar handling performance. While it was only fourth in traction and braking, it was close to the best, and a remarkable two seconds quicker around the handling track than the next quickest. Grip was on another level, with a strong front and a well controlled rear. In the wet it was pipped by our winner and matched by the runner-up, which were a step away on snow.

That strong front was still there in the wet, helping it secure the quickest time by just under a second. Again it had a great balance, with rear movement limited despite higher front grip than rivals, which stayed for longer as the lock increased.

The usual trade-off for good performance in the wet is fuel economy, but Continental must have found something with its winter compound, because it topped the rolling resistance table.

The TS 870 is a pretty special tire, combining remarkable snow performance with pace-setting wet grip and excellent fuel economy. "

I suspect it won't be cheap, but it does seem to best combine all the requirements of a good winter tire with the special needs of an EV.

sockmeister

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E4x
Occupation
SW Engineer
Country flag
I've had Winterforce in the past, and they do well in snow. But since it's a studdable tire, the compound doesn't do as well on ice as a studless tire unless you get studs. After being driven crazy by the noise of studs for a couple of seasons, I will never get studded tires again. I've gone with studless Hakkas and Michelin X-Ice tires on my last several cars and have been very happy with both. The performance on ice probably isn't quite as good as studs, but it's close enough in modern studless tires that I prefer it over the noise.
Good point about the studs, but as an anecdotal experience, I can say that they did perfectly fine for me on ice. Studs would have made them better.
The main draw for this tire is the price point. I've seen them almost half the price of Michelin X-Ice.

generaltso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Good point about the studs, but as an anecdotal experience, I can say that they did perfectly fine for me on ice. Studs would have made them better.
The main draw for this tire is the price point. I've seen them almost half the price of Michelin X-Ice.
Yup, it’s an inexpensive tire and a good value. But I prefer the studless Hakkas.
Sponsored