Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MachE 4EX, 2006 Prius, 1997 Tacoma
Occupation
Renewable Energy Engineer
Country flag
Theoretically as long as the load rating is higher than the 1/2 of the larger of the two GAWR (gross axle weight rating), then you should be OK. However, manufacturers often seem to up-rate a bit, and I'm not sure what the methodology is for that (more safety factor? Accounting for aggressive driving? I'd be curious if anyone knows for sure).

For the Premium ER/AWD, the ratings are:
GVWR (Gross Vehicle Weight Rating)5800 lbs
Front GAWR (Gross Axle Weight Rating)2660 lbs
Rear GAWR (Gross Axle Weight Rating)3225 lbs

Half of the rear GAWR is 1612 lbs. The lowest load rating that exceeds 1612 lbs is "98", so "technically" anything over 98 should work, which may explain the demo cars on 99 rated tires.

That said, everywhere I've read suggests that you respect the OEM's decision on load rating (which on the door sticker is "103H") and not drop below it. But speaking for myself, if I found the tire I wanted and it was one or two steps below the OEM rating, but still well above the calculated rating, I'd feel OK going for it. Just do it eyes open.
Sponsored

sockmeister

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E4x
Occupation
SW Engineer
Country flag
Theoretically as long as the load rating is higher than the 1/2 of the larger of the two GAWR (gross axle weight rating), then you should be OK. However, manufacturers often seem to up-rate a bit, and I'm not sure what the methodology is for that (more safety factor? Accounting for aggressive driving? I'd be curious if anyone knows for sure).

Half of the rear GAWR is 1612 lbs. The lowest load rating that exceeds 1612 lbs is "98", so "technically" anything over 98 should work, which may explain the demo cars on 99 rated tires.

That said, everywhere I've read suggests that you respect the OEM's decision on load rating (which on the door sticker is "103H") and not drop below it. But speaking for myself, if I found the tire I wanted and it was one or two steps below the OEM rating, but still well above the calculated rating, I'd feel OK going for it. Just do it eyes open.
That is good to know.
So, a "100" rated tire, at 1764 lbs, will be greater than half of the 3225 maximum/GAWR rating, and would be OK.

Yes, I'm betting they went higher for a padded factor of safety.

SebastienMachE

First Name
Sebastien
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Dodge Journey
Country flag

Food for thought: wouldn’t it be better for range if the tire is 103 instead of 99? Just asking., as my knowledge in this is very limited...

phidauex

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
Food for thought: wouldn’t it be better for range if the tire is 103 instead of 99? Just asking., as my knowledge in this is very limited...
I think the answer is "it depends". The rolling resistance of a tire is extremely complicated, and is affected by everything about the design including the rubber compound, the sidewall construction, the lug shapes and depth, the hardness (durometer), air pressure, etc. And in all of these cases there isn't just a "more is better" relationship, higher air pressure for instance will improve rolling resistance for a while, until you get too high, and rolling resistance starts to increase again.

So maybe, for a tire of otherwise identical construction that was offered in both a 99 and a 103, the 103 might have better rolling resistance, but I don't think you can compare two different tires using the load range and guess at the rolling resistance difference between them.

Mike16

First Name
Michel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Premium AWD ER Star White
Country flag
But will the tire tread melt faster if you use 99 instead of 103?

phidauex

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
But will the tire tread melt faster if you use 99 instead of 103?
No, the load rating doesn’t have anything to do with the tire compound or tread life, it is more about the sidewall, bead and belt construction. Higher load rating just means it can carry more weight, not that it will last longer.

phidauex

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
FYI, for the load rating conversation, there appears to be two very similar versions of the Michelin Primacy A/S. The Primacy Tour A/S is 225/55/R19 99V and the Primacy A/S is 225/55/R19 103H XL.

So it does look like the pre-productions have the 103H, not the 99V shown on Tire Rack and elsewhere (which show the Primacy Tour not the Primacy). I'm still hoping to hear more about the stock tires people are actually seeing.

I believe the "XL" rating on the load rating means it gets a higher load rating at a higher pressure (41psi) rather than standard load (SL) which hits its max at 35psi. That makes some sense since the recommended pressure 39 psi, higher than most cars. That leads me to believe the XL rating isn't for weight, but for tire pressure.

kdryden99

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Sentra Spec-V, Infinite Blue Mach E4X Prem
Country flag
So do we know if our cars can have 2 sets of tpms sensors associated to it or does it need to be programmed if we switch wheels

generaltso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME Premium AWD SR Infinite Blue
Country flag
So do we know if our cars can have 2 sets of tpms sensors associated to it or does it need to be programmed if we switch wheels
Modern Fords automatically learn new sensor IDs, so this shouldn’t be an issue.

kdryden99

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Sentra Spec-V, Infinite Blue Mach E4X Prem
Country flag
Modern Fords automatically learn new sensor IDs, so this shouldn’t be an issue.
So basically i can switch out the wheels with some universal tpms sensors and after a few minutes of driving itll get the new id's?

generaltso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
So basically i can switch out the wheels with some universal tpms sensors and after a few minutes of driving itll get the new id's?
The sensors will need to be the correct frequency, and compatible with the MME, but yes the sensor IDs will be learned by the car automatically.

generaltso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
How does the car react to teh absence of TPMS sensors?
Good question, I haven't tried. In some cars, US versions will continue to nag when TPMS sensors are missing, but Canadian versions only nag once since they're not required in Canada. Somebody will have to try it to see if that's the case with the MME.

OP
OP
JCHLi

JCHLi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E First Edition
Country flag
Considering the michelin pilot alpin 5 suv zp.. found it in 225/60R18

But I also see a michelin pilot alpin 5 in 235/50R19

I like the smaller diameter rim because $$$ but the other option seems like more grip.

So the big question, what is the significance of the "suv zp"? Both have the same load ratings and I haven't found the difference yet.

*Edit:. Okay I see "zp" means zero pressure, so I assume it has some benefits to allow it to run flat.

Not sure if I want or need that.

Last edited:

stmache

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford Mustang Mach-e GTP, 2017 Ford Mustang EB
Occupation
IT Manager, Photographer
Country flag
With the calendar flipping to September next week and winters in upstate NY could start as early as mid-November, I am looking for Winter Tire advice. This thread has good advice on tire brands.

TireRack now lists the Ford Mustang Mach-E in their search. For winter tires, this link will show you the brands they carry: Mach-E Winter Tires

The list includes the Continental WINTERCONTACT TS 860 S for those interested.
Sponsored