Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach 3- Tempo- Malibu(3)-Actual Kia Sportage AWD
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Hard to believe as well!!!

After lots of thinking this over, I've decided to keep the Premium wheels for Summer and get 18" for winter. It was getting a little too pricey for me to move to 20" + tires + winter tires... I have better use for my money!

And I went to the least expensive wheels for winter... Steel wheels from Costco 99$ each!. Tried them on they fit nicely (but don't see how 17" would fit around the front brakes). And yes they are ok for the car 1950lbs capacity each
How can you fit 18'' tires on 17'' wheels? I also have decided for 18'' wheels for my Premium AWD but I'll buy cheap mags good for winter use that will cost somewhere around $170 plus more or less has I wouldn't want rusted steel wheels on my MME. For tires I've decided to go with Continental Viking Contact 7 225 60R 18 and total cost will be ''reasonable'' sort of speak. I've alredy check some prices and so far Blackcircles.ca are the best for the tires and Quattrotires.com is best for the wheels and TPMS but I will also check the dealer. I will also most probably order them soon has there is a possibility of a shortage due too the supply chain problems still.

Last edited:

dssdmddmd

First Name
Donald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E
Occupation
retired
Country flag
How can you fit 18'' tires on 17'' wheels? I also have decided for 18'' wheels for my Premium AWD but I'll buy cheap mags good for winter use that will cost somewhere around $170 plus more or less has I wouldn't want rusted steel wheels on my MME. For tires I've decided to go with Continental Viking Contact 7 225 60R 18 and total cost will be ''reasonable'' sort of speak. I've alredy check some prices and so far Blackcircles.ca are the best for the tires and Quattrotires.com is best for the wheels and TPMS but I will also check the dealer. I will also most probably order them soon has there is a possibility of a shortage due too the supply chain problems still.
Anyone have experience or advice when it comes to winter tires with a EV SUV?

Since I've been in Michigan I always get a second set of wheels and tires for winter.

Since I'm bored and think of stuff like this I've been looking at options and prices. I've been able to find 225/60 R18 Blizzak as one option.

Just curious if anyone has input on the general idea of winter tires on a EV SUV.

dssdmddmd

First Name
Donald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E
Occupation
retired
Country flag
I just ordered winter tires during Costco Michelin sale that runs 8/30/21 to -about end of Sept. Discount is 75.00 off tires and free mounting, balancing and TPMS adjustment free, for another $80.00 off on 4 tires.. The tires I ordered- Michelin Pilot Alpin 5 SUV Winter tread run flat are not cheap, but comes with a 30K milage warranty and Costco offers free 5 years road hazard. The Michelin Pilot Alpin 5 SUV come as standard equipment on some high end sport cars. Also got Velox Wheels with all season finish rating to include snow- nothing cheap, but I like the Costco extras. Also Consumer Reports rated Costco as one of the best car tire dealers. A number of years ago I tried just 2 winter rear tires on a Datsun 350 Z car and in a curve on slush I hit a tree head on! I survived unhurt, but the car needed major treatment! Never drove a car in the past 30 years without 4 top rated snows. Costco includes 5 years free rotations, so each winter it is to be done free. I believe only Michelin has a tread life guarantee on winter tires. Because of the low profile on my two Audi's I have had tire damage from pot holes, so I ordered 18" 225/60,18 for my premium AWD winter tires. Now all I need is the Mach E I ordered in March to put on the new snows this November!

fixed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-e Select RWD
Country flag
surprised no one's mentioned downsizing your winter rims.my select RWD is on 19s, but i prefer downsizing and going to a taller, narrower tire for winter. lighter, cheaper, and cuts better. i bought this setup from tire rack.
Ford Mustang Mach-E Winter tires 1630532856366

it'll be my first time on any continental winter. i've had, on other FWD cars:
  • Michelin xIce 2 and 3 (on a toyota sienna minivan, truly unstoppable snow tire)
  • General Altimax Arctic (on a mazda 3, not thrilled with these and would not buy again)
  • Blizzak WS80 (also on a sienna, very good tire)
i've always just bought the cheapest alloy wheel (in the smallest size i can get) and swapped the wheels in the driveway when the seasons change. i used to do it when i changed the oil - i guess i'll need a different schedule with the mach-e!

i think someone recommended getting the aero wheels for their winter wheels. i haven't tried them in the winter, but in general i recommend NOT buying winter wheels that can trap snow and ice. it's super annoying and probably dangerous to end up with a big block of ice stuck between spokes of the wheel, or the wheel cover and the wheel. throws the wheel balance off completely. would not recommend the aero wheels for winter for that reason.

also i didn't get TPMS, so i'll tell you all what happens without TPMS. although i'm sure our canadian brethren will beat me to it.

stmache

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford Mustang Mach-e GTP, 2017 Ford Mustang EB
Occupation
IT Manager, Photographer
Country flag
surprised no one's mentioned downsizing your winter rims.my select RWD is on 19s, but i prefer downsizing and going to a taller, narrower tire for winter. lighter, cheaper, and cuts better. i bought this setup from tire rack.
Ford Mustang Mach-E Winter tires 1630532856366
Hello, fellow upstater! I have been contemplating going to an 18" wheel for winter, too. I really like the look of the wheels you found, too! Thanks for sharing.

fixed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-e Select RWD
Country flag
Hello, fellow upstater! I have been contemplating going to an 18" wheel for winter, too. I really like the look of the wheels you found, too! Thanks for sharing.
they're sitting in the packaging in my garage so i haven't even looked at them in reality yet. will post photos once mounted in a few months

mr_raider

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E Select AWD
Country flag
Does anyone know how the MME reacts to not having TPMS installed? Is it just a warning that can be dismissed, or does it hamper functionality.

I'm in CAnada, there are no TPMS laws here.

tuminatr

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME, 1964 G1 Mustang, 1993 Mustang
Occupation
Sales
Country flag
Does anyone know how the MME reacts to not having TPMS installed? Is it just a warning that can be dismissed, or does it hamper functionality.

I'm in CAnada, there are no TPMS laws here.
I would think it makes no difference. TPMS sensors are cheap so I would not go without them. Rock Auto sells the Schneider 33500 for about $20 us per sensor

The thing that would annoy the crap out of me is fordpass and you vehicle will let you know that your TPMS is not operating when you start the car as you drive around ETC ETC. Chimes, alarms, notifications ETC

My last ford one of the sensors when bad I never had a chance to bring it in and have it fixed by the end of winter I was happy to put my summer tires back on

Last edited:

mr_raider

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I would think it makes no difference. TPMS sensors are cheap so I would not go without them. Rock Auto sells the Schneider 33500 for about $20 us per sensor

The thing that would annoy the crap out of me is fordpass will let you know that your TPMS is not operating when you start the car as you drive around ETC ETC. My last ford one of the sensors when bad and by the end of winter I was happy to put my summer tires back on
IS a special tool required for the schrader unit?

Can they be mounted on steel wheels?

tuminatr

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Sales
Country flag
Yes, and No, most shops equipped to change a tire have what's needed. Most shops will clone/copy the factory TPMS sensor ID's that way you switch out the tires and do not need to reprogram the car. And as for Steel wheels, more than likely TPMS sensors can install in them as its required in USA manufacturers have accommodated the requirement.

I have my work done at discount tire because they won't F$%# it up.

Test fit one of the steel wheels I am not sure if many designs will clear the front calipers if you go less than 19" steelies

I am going to downsize for winter go with a 225/60/18 and a lightweight aluminum wheel. There are a couple of combinations that will save 13+ lbs per wheel/tire combo. The weight loss should make up for the fact winter tires are less efficient.

mr_raider

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Yes, and No, most shops equipped to change a tire have what's needed. Most shops will clone/copy the factory TPMS sensor ID's that way you switch out the tires and do not need to reprogram the car. And as for Steel wheels, more than likely TPMS sensors can install in them as its required in USA manufacturers have accommodated the requirement.

I have my work done at discount tire because they won't F$%# it up.

Test fit one of the steel wheels I am not sure if many designs will clear the front calipers if you go less than 19" steelies

I am going to downsize for winter go with a 225/60/18 and a lightweight aluminum wheel. There are a couple of combinations that will save 13+ lbs per wheel/tire combo. The weight loss should make up for the fact winter tires are less efficient.
Yeah there are a few guys in teh Canadian owner group who have test fit the steel wheel. Seems to clear the brakes on teh select. Center bore is just right, 18x7.5

We use a lot of salt here, so alloys will eventually flake and fade. Steelies if they rust, just buy a new one and be done with it.

tuminatr

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Sales
Country flag
Yeah there are a few guys in teh Canadian owner group who have test fit the steel wheel. Seems to clear the brakes on teh select. Center bore is just right, 18x7.5

We use a lot of salt here, so alloys will eventually flake and fade. Steelies if they rust, just buy a new one and be done with it.
Nice, well I just picked up a set of wheels for winter use. A set of TSW Bathurst in 18x8 and will do a 225/60/18

SebastienMachE

First Name
Sebastien
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Dodge Journey
Country flag
I just ordered winter tires during Costco Michelin sale that runs 8/30/21 to -about end of Sept. Discount is 75.00 off tires and free mounting, balancing and TPMS adjustment free, for another $80.00 off on 4 tires.. The tires I ordered- Michelin Pilot Alpin 5 SUV Winter tread run flat are not cheap, but comes with a 30K milage warranty and Costco offers free 5 years road hazard. The Michelin Pilot Alpin 5 SUV come as standard equipment on some high end sport cars. Also got Velox Wheels with all season finish rating to include snow- nothing cheap, but I like the Costco extras. Also Consumer Reports rated Costco as one of the best car tire dealers. A number of years ago I tried just 2 winter rear tires on a Datsun 350 Z car and in a curve on slush I hit a tree head on! I survived unhurt, but the car needed major treatment! Never drove a car in the past 30 years without 4 top rated snows. Costco includes 5 years free rotations, so each winter it is to be done free. I believe only Michelin has a tread life guarantee on winter tires. Because of the low profile on my two Audi's I have had tire damage from pot holes, so I ordered 18" 225/60,18 for my premium AWD winter tires. Now all I need is the Mach E I ordered in March to put on the new snows this November!
What is the load index of your Pilot Alpin 5?

tuminatr

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Sales
Country flag
in a 225/60/18 the load index would be 99 for a SL and 104 for an XL
Sponsored