TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
https://www.motortrend.com/cars/vol...DA9B555E2966E087BDB2EF9577EEF98E2D62835CCC949

Volvo’s first electric car is also among its most powerful models ever.
Angus MacKenzieAuthor
Oct 1, 2020

Quick quiz: How many 400-plus-hp production cars has Volvo built? The 402-hp 2021 Volvo XC40 Recharge Pure Electric P8 is one of the most significant cars the Swedish brand has launched, right up there with the P144 Amazon, the 760, and the S80. But that significance derives not from being one of the most powerful Volvos ever produced (along with the Polestar-tweaked XC90 T8 PHEV), but rather what produces that power. The XC40 Recharge Pure Electric P8 is Volvo's first electric car.

The headlines: The XC40 Recharge P8 is powered by a pair of 201-hp electric motors, one mounted at the front axle, the other at the rear, giving a total system output of 402 horsepower and 486 lb-ft of torque and, of course, all-wheel drive. The motors are fed by a 78-kWh lithium-ion battery pack that Volvo expects will deliver an EPA-rated range of about 208 miles, and the battery can be recharged to 80 percent capacity in 40 minutes using a 150-kW DC fast charger. With federal tax credits included, the XC40 Recharge P8 will have a base price of less than $50,000, and first U.S. customer deliveries are expected in early 2021.

The XC40 Recharge P8 is built on the CMA vehicle architecture that underpins the regular internal combustion engine powered XC40, modified to package the Recharge P8's e-motors and associated hardware and, of course, the battery pack. That makes the Recharge P8 heavier than a car built on a bespoke battery electric (BEV) platform. It weighs 4,823 pounds, 456 pounds more than a Tesla Model Y Long Range, for example. But using the CMA architecture shortened the development time—Volvo says the decision to build the XC40 Recharge P8 was only taken in early 2017—and also meant the car could be built in existing factories in Europe and Asia.
CF575AEEEBBB4E258847E65639956182.jpg

There were other advantages to electrifying the XC40. Globally, the compact SUV market is big and still growing, and the regular XC40, distinctively designed, well packaged and well equipped, is an appealing player in the segment, albeit one we've found to be perhaps less sporty to drive than it looks.

The Recharge P8 partly fixes that complaint. Volvo claims the all-electric XC40 will zip from 0-60 in just 4.7 seconds, 1.6 seconds less than it takes the 248-hp, conventionally powered AWD R-Design T5 model. And it feels every bit as quick as that on the road, whooshing past slower traffic in one effortless, silent surge of acceleration, and leaping out of tight corners on a tidal wave of torque and AWD traction.

With its taut ride, the XC40 Recharge P8 feels a bit like a hot hatch on stilts, particularly on the 235/45 Pirelli PZero Elect tires wrapped around the optional 20-inch wheels fitted to our test car. But only to a point: There's not a lot of feel in the steering, which is best in the firmer of the two selectable modes to counter the tendency of the tires to follow contours in the road surface, and the brake pedal gets a little wooden after a stint of enthusiastic driving.

The Recharge P8 driveline has only two modes: Normal, in which the car coasts when you lift off, and One Pedal, which does exactly as it says, using regen to slow the car dramatically the instant you release pressure on the accelerator pedal. One Pedal mode is sometimes useful around town, but Normal mode gives the electric XC40 a nicer, more free-flowing demeanor that makes it less tiring to drive (you don't have to constantly keep pressure on the accelerator just to keep the car moving) and more efficient (converting kinetic energy into energy stored in the battery invariably means some energy is lost). In Normal mode, all braking up to 0.3g is done via regen anyway, and though a little more initial bite would be nice, the blending between regen and mechanical braking is smoothly done.

Although the XC40 Recharge P8 looks almost identical to the rest of the XC40 family, it has a number of unique features. The most obvious is the covered grille, but the design of the standard 19-inch and optional 20-inch alloy wheels, and the Sage Green exterior color of our test car, are exclusive to the Recharge P8. Inside, it's all pretty familiar XC40 fare, but you'll search long and hard for a start-stop button. There isn't one; once the Recharge P8 is unlocked, you simply sit in the seat, buckle up, tug at the stubby shifter, and drive off. There's a sensor in the driver's seat squab that gets the car ready to go.

Despite the battery pack under the floor, the Recharge P8 cabin feels as roomy as that of the regular XC40, and Volvo claims the rear load space area is identical. With no bulky combustion engine up front, there's also a small frunk, roomy enough for a soft bag and some charging cables under the hood. Standard equipment levels are high and include a 12.3-inch digital instrument panel with configurable EV-specific displays, panoramic sunroof, heated front power seats, and inductive charging for your smartphone. Also standard is the full suite of Volvo safety features, including lane keep assist, blind-spot and cross-traffic alert, and rear collision alert.

The XC40 Recharge P8 also has Volvo's new Google Android-powered infotainment system, which comes with Google Maps, Google Assistant, and Google Play apps, among others, all controlled via the 9.0-inch central touchscreen. The system can handle over-the-air updates, allowing upgrades for everything from apps to vehicle software to be downloaded while the car is parked.

The 2021 Volvo XC40 Recharge Pure Electric P8 is smooth, quiet, fast, and as well-built and well-finished as you expect a Volvo to be. But is that enough? On paper Tesla's Model Y Long Range Dual Motor looks right in the XC40's wheelhouse. It's similarly priced yet offers a longer range—316 miles versus just north of 200 miles—and more luggage capacity. But the narrower and lower Tesla is more than a foot longer overall than the nuggety Volvo and doesn't look as premium, especially inside.

CEO Håkan Samuelsson admits Volvo, which has long positioned itself as one of the more environmentally aware automakers, has taken its time getting an electric vehicle into production. But he says the XC40 Recharge P8 is just the first of five battery electric Volvo models to be launched over the next five years. He claims that by 2025 half the company's entire production—as many as 500,000 vehicles a year—will have pure electric powertrains.

Think of the XC40 Recharge P8 as a first step. And unless you need to do more than 200 miles a day, it's a confident and considered one.
Sponsored

Jolteon

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3
Country flag
I love the looks, but the range is so low for the money. If it was maybe $40k MSRP, 200 miles I could see. But north of $50k? Heck no.

GoGoGadgetMachE

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E 1st Ed., 2022 Lightning Platinum
Occupation
Professional forum cheerleader and fanboy
Country flag
I love the looks, but the range is so low for the money. If it was maybe $40k MSRP, 200 miles I could see. But north of $50k? Heck no.
Swedish-by-way-of-China miles are totally different, don't-cha-know...

FredT

First Name
Fred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2003 Passat Wagon
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
When is this Volvo going to be delivered?
Sometime next spring. Reservation conversions MIGHT start this month. At least we know that they've started building them.

trutolife27

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lincoln mkx , Ford f-150, Mache
Country flag
overpriced for 200 miles of range. really could end up with only around 170 miles of true range. I agree needs to be around 40,000 dollars for such a low range.

FredT

First Name
Fred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2003 Passat Wagon
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
overpriced for 200 miles of range. really could end up with only around 170 miles of true range. I agree needs to be around 40,000 dollars for such a low range.
Well there's more to the cost equation that just dollars. Audi etron costs a lot more than the XC40 for similar range. But ya, I get what you're saying. Volvo really blew it with this one, I think. I've been hoping that they'd be able to get some more range out of it, but based on what Polestar 2 is now projecting and what Volvo is saying in UK, I don't guess that's going to happen.

DaveRuns

Banned
Banned
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
N/A
Country flag
Sometime next spring. Reservation conversions MIGHT start this month. At least we know that they've started building them.
I went on the website to try to order one and there was no option to even buy one. Maybe they’re sold out?

Kamuelaflyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Premium Infinite Blue. ER AWD. 2020 Raptor
Country flag
I looked at the XC40 Recharge when I first started considering a BEV. It was the nicest looking boring BEV I could find IMO. But still boring.

Then I saw the MME. Game, set, match.

OP
OP
dbsb3233

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I love that it's a truer SUV shape, with a taller cargo area and a higher profile. But yeah, that range sucks. They really needed to find a way to put in a 100 kWh battery. Especially for a car that's gonna be $60k-ish anyway.

abr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME FE RR, 2019 Fusion PHEV
Country flag
I love that it's a truer SUV shape, with a taller cargo area and a higher profile. But yeah, that range sucks. They really needed to find a way to put in a 100 kWh battery. Especially for a car that's gonna be $60k-ish anyway.
Unfortunately, they started with an existing ICE vehicle and converted it to a BEV vehicle. Platform doesn't allow enough space for a larger battery to get US required range. Most other specs are pretty nice though.

OP
OP
dbsb3233

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Unfortunately, they started with an existing ICE vehicle and converted it to a BEV vehicle. Platform doesn't allow enough space for a larger battery to get US required range. Most other specs are pretty nice though.
Pretty sure I remember reading that they designed the model from the start to handle all 3 modes (ICE-only, BEV-only, and hybrid), meaning they designed in the battery-in-the-floor space.

But that probably also means compromises had to be made to reserve space for each version (like wasted space if there's no battery pack, or no driveshaft). Still though, with no engine in the front, you'd think they could do something like offering an additional 30 kWh pack up there or something. 200 miles is really gonna limit it's market.

FredT

First Name
Fred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2003 Passat Wagon
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I went on the website to try to order one and there was no option to even buy one. Maybe they’re sold out?
They aren't for sale yet, but you can still reserve one. For the Volvo, that's a one-step process: give them a $1000 deposit and wait, no specifications or anything else. On the other hand, they say the 2021 production run is "sold out", so I don't know what that means.

FredT

First Name
Fred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2003 Passat Wagon
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Pretty sure I remember reading that they designed the model from the start to handle all 3 modes (ICE-only, BEV-only, and hybrid), meaning they designed in the battery-in-the-floor space.

But that probably also means compromises had to be made to reserve space for each version (like wasted space if there's no battery pack, or no driveshaft). Still though, with no engine in the front, you'd think they could do something like offering an additional 30 kWh pack up there or something. 200 miles is really gonna limit it's market.
They did design the platform for all three modes, but the original design called for a smaller battery. I remember at the reveal last October (?) the discussion of needing to put a larger battery in when they realized that people wanted more range. Hence the large hump in the floor in the rear compartment where they added extra battery down the middle. The Polestar 2 has the same very large hump.
Sponsored