Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 AWD Select C&T, 2020 Bolt Premier
Occupation
Software Implementation Manager
Country flag
It's always well known that Tesla perform well below EPA range (5-20%). Are they somehow exploiting the EPA system or being disingenuous? Do we have battery-gate on our hands where the car runs more efficient when it knows it is being tested?
I was trying to have this conversation with a Tesla guy at an EV car show, but he had his blinders on kept saying "I ALWAYS GET THE ADVERTISED TESLA RANGE" And I was like, ok, that just means if you drove my car you would get more than Ford advertises, to which he would respond "I get the Tesla range!!!"
Sponsored

azerik

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Spacey Prem4x, '21 RX450H, 13 Focus EV
Occupation
DevSecOps, General PITA
Country flag
Insideevs did the same test for the 2021 SR Mach E. Your 2023 should be the same/slightly better bc at the time the test was conducted, I believe Ford hadn’t unlocked the remaining 2% usable capacity.
Yeah maybe better because of the lack of chips and removed foot activation thingy they left out of the '23's ;)
kept saying "I ALWAYS GET THE ADVERTISED TESLA RANGE" And I was like, ok, that just means if you drove my car you would get more than Ford advertises, to which he would respond "I get the Tesla range!!!"
giphy.gif

That guy

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Ford Mach e
Country flag
I travel frequently on I5 in my California Route 1 ER. I keep the speed between 70 -80 mph. Ambient temperature this fall - spring ranges from the 40's to 60's and I average 2.7, range is approx 250 miles as my trip is 216 and I usually show around 34 miles when I plug in. Rainy weather will drop it down to 2.5. Not sure why, maybe more resistance?

mkhuffman

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT, Jeep GC-L, VW Jetta
Country flag
Yeah maybe better because of the lack of chips and removed foot activation thingy they left out of the '23's ;)

Ford Mustang Mach-E 2023 Mach-E Premium 70MPH Range Test by InsideEVs giphy

That guy
Chris Farley was awesome. RIP man.

voxel

First Name
Nelson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Mach-E 4X, 23 GC Limited
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
May I ask why you sold the i4?
It's weird to say that the i4 does everything better than the Mach-E: better suspension, lower wind/road nose, more efficient, better handling, better interior, better stereo, more fun to drive, etc

And yet I traded it away lol. At the core, the BMW i4 just lacks passenger and cargo space and my trim didn't have DAPP. Mach-E is just more practical. I'm sure that's why some folks go back to ICE also.

The second reason is I got off-road fever since I attended the Bronco Off-Rodeo in 2022. I've borrowed my friend's Wrangler and 4Runner for extended week long test drives and also took delivery of a low-trim Bronco (which wasn't right for me). The i4 was recently sacrificed for a Sequoia TRD Pro... which was a poor choice in retrospect.

I attended Jeep Beach week in Daytona so I still have the fever. Now I'm waiting for my Bronco or R1S order to arrive.

OP
OP
kindofblue

kindofblue

First Name
Reid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue Mach e Premium 11/5/22, '23 BMW i4 40
Occupation
Psychologist & developer of digital tools for alcohol misuse
Country flag
At the core, the BMW i4 just lacks passenger and cargo space and my trim didn't have DAPP. Mach-E is just more practical.
All valid reasons. And the Mach e has better visibility too.

superdave80

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach E Select SR RWD
Country flag
It's always well known that Tesla perform well below EPA range (5-20%). Are they somehow exploiting the EPA system or being disingenuous? Do we have battery-gate on our hands where the car runs more efficient when it knows it is being tested?
No, because the tests run by the EPA are not the same test run by individuals online. The EPA does not hop in an EV and run it at 70MPH until it hits zero. Different tests are naturally going to give different results.

OP
OP
kindofblue

kindofblue

First Name
Reid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue Mach e Premium 11/5/22, '23 BMW i4 40
Occupation
Psychologist & developer of digital tools for alcohol misuse
Country flag
No, because the tests run by the EPA are not the same test run by individuals online. The EPA does not hop in an EV and run it at 70MPH until it hits zero. Different tests are naturally going to give different results.
And the EPA doesn't actually run the tests themselves. The car companies run them and report the results to EPA.