Rookie

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Prem RWD ER Iced Blue Silver Metallic
Country flag
We have a gas dryer and a "never-used" 30 amp electrical line (Nema 14-30R) in a laundry room next to the garage. The distance between the electrical outlet to the Mach-E port will be about 15 feet (car scheduled for delivery in March).

Does anyone out-there charge their Mach-E using a 30 amp line with the Ford Mobile Charger?

There is a YouTube video showing a EV owner who punched a hole in the common wall, and used an extension cord between his 30 amp dryer outlet and a Tesla charger. He set up the car to accept 24 amps (80% rule) and claims about 21 miles/charge hour.

I would like this setup to be temporary as I plan to get a faster charger and electrical line after the Mach-E is delivered.

Any experience with this setup greatly appreciated.
Sponsored

Tbird

First Name
Denny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E4x 2021 job 1
Country flag
We have a gas dryer and a "never-used" 30 amp electrical line (Nema 14-30R) in a laundry room next to the garage. The distance between the electrical outlet to the Mach-E port will be about 15 feet (car scheduled for delivery in March).

Does anyone out-there charge their Mach-E using a 30 amp line with the Ford Mobile Charger?

There is a YouTube video showing a EV owner who punched a hole in the common wall, and used an extension cord between his 30 amp dryer outlet and a Tesla charger. He set up the car to accept 24 amps (80% rule) and claims about 21 miles/charge hour.

I would like this setup to be temporary as I plan to get a faster charger and electrical line after the Mach-E is delivered.

The Ford charger which comes with the car will not fit the 14-30 outlet, and it will overload the wiring and the 30 amp breaker. At the minimum you will need to upgrade the entire ircuit to a 50 amp circuit to use the included charger. When you upgrade you should consider going ta a 60 amp circuit. That would allow you to use a higher capacity charger in the future.

generaltso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME Premium AWD SR Infinite Blue
Country flag
You can’t use the Ford Mobile Charger with a 30A circuit because there’s no way to set the car to only draw 24A. But you could get a 24A EVSE with a 14-30 plug on it that would work.

ebeponyan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Infinite Blue Mach-E Premium AWD ER
Country flag
As others have said, the short answer is no, or to buy a 24A EVSE for $200-300. As it stands, the Mach-E does not allow you to rate-limit AC charging from the car itself like you would with a Tesla. I'd argue it's still bad form to hook any EVSE up that isn't backed up by proper wiring and breakers though. Software on the car is an insufficient safeguard.

For a temporary solution, have you considered just charging at level 1 on a standard 5-15 outlet? If you're only driving 30-50 miles a day, you could easily get away with it. If you end up needing to fast charge once a week, that will be cheaper than buying a whole extra EVSE.

I say this as an owner of a portable 24A charger that I tote around for charging at my folks' place as well as the occasional campground and BnB. There are benefits to owning one, but it's an investment that you don't necessarily need to make.

RedStallion

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E, et al
Country flag

As far as I remember Tesla cars allow choosing the charging current in the menu. Mach-E doesn't have that, and their mobile charger will always draw 32A from 240V outlet. You need a charger that has adjustable current with 24A setting. I have Grizzl-e that has 16/24/32/40 Amp settings, there are other chargers with that capability.

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
Anyone who punches a hole in an external wall to a garage, and sticks an extension cord through it, is an idiot.

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
I have been using a 24A Clipper Creek charger for 4 years on our Leaf and the Mach E. While ours is hard-wired, they have a plug-in version that probably fits your outlet (check outlet to be sure).

https://store.clippercreek.com/lcs-30p-nema-14-30

mccdeuce

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 VW e-Golf, 2022 MME Cal RT1 IBSM
Country flag

You are better to get either a Pulsar Plus or Grizzl-E where you can change the max current on the EVSE. I have a Pulsar Plus limited to 24AMPS and never worry about it.

mccdeuce

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 VW e-Golf, 2022 MME Cal RT1 IBSM
Country flag
@Rookie Also check the wiring that is run to that plug you may be able to change the plug and breaker if the wiring is of a higher gauge and your panel can handle the load.
Sponsored