6.14 - am I the first to notice CarPlay change?

AliRafiee

First Name
Ali
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach E GT - Grabber Blue
Occupation
Software Eng.
Country flag
Rounded corners are an Apple thing. If they ever change, it’s because Apple change them.

I’d bet noticeable money that the image the iPhone sends to the car to be displayed has them baked it and Ford’s software has no involvement at all.
Yes. The rendering is done in the Apple engine.
Sponsored

67 Stang Convertible

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1967 Mustang, 2013 Kia Optima, 2018 Kia Sportage
Occupation
Physician
Country flag
My God, what is wrong with my life that I just read this entire thread about rounded corners.......At least there was a "This is the way" reference. So, it was not a total loss!!!

OP
OP
Mirak

Mirak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
"Sonic" 2021 MME Grabber Blue First Edition
Country flag
Rounded corners are an Apple thing. If they ever change, it’s because Apple change them.

I’d bet noticeable money that the image the iPhone sends to the car to be displayed has them baked it and Ford’s software has no involvement at all.
I think you’re right. It really must have been a momentary glitch with CP where the corner rounding images (I assume Apple is using tiny little image files to make the corners look rounded) failed to load.

Dunno if that just happened to coincide with the 6.14 update, or if tue update triggered the error in some way.

I guess there’s still an outside chance that there is a setting that can make those rounded corners invisible, but I haven’t found that yet. The trick of making your CP background black would only make the corner rounding invisible against apps that are also black. That’s not Apple maps, Spotify, etc.

OP
OP
Mirak

Mirak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Behold the square corners in Apple CarPlay on Mach E.

Ford Mustang Mach-E 6.14 - am I the first to notice CarPlay change? IMG_0679
I’m curious how accomplished that. I have my CarPlay wallpaper set to all black, and mine looks like this…

Ford Mustang Mach-E 6.14 - am I the first to notice CarPlay change? IMG_4775

Ford Mustang Mach-E 6.14 - am I the first to notice CarPlay change? IMG_4776

Even the all black wallpaper leaves a rounded corner in dark grey.

redgrandam

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Mach E Select
Country flag
I’m curious how accomplished that. I have my CarPlay wallpaper set to all black, and mine looks like this…

Even the all black wallpaper leaves a rounded corner in dark grey.
Hmm. Not sure then. The black background seems to be very black. Not even a dark grey. Just dark black.

I doubt it is different Sync software. And I don’t know if this is supposed to be this way or a bug in IOS. I only switched to this background yesterday to test. I’m on the latest iOS on an iPhone 15 pro max.

Will have to see if future updates change this behaviour. It seems odd that Apple would set it up this way intentionally.

back_at_it_19

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Job 1 GB FE and '22 Red Prem4x
Country flag
Wait a minute. What the heck is going on here. I switched over to settings and then back to CP and the rounded corners are back. And I didn’t think to take a picture. Anyone? I SWEAR the rounded corners were gone in Apple Maps and it looked much better.
Just more pics to prove you’re right! Same for light background (no pic) but now back to rounded on all backgrounds.

Ford Mustang Mach-E 6.14 - am I the first to notice CarPlay change? IMG_6901
Ford Mustang Mach-E 6.14 - am I the first to notice CarPlay change? IMG_6902

OP
OP
Mirak

Mirak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Just more pics to prove you’re right! Same for light background (no pic) but now back to rounded on all backgrounds.

IMG_6901.jpeg
IMG_6902.jpeg
Wait so same thing happened for you? That’s exactly what I saw. it’s such a tiny thing but it really does look a lot cleaner.

tboo72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach E GT
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Country flag
I’m pretty disappointed with the car play layout compared to android auto.
Why can’t I have the map window be 95% of the screen with a bar at the bottom for music info. Car play has way too much dedicated space to useless/static info. Feel like apple isn’t really trying here.
This. AA make much better use of the available screen real estate vs Carplay.

Lord Polymath

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Sienna, '22 Mach-E Premium ER AWD (PWRPONY)
Occupation
Computer nerd
Country flag
Why the weeping and gnashing of teeth over rounded corners, lol. I want better functionality, rounded corners or not. I keep getting a bug where I have no audio. I think it's a carplay bug, restarting sync fixes it. Anyway, carry on

OP
OP
Mirak

Mirak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Why the weeping and gnashing of teeth over rounded corners, lol. I want better functionality, rounded corners or not. I keep getting a bug where I have no audio. I think it's a carplay bug, restarting sync fixes it. Anyway, carry on
Walk. Chew gum. Same time.

Agree there are bigger problems. Just a little thing I noticed. And was improved for one tantalizing moment after 6.14.
Sponsored