Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E ER AWD
Occupation
Nurse
Country flag
I wanted to do a little testing on how speed effects efficiency in my AWD ER MME. I had a 260 miles drive today. All highway. The temperature was a constant 50 degrees +/- 2 degrees. There was no great elevation change along the route. Some up slope but with an equal amount of downslope within the same areas.

I drove the first 100 miles at 72 MPH resulting in 2.7 miles/kwh.
The second 80 miles I drove at 65 MPH resulting in 3.1 miles/kwh.
The last 80 miles I drove at 69 MPH resulting in 2.8 miles/kwh.

It’s not enough data points to plot an entire curve, nor were all other variables controlled for. But it does highlight how speed kills one’s range.

If I drive 72 MPH, my range will only be 237 miles. I can make the 260 mile drive in 3 hours and 36 minutes but I have to factor in stopping to add the 9 kwh I come up short. I could do that in less than 10 minutes at a fast charger, plus on/off highway times. Call it 16 minutes. Total time 3 hours and 52 minutes.

If I drive 65, my range will be 271. So I gain 34 miles of range by slowing down. I can make the entire 260 miles in 4 hours without charging.

If I go faster, I will get to my destination faster, but only by 8 minutes AND I’ve now had to buy 9Kwh at $0.47/kwh. So I will have spent $4.23 to save 8 minutes.

All in all, I guess it comes down to personal preference. Go faster, burn more fuel (even if your fuel is measured in Kwh) stop more, still get there in about the same amount of time. YMMV ?
Sponsored

BMT1071

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 MME SR RWD, 23 MME GTPE
Occupation
Regional Service Manager
Country flag
Great info. Thanks for running the test.

SnBGC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E FE, 2021 Wrangler 4xe High Altitude
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
I will be making a 250 mile round trip on Wednesday. Speed limit is 75 mph. I wonder how that is going to impact my range? I will post results after the trip. I see a DCFC in my future....

OP
OP
Murse-In-Airy

Murse-In-Airy

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E ER AWD
Occupation
Nurse
Country flag
I will be making a 250 mile round trip on Wednesday. Speed limit is 75 mph. I wonder how that is going to impact my range? I will post results after the trip. I see a DCFC in my future....
If it’s warm enough, and you’re brave enough, I think you’ve got a shot. Go for it.

stlippert

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E Red AWD ER
Country flag
Were you running the heater? That is a big energy suck. Also, it seems the safer plan is to drive slower, as your assumption for stopping to recharge seems optimistic. IMHO over four hours if you stop to charge.

OP
OP
Murse-In-Airy

Murse-In-Airy

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E ER AWD
Occupation
Nurse
Country flag
Were you running the heater? That is a big energy suck. Also, it seems the safer plan is to drive slower, as your assumption for stopping to recharge seems optimistic. IMHO over four hours if you stop to charge.
Everyone’s charge stops will vary. If I only needed to add 9KW, I’m pretty sure I could get it done in 16 minutes.

I was running the heat at 69° The whole time, so it was a constant for seeing how the range changed based on speed. I wasn’t going for hard range numbers, just to see how much the range changed based on speed.

SnBGC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
If it’s warm enough, and you’re brave enough, I think you’ve got a shot. Go for it.
Phoenix-Tucson-Phoenix. It will be warm enough. :)
I know I can make it on a single charge just by driving a bit slower. But....I think I want to know what my actual mi/kWh is at 75 mph since that is really the worst case scenario that I will encounter. At that speed.....I don't think I will be able to make trip without charging somewhere. There are 5 possible locations on my route to DCFC. The first and last points are very close to my origin/destination and only have one plug. The other 3 are EA stations with multiple plugs so I should be fine.

Looking forward to it a little bit. I have 3900 miles on the car and have yet to DCFC. ? It's about time I figure this out. :)

OP
OP
Murse-In-Airy

Murse-In-Airy

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E ER AWD
Occupation
Nurse
Country flag
Phoenix-Tucson-Phoenix. It will be warm enough. :)
I know I can make it on a single charge just by driving a bit slower. But....I think I want to know what my actual mi/kWh is at 75 mph since that is really the worst case scenario that I will encounter. At that speed.....I don't think I will be able to make trip without charging somewhere. There are 5 possible locations on my route to DCFC. The first and last points are very close to my origin/destination and only have one plug. The other 3 are EA stations with multiple plugs so I should be fine.

Looking forward to it a little bit. I have 3900 miles on the car and have yet to DCFC. ? It's about time I figure this out. :)
I’m trying to learn something each time I go for a drive. Before long it will be second nature. So I certainly respect you wanting to see how low you can go. Enjoy your drive.

stmache

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford Mustang Mach-e GTP, 2017 Ford Mustang EB
Occupation
IT Manager, Photographer
Country flag
I wanted to do a little testing on how speed effects efficiency in my AWD ER MME. I had a 260 miles drive today. All highway. The temperature was a constant 50 degrees +/- 2 degrees. There was no great elevation change along the route. Some up slope but with an equal amount of downslope within the same areas.
Sounds like Route 81. ?

OP
OP
Murse-In-Airy

Murse-In-Airy

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E ER AWD
Occupation
Nurse
Country flag

SnBGC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
I ended up driving 233.2 miles round trip. First Edition (AWD Extended range battery)
Elevation increase of 1325 ft from Phoenix to Tucson so it was uphill going there and downhill coming back. Started out with 100% S.O.C. and parked with 8%
Almost all freeway.....maybe 3 miles of surface streets max.
65 mph in metro Phoenix and Tucson and 75 mph in between.
Trip 1 screen reported 3.3 mi/kWh but it lies. Actual is 2.9 mi/kWh for this trip.
Ambient temp was 75 degrees when I departed and 91 degrees when I arrived back.
Looks like 255 miles is maximum range for my vehicle under these conditions.
Works for me. I didn't have to DCFC so it was a good day. :)

Ford Mustang Mach-E A couple data points on miles/kwh 1618443448946

Ford Mustang Mach-E A couple data points on miles/kwh 1618443646250

Ford Mustang Mach-E A couple data points on miles/kwh 1618443714686

OP
OP
Murse-In-Airy

Murse-In-Airy

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E ER AWD
Occupation
Nurse
Country flag
I ended up driving 233.2 miles round trip. First Edition (AWD Extended range battery)
Elevation increase of 1325 ft from Phoenix to Tucson so it was uphill going there and downhill coming back. Started out with 100% S.O.C. and parked with 8%
Almost all freeway.....maybe 3 miles of surface streets max.
65 mph in metro Phoenix and Tucson and 75 mph in between.
Trip 1 screen reported 3.3 mi/kWh but it lies. Actual is 2.9 mi/kWh for this trip.
Ambient temp was 75 degrees when I departed and 91 degrees when I arrived back.
Looks like 255 miles is maximum range for my vehicle under these conditions.
Works for me. I didn't have to DCFC so it was a good day. :)

110 miles (each way) of 75 MPH driving will drop your miles/kWh. You proved that pretty well. But 2.9 is pretty good for that speed. Looks like a good day to me.
Thank You for reporting back.

SnBGC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
110 miles (each way) of 75 MPH driving will drop your miles/kWh. You proved that pretty well. But 2.9 is pretty good for that speed. Looks like a good day to me.
Thank You for reporting back.
It was 122.3 miles out and about 111 coming back because I decided to stop at my office for a couple hours. Even though the speed limit is 65 mph in town.....I drive about 70 mph and that is what I did today. In between cities, I set the ACC at 75 mph and let it pretty much drive itself nearly the entire way. I was hoping for 250 miles or better for a trip like that so it hits my target. According to the range estimation....I could have made it home from the office but I have L2 at work so I plugged it in for those few hours.

I am glad I didn't have to stop for a splash and go. :)

Ma9573

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Current: Mach E CA Rte1
Occupation
Sales
Country flag
I'm a sucker for road trip and miles per kilowatt hour stories lol
Sponsored