Graction

First Name
Gil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rapid Red Mach-e GT
Country flag
I’m going to add this as an option for the widget at the top, so you can choose what you want to display there: regen/power, energy consumption stats, player, maybe something else
+1 for showing the efficiency, mi/kwh. I'm always checking it - probably too much - so would be great to have it on the center console.
Sponsored

Fons

First Name
Fons
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E X | RWD | Iconic Silver
Country flag
Although I absolutely adore every inch of my MachE GTPE, I can't help but be irked by the existing instrument cluster design. As a product designer, I couldn't resist taking a crack at redesigning the panel that is always in my sight but…, well, could use some improvement.

1-Engage.gif
2-Unbridled.png
3-Whisper.png
4-Hands-Free.png

What I think is wrong with the current design?

• Information architecture and hierarchy: The most crucial information should be more prominent, but instead, I find a large toy car in square brackets pushing the blue box. Is the fact that the distance to the car ahead is okay really the most important info?
  • Inconsistency across driving modes: Switching to Unbridled mode reshuffles everything on the screen. It lacks continuity.
  • Empty space issue: I like a clean design, but the panel seems empty most of the time. There must be a way to organize vital information so it's accessible without distracting the driver.
  • Random sizes and alignment: Everything appears misaligned, and the randomness in sizes lacks cohesion.
  • Aesthetics: This is very subjective, but to me, the design feels outdated like someone unearthed a vintage CD titled "3D Icons set for Photoshop 3.0" from their dad's attic.
Things I considered while redesigning:

• Easy implementation: I aimed for something easily implemented without heavy engineering work. For example, allowing the driver to customize the leftmost area (e.g., someone would prefer seeing display battery consumption analysis instead of the player widget) seemed sensible.
  • Consistency in element placement: Not all widgets are always visible, so it can be tempting to move them around to fill empty spaces. However, I kept the elements in their original places to make them easier to find.
I'd love to hear your thoughts, feedback, or your own gripes on the current design.

P.S. This is my first post here, so please bear with me if this kind of post isn’t welcomed here.

Drive safe!
I like every single one of them better than what we have. Please have a stab at the center screen too.

Alan

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E First Edition
Occupation
Retired engineer
Country flag
As has already mentioned, but I think worth repeating, a power/regen gauge would be useful, and brake light activation indicator would be greatly appreciated. The power/regen is especially nice when on cruise and you can't otherwise tell if you are on an incline or decline, such as when driving in hilly or mountainous areas when it is often nearly impossible due to misleading visual cues.

OP
OP
ihor

ihor

First Name
Ihor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach E GTPE
Country flag
As has already mentioned, but I think worth repeating, a power/regen gauge would be useful, and brake light activation indicator would be greatly appreciated. The power/regen is especially nice when on cruise and you can't otherwise tell if you are on an incline or decline, such as when driving in hilly or mountainous areas when it is often nearly impossible due to misleading visual cues.
Noted! I’ll definitely include a power/regen gauge as an option in the form of a customizable widget.
Regarding the brake light indicator, could you explain why you'd like it on the instrument cluster? I'm not aware of any cars that have this feature.

eleven24

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 MME GT
Country flag
Thank you so much to everyone who shared feedback! Your insights have been incredibly valuable, and I've taken them all to heart.
I wish I could've responded to each comment, but my day job keeps me pretty tied up. It's what funds my pet projects like this one, after all. But rest assured, I've absorbed every piece of feedback.
Here's what I've gathered from your thoughts:
  • The Panel Clutter: It's clear that the panel was too busy. This needs a fix.
  • Desire for Additional Information: Despite the clutter, some of you wanted extra info that's helpful but not essential for driving.
  • Emphasis on Important Details: Info like speed, range, and situational awareness needs more prominence.
  • Speed Gauge in the Center: A popular request, and I'm taking note.
  • Avoiding Corner Placement: Important information shouldn't be hidden by the steering wheel. Good call.
With this feedback, I'm going back to the drawing board:
  • Strong Visual Anchors: By placing the most important info in the center, left, and right, I'll create clear visual guides. Secondary info will fill the gaps as needed.
  • More Flexible Layout: I'm going to allow some flexibility to avoid empty spaces for elements that aren't always there, like navigation.
  • Optional Secondary Info: Secondary information should be optional and shouldn’t distract you from important things. Choose for yourself what you want to see, if anything!
Please take a look at this diagram.
ia-mache.gif

I believe these adjustments will make the instrument cluster more functional. Your opinions are very helpful, so please keep sharing your thoughts on these updates.
Kind of skipped past pages 2-6 here, but for me the estimated range is less important than the actual SOC%. Tesla offers an option to display either one. Similarly, when navigating the projected battery SOC% at destination is a necessity. Why Ford makes you hunt for this is beyond me.

thekat03

First Name
Kat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Mustang Mach-E CR-1, 2022 Volvo C40
Occupation
Physician
Country flag
I love these! Can you throw in a brake light indicator at the lower left? It would come on when the brake lights were activated, either by OPD or the brake pedal itself.
The Subaru Crosstrek has a car on the center of the dash, just like the Mach-E. However, when you hit the brakes, the brakes on the picture of the car light up. It is a great location for such an indicator.

fcubi

First Name
Paco
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Mustang Mach e SR Job2
Country flag
Although I absolutely adore every inch of my MachE GTPE, I can't help but be irked by the existing instrument cluster design. As a product designer, I couldn't resist taking a crack at redesigning the panel that is always in my sight but…, well, could use some improvement.

1-Engage.gif
2-Unbridled.png
3-Whisper.png
4-Hands-Free.png

What I think is wrong with the current design?

• Information architecture and hierarchy: The most crucial information should be more prominent, but instead, I find a large toy car in square brackets pushing the blue box. Is the fact that the distance to the car ahead is okay really the most important info?
  • Inconsistency across driving modes: Switching to Unbridled mode reshuffles everything on the screen. It lacks continuity.
  • Empty space issue: I like a clean design, but the panel seems empty most of the time. There must be a way to organize vital information so it's accessible without distracting the driver.
  • Random sizes and alignment: Everything appears misaligned, and the randomness in sizes lacks cohesion.
  • Aesthetics: This is very subjective, but to me, the design feels outdated like someone unearthed a vintage CD titled "3D Icons set for Photoshop 3.0" from their dad's attic.
Things I considered while redesigning:

• Easy implementation: I aimed for something easily implemented without heavy engineering work. For example, allowing the driver to customize the leftmost area (e.g., someone would prefer seeing display battery consumption analysis instead of the player widget) seemed sensible.
  • Consistency in element placement: Not all widgets are always visible, so it can be tempting to move them around to fill empty spaces. However, I kept the elements in their original places to make them easier to find.
I'd love to hear your thoughts, feedback, or your own gripes on the current design.

P.S. This is my first post here, so please bear with me if this kind of post isn’t welcomed here.

Drive safe!
Neat design. Great explanation. Ford should hire you for the task!

T.S.

First Name
Sue
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E
Occupation
Retired
Country flag

T.S.

First Name
Sue
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I also would love something that shows my battery consumption in real time, especially when I'll be coming in on "fumes," which has only happened once, but it would have been nice to know how much of a difference driving at 65 mph vs 85 mph with the a/c on or off as I was driving through the mountains vs on a flat road made so that I could make any adjustments I could, as necessary.

ProfZoom

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Ford Mustang Mach-E
Country flag
Yes Ford Please the current Driver dash in uncertain terms "SUCKS" our Hyundai has a better dash then my Mach-E and I think Ford can "Do Better" there is so much data they can place on this that is not on the giant tablet screen and should be available to the driver.

AliRafiee

First Name
Ali
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach E GT - Grabber Blue
Occupation
Software Eng.
Country flag
I also would love something that shows my battery consumption in real time, especially when I'll be coming in on "fumes," which has only happened once, but it would have been nice to know how much of a difference driving at 65 mph vs 85 mph with the a/c on or off as I was driving through the mountains vs on a flat road made so that I could make any adjustments I could, as necessary.
I would also love to have a SOH indicator somewhere in the car. (Settings perhaps)
My LEAF had it, it’s a great way to know how much battery capacity is lost over time.
The LEAF lost around 15% in 10 years and 90K miles. 😁

Alan

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E First Edition
Occupation
Retired engineer
Country flag
Regarding the brake light indicator, could you explain why you'd like it on the instrument cluster? I'm not aware of any cars that have this feature.
All ICE (non-hybrids) have brake lights that are exactly synced with the brake pedal. The driver always knows when the brakes are being used and when the brake lights are on. With EVs (and most hybrids that have one-pedal driving), the brake lights turn on as either 1) the brake pedal is pressed, or 2) a preset rate of deceleration is reached, or for some EVs 3) when the car is holding a stopped position with no pedal being used, as with hill-hold functionality. Option 2 is where a driver may not know when the brake light goes on/off.

There are times when a driver should be aware of whether their brake lights are on to know what they are telling vehicles behind them or starting to pass in order to have better appreciation for what other drivers might do, and stepping on the brake pedal to make sure might be the wrong thing to do.

There is an outline of the car in the current dash display with dim tail lights always showing. Just making those images distinctly brighter or larger or some such to sync with the actual brake lights would solve this issue.

JohnFoxeSheets

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Website
johnfoxesheets.com
Vehicles
2022 Iced Blue Silver Mach E GT
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Country flag
All ICE (non-hybrids) have brake lights that are exactly synced with the brake pedal. The driver always knows when the brakes are being used and when the brake lights are on. With EVs (and most hybrids that have one-pedal driving), the brake lights turn on as either 1) the brake pedal is pressed, or 2) a preset rate of deceleration is reached, or for some EVs 3) when the car is holding a stopped position with no pedal being used, as with hill-hold functionality. Option 2 is where a driver may not know when the brake light goes on/off.

There are times when a driver should be aware of whether their brake lights are on to know what they are telling vehicles behind them or starting to pass in order to have better appreciation for what other drivers might do, and stepping on the brake pedal to make sure might be the wrong thing to do.

There is an outline of the car in the current dash display with dim tail lights always showing. Just making those images distinctly brighter or larger or some such to sync with the actual brake lights would solve this issue.
I agree with all of this

dtbaker61

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.envirokarma.org
Vehicles
MME (delivered 2/26/21), DIY eMiata BEV
Occupation
Solar Sales/install
Country flag
easy to do, right now, with ODB2 and CarScanner displayed on phone.

Ford Mustang Mach-E A fresh take on the Mustang MachE instrument cluster dashboard_4 power-chg temps-lv DC curr-kwhr

Ford Mustang Mach-E A fresh take on the Mustang MachE instrument cluster 12 displaying CarScanner dashboard

OP
OP
ihor

ihor

First Name
Ihor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach E GTPE
Country flag
Option 2 is where a driver may not know when the brake light goes on/off.
Got it, thanks for the detailed explanation, it all makes sense to me now! I don’t use one-pedal mode, so it’s insightful.
Sponsored