A Mach E Back in Our Garage (LFP version)

BadgerGreg

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Mach E Premium RWD SR and 2022 BMW i4 M50
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
Picked up a 2023.5 Mach E Premium RWD SR (LFP Battery) at the dealership today. This is my wife's car, replacing her older Explorer. We're now a two-EV family (BMW i4 + Mach E), although the Explorer stays on as a hauler of large items and as a car for the kids to learn on and use.

She absolutely loves the car, and as I followed her back home from the dealership, I was impressed that she squealed the rear tires on a few turns.

It's been 1.5 years since we've had a Mach E in the garage, and I'm looking forward to using this version. The new aero wheels are ok, but I prefer the alloy wheels from the 2021 and 2022 Premium trims. Interesting new frunk design, fortunately without the useless divider, and two sets of drain holes instead of the single drain hole in the center.

Going to try out BlueCruise 1.3 this weekend and perhaps give this a proper range test.

Ford Mustang Mach-E A Mach E Back in Our Garage (LFP version) IMG_2367

Ford Mustang Mach-E A Mach E Back in Our Garage (LFP version) IMG_2361

Ford Mustang Mach-E A Mach E Back in Our Garage (LFP version) IMG_2360

Ford Mustang Mach-E A Mach E Back in Our Garage (LFP version) IMG_2358

Last edited:

hawkeye3point1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Space White ER RWD, Born on 12 Aug. '21
Country flag
Saw those wheels on a MME I was charging near today. They caught my eye as had not seem them previously. Kinda of liking them, they have an understated elegance.

Good luck with the new ride!

MarkP213

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E 4X Premium, Infinite Blue
Country flag
Picked up a 2023.5 Mach E Premium RWD SR (LFP Battery) at the dealership today. This is my wife's car, replacing her older Explorer. We're now a two-EV family (BMW i4 + Mach E), although the Explorer stays on as a hauler of large items and as a car for the kids to learn on and use.

She absolutely loves the car, and as I followed her back home from the dealership, I was impressed that she squealed the rear tires on a few turns.

It's been 1.5 years since we've had a Mach E in the garage, and I'm looking forward to using this version. The new aero wheels are ok, but I prefer the alloy wheels from the 2021 and 2022 Premium trims. Interesting new frunk design, fortunately without the useless divider, and two sets of drain holes instead of the single drain hole in the center.

Going to try out BlueCruise 1.3 this weekend and perhaps give this a proper range test.

What are the two slots for at the back top of the frunk?

AngryMan

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
OLD 2021 Select , NEW 2023 GT...RED !
Occupation
Living the good life
Country flag
Saw those wheels on a MME I was charging near today. They caught my eye as had not seem them previously. Kinda of liking them, they have an understated elegance.

Good luck with the new ride!
I believe those rims were relegated to the Selects at first . My 21 Select has em . With the new battery tech could these be the most aerodynamic for those cars or are they a standard range necessity ? Squeezing out every available mile !?

SWO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach E GT, 2021 Escape PHEV, 2019 F-150
Country flag
I believe those rims were relegated to the Selects at first . My 21 Select has em . With the new battery tech could these be the most aerodynamic for those cars or are they a standard range necessity ? Squeezing out every available mile !?
Right. They used to be the optional rims on the Select. For 23 they made them the standard wheels on the Premium. I agree that they probably did it to keep the LFP range on par with the previous version.

MacherAWD

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 AWD Select C&T, 2020 Bolt Premier
Occupation
Software Implementation Manager
Country flag
Right. They used to be the optional rims on the Select. For 23 they made them the standard wheels on the Premium. I agree that they probably did it to keep the LFP range on par with the previous version.
Are they just caps? I would love to see an aero cap I could tap on before a road trip. So use my normal select wheels all the time, then snap on some aero covers before a road trip to boost range 5-10%

AngryMan

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
OLD 2021 Select , NEW 2023 GT...RED !
Occupation
Living the good life
Country flag
Are they just caps? I would love to see an aero cap I could tap on before a road trip. So use my normal select wheels all the time, then snap on some aero covers before a road trip to boost range 5-10%
The black part is a plastic piece held on by the lugs and they kinda clip in to the rims

LincolnLuvr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
currently car-less, but hope to get a MME!
Country flag
Beautiful! How is the suspension? Does it give rear passengers motion sickness?

Fins160

First Name
JP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 MachE Select C/T Dark Matter Gray
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
They were actually an upgrade item on the 21-22 selects. 19 inch aero. I have them too. I actually really like the look of them in person.

SWO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach E GT, 2021 Escape PHEV, 2019 F-150
Country flag
All the Ford aero covers are held on by the lugs.

MellowJohnny

First Name
Christian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium AWD
Occupation
Solution Architect
Country flag
Are those are the new Premium wheels, new for MY23? Or did they move them over to the Premium builds for '23?

voxel

First Name
Nelson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Mach-E 4X, 23 GC Limited
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
Would be curious about LFP charging curve and how Ford deals with the unusual LFP voltage curve. Tesla recommends charging to 100% once a week to calibrate the BMS.

For my use case I would probably preferred a ER LFP version of the Mach-E. This isn't a sports car lol.

OP
OP
BadgerGreg

BadgerGreg

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Mach E Premium RWD SR and 2022 BMW i4 M50
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
Would be curious about LFP charging curve and how Ford deals with the unusual LFP voltage curve. Tesla recommends charging to 100% once a week to calibrate the BMS.

For my use case I would probably preferred a ER LFP version of the Mach-E. This isn't a sports car lol.
I'll test it out this weekend...planning on putting some miles on it. From what I've read, the peak charging rate is similar to the ER battery (150+ kW). Not sure about the curve though...

Given that the LFP battery is heavier (more weight per kWh) than the non-LFP Mach E batteries, a 90+ kWh pack would probably make the car a bit too heavy, not to mention that it might take up more space than the current 91 kWh pack.
Sponsored