ABRP+TRONITY+MachE?

swemme

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Mustang Mach-e
Country flag
I'm trying to connect my MachE to the ABRP+TRONITY combo but the MachE are not supported by default in ABRP. Anyone got it working with the manual config?

I like the way TRONITY get the car info by API and not via ODB or other hardware so to get that info in ABRP would be great. The down side is that a subscription is needed (using the 14 days trial at the moment).

Link to the TRONITY announcement: http://xg5jn.mjt.lu/nl2/xg5jn/056v.html
ABRP: https://abetterrouteplanner.com
TRONITY sign up: https://app.tronity.io/signup/_qXDeoxa5
TRONITY Platform: https://app.platform.tronity.io (use same login here as for TRONITY main page)
Sponsored

Jiji

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mustang Mach-E GT 2023 Rivian R1S
Country flag
I upgraded ABRP to the Premium service and was able to integrate TRONITY into it. You need to setup TRONITY with your Mach-E and then in the ABRP Settings, Car Model, select your Mach-E and you should see an option to add TRONITY as a data source.

The ABRP app doesn’t update to show a live link after the setup so back out of the settings and then return to see if it worked.

Just did this today so haven’t had a chance to test out ABRP with the TRONITY integration.

B95E3D7C-9431-4EF1-BA4C-D16CDB88C99B.jpeg

OWG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME Premium Extended Range AWD
Country flag
I upgraded ABRP to the Premium service and was able to integrate TRONITY into it. You need to setup TRONITY with your Mach-E and then in the ABRP Settings, Car Model, select your Mach-E and you should see an option to add TRONITY as a data source.

The ABRP app doesn’t update to show a live link after the setup so back out of the settings and then return to see if it worked.

Just did this today so haven’t had a chance to test out ABRP with the TRONITY integration.

Ford Mustang Mach-E ABRP+TRONITY+MachE? B95E3D7C-9431-4EF1-BA4C-D16CDB88C99B
So, what are your thoughts on Tronity after three months?

Jiji

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
So, what are your thoughts on Tronity after three months?
I didn’t sign up, they have no access to the detailed data needed to make it interesting,

I ended up taking this on as a winter project using a Raspberry Pi to serve up the data, just need to get my VPN up and running so I can connect to the car without it being on my home WiFi. I’ll be posting about soon as I figure out the canbus and database stuff.

Reactions: OWG

benk016

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag
Just an FYI, you can use Torque to provide the data into ABRP using an OBD Reader. You can get an API key from ABRP, and then in torque, set it to report the data to ABRP instead of Torque's web logger.

ABRP is currently working on integrating OBD reading directly into the app through bluetooth. More to come on this once its closer to going live.

Also, Tronity won't give you live data on a trip. the car does not report data through the cellular connection while the car is running. It would help getting you the current SoC before a trip though.

Reactions: OWG

Av8tor

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Fusion Hybrid, MME GTPE
Occupation
Systems Engineer IOT
Country flag
So, this thread is about getting realtime data from the car to ABRP? Because there is no public Ford Cloud API? So, the work around is OBD reader to phone App, to ABRP?

Does anyone know if Ford is planning a public API?

@Jiji has a side science project of a raspberry pie that connects how to the car?

benk016

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag
So, this thread is about getting realtime data from the car to ABRP? Because there is no public Ford Cloud API? So, the work around is OBD reader to phone App, to ABRP?

Does anyone know if Ford is planning a public API?

@Jiji has a side science project of a raspberry pie that connects how to the car?
The public API is there, That is how tronity gets the data. The issue is, when the car is running, it doesn't update the cloud with any data. So Data would stop while you're driving.

ABRP is implementing the bluetooth OBD reading to the app for many cars for live data. Mach E should be one that is available when the feature goes live. When you have live data, it will log the entire trip with all your stats, including charging stops. It will also adjust your route calculations based on live consumption data, and live SoC %.

Jiji

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
The sad fact is all of these solutions are kludgy workarounds to the lack of the car providing the data via an API. Prior to my MME, I had a Tesla M3 and very much enjoyed TeslaFi for the princely sum of $5/month. TeslaFi logged everything about trips/charging that you might need and did so without any additional hardware or apps (I highly recommend it if you ever get a Tesla).

So I decided to make my own and learn some useful skills. Today I implemented the last piece of the puzzle, a VPN so I can now connect to the car remotely to download code or setup a REST API to serve up data (just like a Tesla).

So everything is in place to start writing some code. Look for a future thread with the technical details if you care to follow along my utterly useless adventure.

benk016

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag
Another note, if you go the Tronity route. It doesn't appear that Tronity requests a refresh of the data from the car, its just scraping the data from FordPass. So the data doesn't update on Tronity until I open fordpass, and preform an action that would update the status like lock a door. The new values suddenly show up in fordpass, and tronity.

benk016

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag
The sad fact is all of these solutions are kludgy workarounds to the lack of the car providing the data via an API. Prior to my MME, I had a Tesla M3 and very much enjoyed TeslaFi for the princely sum of $5/month. TeslaFi logged everything about trips/charging that you might need and did so without any additional hardware or apps (I highly recommend it if you ever get a Tesla).

So I decided to make my own and learn some useful skills. Today I implemented the last piece of the puzzle, a VPN so I can now connect to the car remotely to download code or setup a REST API to serve up data (just like a Tesla).

So everything is in place to start writing some code. Look for a future thread with the technical details if you care to follow along my utterly useless adventure.
Are you going to have some hardware in the car collecting the data?

Jiji

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Are you going to have some hardware in the car collecting the data?
Yes, no way around it unless you have software running on the inside that can grab data and send it off using the Ford LTE data connection. This would be a great project for a Ford intern, copy the Tesla API and there would quickly be a FordFi solution that I would be sign up for. I would even send Ford $10/month for the 'premium connectivity' option for the use of their data connection.

So until Ford does something the best you can do is get data from the OBDII connector and send it somewhere. But I am betting it will never happen since this is not in Ford's DNA.

Since Torque doesn't run on my phone/tablet I have no ability use it so I have a Raspberry Pi running Ubuntu Server with access to the HSCAN and MSCAN buses. The so called 'Gateway Module' isn't really a gateway, some modules respond on the HSCAN bus and others respond on the MSCAN bus and requests for a module on the other bus gets no response from the Gateway Module.

It would be great if ABRP could send AT commands (no way, Hayes 1200 baud modem stuff) over Bluetooth to an OBDII dongle from the phone app but I don't think it scales very well over models and makes. Unless the OBDII guys get together and extend the AT command set for the common values that ABRP needs and hide the details in the OBDII software.

The other problem with the ABRP solution is that there is so much more to explore. I want to see the charging details, the power distribution, etc and my fun project will let me gather as much data as I want for my personal entertainment.

benk016

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag
Yes, no way around it unless you have software running on the inside that can grab data and send it off using the Ford LTE data connection. This would be a great project for a Ford intern, copy the Tesla API and there would quickly be a FordFi solution that I would be sign up for. I would even send Ford $10/month for the 'premium connectivity' option for the use of their data connection.

So until Ford does something the best you can do is get data from the OBDII connector and send it somewhere. But I am betting it will never happen since this is not in Ford's DNA.

Since Torque doesn't run on my phone/tablet I have no ability use it so I have a Raspberry Pi running Ubuntu Server with access to the HSCAN and MSCAN buses. The so called 'Gateway Module' isn't really a gateway, some modules respond on the HSCAN bus and others respond on the MSCAN bus and requests for a module on the other bus gets no response from the Gateway Module.

It would be great if ABRP could send AT commands (no way, Hayes 1200 baud modem stuff) over Bluetooth to an OBDII dongle from the phone app but I don't think it scales very well over models and makes. Unless the OBDII guys get together and extend the AT command set for the common values that ABRP needs and hide the details in the OBDII software.

The other problem with the ABRP solution is that there is so much more to explore. I want to see the charging details, the power distribution, etc and my fun project will let me gather as much data as I want for my personal entertainment.
They are working on a solution where ABRP app will interface directly with OBDII. It will have profiles for cars to get the correct data. Not sure when it will be released. They are still programming it. But they have all the info from the MachE to include it.

Cavi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
bmw x1
Country flag
anyone have an update on this? I have a iphone and would rather not pay a subscription to another app as I already have the premium abrp. Also what obd reader should I use? My main interest is to have current SOC

locks66

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E GT
Country flag
anyone have an update on this? I have a iphone and would rather not pay a subscription to another app as I already have the premium abrp. Also what obd reader should I use? My main interest is to have current SOC
They just pushed and odb update to abrp.
Sponsored