AdrianPaul

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach E, Premium, AWD Extended Range
Country flag
Just wondering if anyone else has had a similar issue to this. I noticed yesterday that the OTA update had (at least partially) been installed in my MME, Premium, AWD, Extended range. I know this since I saw the notes app and Apple navigation directions being shown on the front display.
So today at lunch, as I often do, I took it through a car wash; the kind that you put the car in neutral and you get nudged along to the end. Once at the end, I gently pressed the accelerator as I put the car back into "D" as I have done many times. I typically use one pedal driving, and run in engaged mode. Once I put it into drive, the vehicle kind of lurched forward more than I anticipated, so I removed my foot from the accelerator, but the car was still accelerating as if my foot was still on the pedal. I braked, and was able to control the speed and slow down, when a warning display popped up that read:

1 Pedal Drive fault
Press brake pedal to
reduce speed
And then another message that read "Service vehicle soon" and the little wrench icon appeared.

I made my way to a parking spot nearby, and the car would accelerate as soon as I released pressure from the brake pedal. It felt very strange like I was fighting the accelerator the whole time while parking.

I turned the vehicle off, then back on again, and it seemed drive as normal, but the warning message about service vehicle soon was still showing. I immediately called my local dealership to get it in, as this seems like it could be a big deal. When I explained the issue, plus said that I needed to have the recall items also taken care of, he told me the next available time that I could get it in is 16 November, 18 days from now. I was somewhat surprised it didn't rate a little more urgency, but took that appointment anyway. I'll call around to other dealerships to see if there are any sooner options. Not sure if he thought it isn't that big of a deal if I was also scheduling the recall items.

I also thought this is probably an issue Ford should be aware of, but the dealership didn't seem to know how or if that should happen. Does anyone here know how to report something like this to the right team at Ford? I am glad I was driving, and not my daughter, who with less experience may not yet have had the reflexes to use the brake, as she is getting very used to the one-pedal driving.

Overall I've been really happy with the MME, and I don't really post much and am not a big complainer, but this kinda freaked me out a little today. I'll continue to drive it until I can get it seen to, but certainly with more attention to be prepared in case it happens again.

Thanks to all the cool stories everyone shares in this forum!
Sponsored

HuntingPudel

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT-PE, 1979 Fire-Am, 1972 K/5 Blazer
Occupation
Engineering
Country flag
Try disconnecting the 12V battery for 15 minutes and reconnecting it afterward. The car might reset.

highland58

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E GT, 2023 Bolt EUV, 2018 F150 XLT
Occupation
IT Solutions Architect
Country flag
My experience in these car washes is that I need to put my foot on the brake to shift into drive, meanwhile the track is trying to push me along while I'm stepping on the brake. This may cause the car to slip back over the thing pushing it along, but I am then able to shift into D. You said you put your foot on the accelerator pedal when shifting into D, I would not expect that to go into D since you did not press the brake pedal.

Crilly

First Name
Dale
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Livewire prius prime Mach e. In 3 weeks if it was built yesterday
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
When changing gears you have to press brake or strange things happen. Same thing happened to me yesterday. Had to turn mache off for about 15 minutes before everything was back to normal.

OP
OP
AdrianPaul

AdrianPaul

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
My experience in these car washes is that I need to put my foot on the brake to shift into drive, meanwhile the track is trying to push me along while I'm stepping on the brake. This may cause the car to slip back over the thing pushing it along, but I am then able to shift into D. You said you put your foot on the accelerator pedal when shifting into D, I would not expect that to go into D since you did not press the brake pedal.
My MME has never required the brake pedal to be pushed to go from N to D. I've had other vehicles that require it, but this one has not. Really beside the main point anyway, but interesting to know there may be different results across other MMEs.

Frankie

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MUSTANG MACH-E GTPE
Country flag
Shifting into D while you're pressing on the accelerator isn't a good idea regardless of whether or not the car will let you do it.

Plutoman15

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Excursion, Expedition
Country flag
depends if you just put it in N versus N then pushing L. if you push the L you must press the brake to shift it back into D.

I wait until the very end and right after a nudge push the break and shift.

Also, I believe if you put it in N and then use the brake to stop, the brake is set and you must push L to coast. If you put it in N and let it coast to a stop, it will stay in N and roll when pushed. Kind of tricky so I always just push L to lock it into neural and then quick push brake shift to D and accelerate at the end of the wash.

OP
OP
AdrianPaul

AdrianPaul

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Shifting into D while you're pressing on the accelerator isn't a good idea regardless of whether or not the car will let you do it.
I agree, and to be clear, I push on it just enough to keep the car from braking by itself (due to being in 1 Pedal Drive), I don't push on it enough to get it actually to speed up (visions of my younger days brutalizing a transmission with the neutral slam). Luckily I'm older and at least little wiser now!

JamieGeek

Threads
Reaction score
Website
spareelectrons.wordpress.com
Vehicles
Mach-E, old: Bolt, C-Max Energi, Focus Electric
Country flag
When 1-P is off the car will creep just like any car and thus you have to use the brake to stop.

Since it was faulting with 1-P off errors it is very likely that creep turned on. If you're not expecting the car to creep it can be a bit unsettling (and in some cases it feels like creep is a bit fast).

OP
OP
AdrianPaul

AdrianPaul

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
When 1-P is off the car will creep just like any car and thus you have to use the brake to stop.

Since it was faulting with 1-P off errors it is very likely that creep turned on. If you're not expecting the car to creep it can be a bit unsettling (and in some cases it feels like creep is a bit fast).
You may actually be right on the money there, since I am not used to driving with any creep, that could be it. Thanks to all who contribute to the discussion. I find it fascinating that some MMEs don't let you go from N to D without using the brake. I wonder if turning off 1PD affects that? I may experiment with that later.

SigSauer

First Name
Mark David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Preiumn in DMG, AWD, ER and 1928 Model A Ford
Occupation
Retired Sales Representative
Country flag
I though the "L" was pressed and the 1PD was to be turn off when entering the car wash. Is that right or wrong?

dfcliff

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E Select AWD
Country flag
I though the "L" was pressed and the 1PD was to be turn off when entering the car wash. Is that right or wrong?
Not required.

You can stop the car and put it in N for the carwash, but there is a safety feature that will put the car in park if you open the door at this time (why would you in a car wash?). Pressing the "L" button after putting it in "N" activates the Stay in Neutral mode which lets you open the door without it going into Park.

If you put the car in Stay in Neutral mode, then you do have to press the brake to go back into Drive. If you just put it in N without the L, then you can put it in Drive without pressing the brake.

SigSauer

First Name
Mark David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Preiumn in DMG, AWD, ER and 1928 Model A Ford
Occupation
Retired Sales Representative
Country flag
Not required.

You can stop the car and put it in N for the carwash, but there is a safety feature that will put the car in park if you open the door at this time (why would you in a car wash?). Pressing the "L" button after putting it in "N" activates the Stay in Neutral mode which lets you open the door without it going into Park.

If you put the car in Stay in Neutral mode, then you do have to press the brake to go back into Drive. If you just put it in N without the L, then you can put it in Drive without pressing the brake.
Thank you,
Sponsored