"Accidently" disconnected

macheavellian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E
Country flag
So I have been trying to manage charging to sub 80% but noticed a mostly annoying bug. When you hit stop charging in the Ford pass app, wait for everything to cycle through (blue light ring turns off, charging station clicks back off etc.) and then proceed to disconnect the car, you still get an accidently disconnected warning. If you go through the trouble of telling the car to stop charging and then disconnecting it, this error does not make much sense.

I am guessing that the warning is coming from the backend/server side of the app, either way it would be nice to patch this annoyance out.
Sponsored

heisnuts

First Name
Darrel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3 Performance
Country flag
Have you tried holding down the release button on the plug for about 5 seconds before unplugging it from the car?

OP
OP
macheavellian

macheavellian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E
Country flag
I have not, didn't know that was a thing. I use a Chargepoint homeflex for what's its worth. Even still it seems silly that if I am signaling to the car to stop charging, and then proceed to unplug it that it would get a hint.

macchiaz-o

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
🔑 ]not/A/gr8'Place.2.store-mEyePassword[ 👀
Vehicles
MY21 J1 Premium RWD SR
Country flag
I have not, didn't know that was a thing. I use a Chargepoint homeflex for what's its worth. Even still it seems silly that if I am signaling to the car to stop charging, and then proceed to unplug it that it would get a hint.
That signalling-to-stop-charging thing is primarily meant for DC fast charging. Not for the routine at home type thing.

On a regular (AC) hookup, you only need to hold down the button built into the coupler as you remove the coupler from the vehicle.

Mach-Lee

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium AWD
Occupation
Sci/Eng
Country flag
Make sure you press the button on the J1772 handle for half a second before pulling it out. That tells the car you're going to unplug it. The little button next to the charge port is for DCFC termination.

Also this behavior might be hardcoded if the vehicle is locked when you unplug it. Some people might not lock the car in their own garage while charging.

Mach1E

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach 1, Chevy SS-sold, GTPE delivered oct 2021
Country flag
Make sure you press the button on the J1772 handle for half a second before pulling it out. That tells the car you're going to unplug it. The little button next to the charge port is for DCFC termination.

Also this behavior might be hardcoded if the vehicle is locked when you unplug it. Some people might not lock the car in their own garage while charging.
Half a second?

I’ve never done that.

Is that in the owner’s manual or instructions somewhere?

Mach-Lee

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium AWD
Occupation
Sci/Eng
Country flag
Half a second?

I’ve never done that.

Is that in the owner’s manual or instructions somewhere?
No, it's part of the J1772 standard. Car needs about 100 milliseconds to respond and drop load so a slight pause is safest. Basically if you make press-remove sequential rather than simultaneous and it will be fine.

Mawby

First Name
Markus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1933 Ford Speedstar Roadster, 2021 Mache CA RT1
Occupation
Business Owner
Country flag
I find if you end it from the station side it is more graceful.

c max

First Name
phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 Premium Rapid Red
Occupation
retired
Country flag
you can remove that warning in Ford Pass ....if I remember, you go to settings and remove the message......if that is not how to do it, it is there somewhere, I did it and I am a techno-idiot, haha

OP
OP
macheavellian

macheavellian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E
Country flag
Thanks for the replies everyone, with all of the HVBJB concerns I am trying to be extra careful, I also just have a healthy respect for electricity.
Sponsored