Pravin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Job 1 MachE
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
When using AA wirelessly, the phone cannot connect to the in-car wifi hotspot. If it was possible to use the "wired" version of AA through the USB jack, then it would be possible to use the in-car wifi hotspot.

Has anyone figured out how to force the car to use the USB connection? There are two USB ports below the big touch screen, above the phone charging pad. Ive used the old USB connector port, but that does not seem to have the AA functionality. Probably the USB C connector, may be the one.

If any one has any ideas on how to get AA over USB that would be great. I saw a thread on the Carplay AI box, which happens to use the USB C connector, so maybe thats the right port.
Sponsored

macchiaz-o

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
🔑 ]not/A/gr8'Place.2.store-mEyePassword[ 👀
Vehicles
MY21 J1 Premium RWD SR
Country flag
When using AA wirelessly, the phone cannot connect to the in-car wifi hotspot. If it was possible to use the "wired" version of AA through the USB jack, then it would be possible to use the in-car wifi hotspot.

Has anyone figured out how to force the car to use the USB connection? There are two USB ports below the big touch screen, above the phone charging pad. Ive used the old USB connector port, but that does not seem to have the AA functionality. Probably the USB C connector, may be the one.

If any one has any ideas on how to get AA over USB that would be great. I saw a thread on the Carplay AI box, which happens to use the USB C connector, so maybe thats the right port.
I haven't tried it, but I think you can disable wireless mode by following these steps on your phone while you're NOT in the vehicle:

Launch Android Auto.
Select the Hamburger menu (three horizontal lines at upper left).
Select Settings.
Scroll down and turn off the "Wireless Android Auto" option.

First Name
Dean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2011 expedition,2018 edge,2010 escape, 2008 mini
Occupation
Technician
Country flag
turn app project off in the car screen, have phone unlocked before plugging in the usb cable both work under the monitor

OP
OP

PeeKay

First Name
Pravin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Job 1 MachE
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
turn app project off in the car screen, have phone unlocked before plugging in the usb cable both work under the monitor
So that did not work with my S10e. I followed your steps, but when I tap on "Connect Android Auto," it asks me to enable wireless display projection. Even if I enable it, no luck.
I have disabled wireless android auto on my phone, to force it to use usb.
Trying to figure out a way to used wired AA, so that I can connect to the hotspot and avoid phone data usage.

First Name
Dean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2011 expedition,2018 edge,2010 escape, 2008 mini
Occupation
Technician
Country flag
once you disable app project, check that you are wifi connected to the hotspot. Phone has to be unlocked before you plug cable in.

JCHLi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E First Edition
Country flag
I'm pretty sure if you go into the phone list, you can select to connect AA via USB and disconnect AA wireless.

AZBill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Hummer EV SUT, MME CA Route 1
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
I have iPhone 12 and CarPlay works either wireless or USB with no issues at all. I have actually used the USB C port and the other one, both work.

OP
OP

PeeKay

First Name
Pravin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Job 1 MachE
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Thank you for all the suggestions. I bought a USB C-C cable, connected the phone to Car hotspot. Then connected the cable to my phone, nothing happened.

Drove for a while and after a couple of minutes, the option to connect AA showed up.
This morning followed the same procedure, AA connected right away.
Hopefully it continues to work without issues.
I'll try the USB A port in a couple of days, to make sure it works similarly.
Sponsored